Sponsored by:

Guys........BE CAREFUL

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 12:31 AM
SYMA
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Guys........BE CAREFUL

I'm seeing a **** load of your awesome CGT'S getting trashed. What's going on?

Please, be careful.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:43 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Cars get damaged, the CGT is no different, I don't get your point?

Last edited by Geoffrey; 04-28-2005 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:52 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

The proportion of damaged CGTs seems high to me, considering how few there are.

I hope the worst is over. I hate to see anything happen to these cars!
Old 04-28-2005, 11:19 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

It's a pure race car... very scare if you're not an experienced driver.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:35 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You've got to be kidding me right? A mid engine car with big tires, great suspension, great brakes, smooth engine...scary??? Yes, the car is expensive, that must be the scary part you are talking about. Any of the newer cars Porsche is producing are far easier to drive than the older 70s design cars. 911 Turbo, RSR are two examples, yet people seem to have no issue with those...I think you've been brainwashed by AWD in a sports car...
Old 04-28-2005, 12:53 PM
SYMA
Pro

Good bye Geoffrey.......I'm done with you.
I was being kind, concerned and polite to the owners of CGT's.There are a VERY high number of CGT's being wrecked lately.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:32 PM
jhunt@huntinter
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe it is motivation to find an unmolested undamaged CGT in a few years. Doesn't look like there will be any :-O
Old 04-28-2005, 03:03 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
You've got to be kidding me right? A mid engine car with big tires, great suspension, great brakes, smooth engine...scary??? Yes, the car is expensive, that must be the scary part you are talking about. Any of the newer cars Porsche is producing are far easier to drive than the older 70s design cars. 911 Turbo, RSR are two examples, yet people seem to have no issue with those...I think you've been brainwashed by AWD in a sports car...
Have you driven a CGT? If not, I would suggest you hold your comments. FWIW, the man who helped designed the car and considered by Porsche their best factory driver crashed a CGT. The car is wickedly fast and unless you are totally immersed in driving the car and controlling its awesome power, you can easily find yourself in a ditch somewhere.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:04 PM
RobertG
Racer

unfortunatly...Money does not always buy driving experience, hand- eye coordination and good judgement.......but then again. **** happens.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:15 PM
AW
Pro

Originally Posted by Nick
FWIW, the man who helped designed the car and considered by Porsche their best factory driver crashed a CGT.
Do you have more details. Who was driving?
Old 04-28-2005, 09:20 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by AW
Do you have more details. Who was driving?
Walter Roehl. I believe it occurrred during a test run.

My comments are not meant to take anything away from the car. It is a wonderful car but requires utmost diligence in driving it. I feel had Porsche perfected its DSG tranny for the CGT,( as opposed to rushing it to market) it would have made a huge difference in public acceptance and driver safety.

The car should not be selling for 10% below MSRP and being marketed by stuck Porsche dealers and owners as a firesale item.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:40 PM
Les Quam
Pro

In my opinion it's not a car that every person who walks into a dealership will find easy to drive. It takes all your concentration and in my opinion some minimum level of driving skill or experience to handle a 605 HP car. It does not have a computer to downshift for you like a Ferrari and requires you the driver to be able to modulate the power properly even with the traction control on.

This is similiar to the GT2s that have received body damage. Of the 24 2004 GT2s built for NA I personally know of two already that have been in the body shop after accidents.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:06 AM
themarsman
Racer

I don't feel the Carrera GT is any more difficult to drive at normal speeds than a Honda Civic. But you are talking about a car that has over 600hp and handles incredibliby so if you reach its limits you will be traveling at speeds that will only give you miliseconds to react. Most drivers aren't capable of recovering ANY car where the back end kicks out in triple digit speeds.

I have been to my share of track days and feel I am an OK driver, but I am also very confident that I might not be able to recover from the start of a spin at speeds the CGT would allow. I have seen many good drivers that as soon as they put slicks on their cars start running into problems. They are able to carry more speed through the corners and when the car breaks loose they have substantially less time to correct.

The driver whos car was pictured only had the car for four days, I think many professional drivers might not want to find out the CGT's limits in that short of a time. I would also guess that the person didn't have the break in miles on when he took it to the track so I also suspect that he might not have a lot of sense. I read on one of the sites that an M3 passed him, I am guessing that probably pissed him off and caused him to push the car past his ability.

It all comes down to respect, you have to respect the amount of power the car has and not push it past your abilities. From everything I have seen about this car it doesn't have ANYTHING wrong with it!
Old 04-29-2005, 10:04 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Walter Roehl. I believe it occurrred during a test run.

My comments are not meant to take anything away from the car. It is a wonderful car but requires utmost diligence in driving it. I feel had Porsche perfected its DSG tranny for the CGT,( as opposed to rushing it to market) it would have made a huge difference in public acceptance and driver safety.

The car should not be selling for 10% below MSRP and being marketed by stuck Porsche dealers and owners as a firesale item.
His crash occured on the Nürburgring Nordschleife during a high speed run and anyone who has been to the NS knows that it is a track where margins are very small. My theory is that most CGT's that have been wrecked have lost traction in the rear and because of drivers applying to much right foot and then not being able to bring it back once this very fine balanced car snaps out. No traction control, lots of power and grip does that.

But who am I to know, I've never driven one.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:48 AM
e6tme
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I beleive Rohrl actually crashed twice on the Nordschleife, once in the wet. Originally there was no plan to equip the CGT with any sort of traction control, but after these incidents Walter insisted otherwise.

Quick Reply: Guys........BE CAREFUL