Notices
Porsche Supercars Carrera GT, 918,960
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ben lj Memoriam Website Up--Please Post a Comment!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 07:50 PM
AMG ETR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ben lj Memoriam Website Up--Please Post a Comment!

Hi Everyone,
I had one of the guys from our IT department working to create a site where we could organize all of our thoughts and comments about Ben for his Wife and Daughter. Please go to the site below and post a comment, quote, story or anything you please to honor and reflect on Ben Keaton's life. I realize many have already posted comments here, please take the time to copy and paste them into this site so that they may all be organized and easily accessable!!

Ben Keaton Memoriam Website

Thank you,
Evan K.
PS- Mods, can this please be made a sticky in all forums?
Old 06-03-2005, 08:12 PM
96C4S
Burning Brakes

My condolences and deepest sympathys to the keaton family, although i didnt know Ben personaly the feeling inside is gut wrenching. I wish i was closer for the cruise i would love to contribute in any way, we are all family people and car guys and with these to attributes we are united. Time heals all, god bless
Old 06-04-2005, 12:06 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96C4S
My condolences and deepest sympathys to the keaton family, although i didnt know Ben personaly the feeling inside is gut wrenching. I wish i was closer for the cruise i would love to contribute in any way, we are all family people and car guys and with these to attributes we are united. Time heals all, god bless
Could not have said it better myself.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:15 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Might I suggest an idea? Can we spread the word throughout the forums that Ben was active on and set a date and time for everyone to take a drive during the day with their lights on? I'd suggest a week from tomorrow, at 2pm, so that there will be time to get the word out.

If you like the idea, help spread the word on all the forums.

Regards,
Old 06-04-2005, 04:02 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by AMG ETR
...I had one of the guys from our IT department working to create a site where we could organize all of our thoughts and comments about Ben for his Wife and Daughter. Please go to the site below and post a comment, quote, story or anything you please to honor and reflect on Ben Keaton's life...
That's a great idea. But what is sorely missing in that memoriam is a photo of the man that is to be remembered. I hope this was an oversight in the haste to erect this site. As it is, all we see is a silhouette photo of a CGT, as though he were defined by this car, which would be a real tragedy in itself if that’s how most of us end up remembering him. I didn’t know the man, but I’ve seen some of his posts in the 997 forum, and from all the comments I’ve been reading from those who knew him, he seemed like one of the best individuals anyone could ever know. He certainly seemed to transcend all things materialistic. Yet, he is being associated and remembered by the car he drove, which is unfortunate for someone having such a big heart and love for his fellow man, as he is being portrayed in all the comments here and elsewhere.

If I were a close friend of his and was setting up this memoriam in his honor, instead of a photo of a CGT I would have a portrait of the man so that everyone who didn’t know him could see by his countenance what everyone who knew him saw – the smiling eyes that revealed the beautiful soul inside. As it is, all we have to remember him by is a photo of a car with his name below, which gives the false impression that he was defined by this car. It sure would be nice if photos of him and his friends in fun times could be posted as well in this memoriam. I realize this is a forum for car enthusiasts, but for times like these, it is appropriate, I believe, to forget our toys and be mindful of where real value lies.

Respectfully,

Ben
Old 06-04-2005, 04:11 AM
J-RAD
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Godspeed and my best to both families now and in the future.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:39 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
That's a great idea. But what is sorely missing in that memoriam is a photo of the man that is to be remembered.
Here is a photo of Ben (on the left) taken at a PCA-SDR Tech session last month where he allowed our region members to have a close-up look at his Carerra GT.

TT
Old 06-04-2005, 12:46 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by OCBen
That's a great idea. But what is sorely missing in that memoriam is a photo of the man that is to be remembered. I hope this was an oversight in the haste to erect this site. As it is, all we see is a silhouette photo of a CGT, as though he were defined by this car, which would be a real tragedy in itself if that’s how most of us end up remembering him. I didn’t know the man, but I’ve seen some of his posts in the 997 forum, and from all the comments I’ve been reading from those who knew him, he seemed like one of the best individuals anyone could ever know. He certainly seemed to transcend all things materialistic. Yet, he is being associated and remembered by the car he drove, which is unfortunate for someone having such a big heart and love for his fellow man, as he is being portrayed in all the comments here and elsewhere.

If I were a close friend of his and was setting up this memoriam in his honor, instead of a photo of a CGT I would have a portrait of the man so that everyone who didn’t know him could see by his countenance what everyone who knew him saw – the smiling eyes that revealed the beautiful soul inside. As it is, all we have to remember him by is a photo of a car with his name below, which gives the false impression that he was defined by this car. It sure would be nice if photos of him and his friends in fun times could be posted as well in this memoriam. I realize this is a forum for car enthusiasts, but for times like these, it is appropriate, I believe, to forget our toys and be mindful of where real value lies.

