Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CGT tries to lose a vette...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 01:27 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

MAx benzo-out of curiosity on a 35 mph bank if clear of ne cars what speed are you entering in? I assume you have the Z06. How often do you go on DE's/track days? Can you elaborate what laptimes you'll do at Laguna/Infineon/T-hill since you live in the Bay Area? Regards. Mike
Old 06-30-2005, 12:16 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow some guy filming a Carrera GT going 45 in 35 zone.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:25 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 778 Likes on 360 Posts

That is the definitive proof of the 'vette's superiority over a CGT! I'm now cured of my CGT lust. Thanks, you just saved me $400k!
Old 07-05-2005, 04:29 PM
m21sniper
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quandry: "I cannot believe someone would actually think that a Chevy could run with a CGT. "

It's comments like that that'll make you feel REALLY stupid when you run into a Z06 running a 200shot of nitrous at a redlight.

There are PLENTY of Chevys(and Mopars, Fords, and yes, even ricers) that could easily out accelerate a CGT from a standing start. In fact, they grow on trees(just go to any drag strip for verification).

"Some people need to wake up and get out of the trailer park."

And some people are such smug asses that they need to run into an inferior chevy with 800hp just so they can get a lesson in humility. Based on your comments, i'd say you're one of them.

CGTs are truly great cars...but there's ALWAYS someone faster, and he might even drive a Chevy.

The fact is, if you started out with the same amount of money you spent on your CGT and made it available for mods on almost ANY sports car or GT it would crush a CGT on almost any course you could pen.

A 1976 Camaro(for instance) with $300+ thousand dollars invested in the build would be completely out of ANY production car's class.

You guys have great cars, but they're not the be all end all of performance cars, and certainly not for the price. If i could afford a CGT i'd certainly buy one(preferably used to save myself a ton of money, frugalist that i am), but i'd hope that i would not suddenly feel so superior that i began to look down on my fellow enthusiasts for having the unmitigated gall to think that their own 600hp Vette or Grand National or whatever might just have something for me.

My neighbor has a 1300hp street driven 89 Supra that he's got a grand total of about 40k invested in, and i know for a fact that by the top of the 1/4 mile you'd be lucky to be within 10 lengths of him. You wouldn't want to run him on the salt flats either methinx, considering his trap speed at the end of a 1/4 mile is higher than your vehicles MAXIMUM speed. If any stock CGT ran that inferior little supra in a flying mile they'd be very, very lucky if they could still even see his taillights...and your car cost what, 6-7 times more money?

Lose the condescending attitude, it's ugly, and is unbecoming of someone who's otherwise obviously been very succesful in life.

Edit to add: I am NOT defending the clowns in the video, i'm merely chastising the elitism that i see on this thread.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:50 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

No elitism, it's just that Porsche's are the greatest cars on the planet.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:01 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by rss997
Give me a break! Nice first post too.

CGT let him pass because he has a brain larger than a pea unlike the Z06 driver......What a stupid waste of a thread....
he probably has something else larger and isn't trying to prove anything unlike Mr. ZO6 in that vid.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:47 PM
m21sniper
Banned

"No elitism, it's just that Porsche's are the greatest cars on the planet."

You'll get no argument out of me on that. I like mine too.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:08 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by m21sniper
Quandry: My neighbor has a 1300hp street driven 89 Supra ... You wouldn't want to run him on the salt flats either methinx, considering his trap speed at the end of a 1/4 mile is higher than your vehicles MAXIMUM speed.
WOW!

Over 205 in the quarter?

What's his ET?
Old 07-05-2005, 11:41 PM
m21sniper
Banned

I've never seen him run it at the track(he goes every couple weeks), but according to him it's in the low 8s(which is actually pretty common stuff for the top jap cars nowadays, some of them are well into the 7's). I have gotten a ride on the street in it though, it's absolutely terrifying. There's no way i'd get back into it unless i was driving it myself.

It goes zero-100 in one twitch of the sphincter muscle, literally.(If you were to snap your fingers at the moment of launch the car would probably exceed 60mph before you were done moving your fingers)

Pretty amazing for a straight six.....even at 50psi of boost.

I'm probably off on his trap speed exceeding a CGT's top speed, but not by much. God only knows what the theoretical top speed of that particular car is, probably 260 or more.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:58 AM
DMin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, why all the h8?
Old 07-08-2005, 12:11 AM
Iridium
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 39 Posts

I know that road! There's always a bunch of Sheriff cars parked at the top of that section where it opens up. I think I would have baited the Vette along far enough and then let him by just before radar central ;-)
Old 07-08-2005, 04:16 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by m21sniper
I've never seen him run it at the track(he goes every couple weeks), but according to him it's in the low 8s(which is actually pretty common stuff for the top jap cars nowadays, some of them are well into the 7's). I have gotten a ride on the street in it though, it's absolutely terrifying. There's no way i'd get back into it unless i was driving it myself.

It goes zero-100 in one twitch of the sphincter muscle, literally.(If you were to snap your fingers at the moment of launch the car would probably exceed 60mph before you were done moving your fingers)

Pretty amazing for a straight six.....even at 50psi of boost.

I'm probably off on his trap speed exceeding a CGT's top speed, but not by much. God only knows what the theoretical top speed of that particular car is, probably 260 or more.
That's all good and well for going straight , but what about turning ( not on a silly skidpad) ? Your comment about the Camaro has me even more puzzled , so it takes only money to succeed ? Maybe you should start to consult Toyota in there 300 MIL + a year F 1 fiasco , yeah it only takes money........
Now from my own personnel experience in Germany running those " 1500 " whp Supra's , let's say from Munich to Frankfurt full bore will blow them up , unless the boost is way dialed back and they do only short sprints ( like the 1/4 mile ). Commited high speed driving ( 250 - 300 km/h ) exposes all the short comings of short term engineering eh " tuning " and that is a fact , not fiction.

Btw , the Supra is in good company , certain Ferraris have a tendency to grenade too when pushed hard on the Autobahn.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:04 AM
m21sniper
Banned

You are entitled to your opinions.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:41 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Two asswipes in a POSvette tailgating a CGT is all I see in this vid. I get ricers all the time trying to f with me, no place for that on the street, not 18 anymore.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:06 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

First, the CGT appears to me that he's just driving casually and being tail gated for an opportunity to film the exotic car.

Second, If I own a CGT I wouldn't waste my time on a Vet. Its definitely NOT worth the risk in a road like that for a half a million car to prove whats already proven over a 60K car.

Last edited by Carrera Mike; 07-15-2005 at 04:38 AM.

Quick Reply: CGT tries to lose a vette...