Respectfully,

Ben
Ben, you should go to that site and send this message to Evan (who created the site)...I think it's a good idea...
Old 06-04-2005, 12:56 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

I am constantly for the past 3 days thinking of what I can do as well....I've never met the guy, but something is terribly wrong, and i feel the need to do something....basically, something to remember Ben with
1) I was thinking of reading a paragraph on safety on each of my DE's (with permission from the sponsor) on safety in Ben's memory (How ever I don't want to scare all the participants).
2) May be sell t-shirts or something like it through the memorial site (done in good taste) and use the funds to start a scolarship/event/etc. (in his home town) in his name.
3) Have something permanent set up on rennlist under his name...I don't know what? may be a page on safety????

What do you guy's think?????I am not good at organizing any thing...so Anyone who think that these or any ideas and can actually implement it
Old 06-04-2005, 01:41 PM
AMG ETR
Burning Brakes

Hello,
While a good idea to have a photo of him, he did not like to post photos of himself or his car on the forums and it is out of respect that I am not going to do it for him now that he is not with us. If his familly would like a photo there and can send me one I would be happy to put it, but I am going to respect his wishes of not showing photos of him or his car.
Regards,
Evan
Old 06-04-2005, 02:00 PM
OCBen
Banned

Thanks for the pic Tom.

Good idea jeeva, I'll PM Evan and let him know. I think at least a link to a photo page would work just as well. I feel the same way as you, feeling the need to do something. I think your third idea on your list is a good one. Perhaps those who maintain this Rennlist site can create a forum category at the top of the listings entitled "In Memoriam", with a major thread category simply labeled "Benjamin Miles Keaton" where others then can create a thread with any particular topic of their choosing that would celebrate his life, such as recounting times or events where we were touched by him in some way.

And when another one of us passes on, the same can be done for him as well, that way we can all honor our fellow members and preserve their memory in this close fraternity of ours. After all, we hope this forum will continue forever, though we know the same can't be said for its members.

Last edited by OCBen; 06-04-2005 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Added last line.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:37 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by AMG ETR
Hello,
While a good idea to have a photo of him, he did not like to post photos of himself or his car on the forums and it is out of respect that I am not going to do it for him now that he is not with us. If his familly would like a photo there and can send me one I would be happy to put it, but I am going to respect his wishes of not showing photos of him or his car.
Regards,
Evan
Evan, although he may not have been one to post pictures of himself, this only suggests that he was an unassuming and humble man who didn't solicit attention. It is highly doubtful that he specifically requested that no one ever post photos of him, or expressed in some manner that those are his specific wishes. For a man of such apparent virtue, it would be disrespectful, I believe, not to give him the proper honor he so deserves. Can you imagine the look you’d get from a local newspaper editor wanting to publish his photo with his obituary if you gave him this explanation? In essence, by creating this memoriam you have become a publishing editor with the responsibility of honoring the man properly.

We really appreciate your initiative and want to thank you sincerely for your effort. It seems you knew Ben Keaton and know his family. Perhaps you might want to get their opinion on this first.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Evan thanks for your efforts in creating a memorial. I'm with OCBen in that I feel that picture is a little morbid. My father was killed in a car accident, an ominous picture of the Mercedes that killed him would be rather disturbing. I'd think a picture of Ben smiling with his daughter and/or wife would be more appropriate - just my thoughts.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:23 PM
AMG ETR
Burning Brakes

Guys,
I do not know Ben or his familly personally, nor did I make that photo. I know that Ben did ask that people not post photos of him and his car which is why I didn't not look for these photos to use. The photo on the comments page will be changed to a photo of his daughter sitting the CGT on Monday (This was the orig. plan, but ran out of time on Fri.), but I will not put a photo of him when I know he specifically didn't like it. If you feel differently please feel free to make your own site. This was a site for his fellow automobile enthusiasts and forum members to remember him so a CGT photo is appropriate in my mind. If it were for his close familly and friends I agree a photo of him would be much more appropriate.
This is how I feel and is how it is going to be on my site, this really isn't what is important though. His wife asked for a collection of his forum friend's comments so I provided this, I am sure it will not matter to her what photo is on the top.
Evan
PS- If someone would like to make a photo page, I would be happy to add a link to it....
Old 06-04-2005, 04:29 PM
D_Schultz
Instructor

Just an observation, but there were 2 souls lost in that car. Ben may have been a terrific person, but his passenger deserves as much respect in his passing (yet he has not even been mentioned in this particular thread!).

Rest in peace Corey Rudl!

Quick Reply: Ben lj Memoriam Website Up--Please Post a Comment!