Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CGT tested in Autoweek

0-60 mph: 3.5 sec
0-100 mph: 7.06
1/4 mile: 11:35 @ 129.5 mph
0-100-0: 11.6 sec, 882 ft
60-0: 104 ft
lateral acceleration (50 m skidpad): 0.95 g

"It is not quite as fast a a McLaren F1, .7 second shy to 100 mph, short by the same margin to 120 mph. But is there anything else out there that even comes close? Let's hope Ferrari will lend us an Enzo, and Mercedes an SLR McLaren to help us find out. Sure by any rational standard $440k is a ridculous amount to even think about paying for a car, even two or three cars. But after one day in the company of the Porsche Carrera GT, it really does begin to look dangerously like a bargain."
Old 04-08-2004, 12:40 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Anything else close? Is that really in the review? Boy. It would cost almost US$60K to reproduce those numbers in another vehicle ... say ... like the Radical ...
Old 04-08-2004, 09:54 AM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

Can you drive your Radical down the road to the drive thru then on to the track for some laps then drive back home in the pouring rain? Not saying that i could afford one but the Carrera GT is practical to drive daily for those who can afford while the Radical although affordable is not practical for daily driving. If i had 440k laying around i sure would buy me a GT but im biased...I just love Porsches.

harrY
Osan AB, ROK
Old 04-08-2004, 11:28 AM
Les Quam
Pro

A Ford GT with 550 HP has been tested and run the quarter mile at 11.6 at 126 MPH. I don't know if I could feel the 3 tenths of a second or 3 MPH at the end of the straight. But I am certain that I would feel the extra 300,000 dollars leaving my bank account. I too love Porsche's but 300,000 is to much to ask for some carbon fibre and a pushrod inboard suspension. Lets not forget Autocar mag tested the CGT and the best they could do was 11.6 in the quarter. If Porsche wants me to pay for their research and design cost's, thats fine but give me some performance that seperates the car from the competition. Lets also not forget Mercedes has two 600 HP cars available this year the SLR and SL 65 both will run low 11 second quarter mile times. The SL 65 will cost about 185 and deliver 612 HP and also be a convertible. For 446 grand I would buy a SL65 and a Ford GT for weekend track days and maybe the new 600 HP Viper.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:31 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Les,

I notice you didn't mention handling or feel anywhere in your post. Is straight line performance the only thing you look at when you buy a car?
Old 04-08-2004, 01:45 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Yes, that's why I own all the Porsche's for their unique drag racing capabilities how perceptive of you.

My point is that most of us will never be able to extract the extra tenths the CGT offers due to it's incredible technology, as opposed to the Ford GT. Chances are most of us will hustle both these cars around a track at the same lap times. Perhaps instructors and pro's can utilize the CGT to it's fullest potential and capitilize on the amazing suspension Porsche has designed, but the rest of us in my opinion will not be able to find a track or the skills to justify the extra 300 grand. BTW I have a deposit on the CGT I am still not sure about buying one because i am disappointed by the HP. I recoginize the car is the best sports car currently built on the planet. In my opinion for 446 grand I would have liked 650 HP. I am holding out that Porsche will offer a Hp upgrade. A slim hope I know.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:10 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

"In my opinion for 446 grand I would have liked 650 HP. I am holding out that Porsche will offer a Hp upgrade. A slim hope I know."

you serious? 6% more hp makes the deal for you? you do know it's already traction limited off the line?

"My point is that most of us will never be able to extract the extra tenths the CGT offers due to it's incredible technology, as opposed to the Ford GT. Chances are most of us will hustle both these cars around a track at the same lap times."

then what's another 6%!
Old 04-08-2004, 02:37 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Yes another 40 HP would close the deal for me.
I grew up racing karts, went on to race shifter karts on a pro and national level, graduated to open wheel formula cars , and raced some 600 HP vipers and feel like I could enjoy the extra 40 HP in this car.
Notwithstanding my experience I still feel like I could hustle a Ford GT or 600 HP viper around a track within a few tenths of a CGT for 300 grand less. And I don't think I could ever extract the full potential of the CGT. This car is a full on race car for the street with Le Mans level suspension. Full extraction will be left to pro's like Walter Rohrl and professionals who drive race cars every day. In my opinion.

Ben I am curious what if any cars will you have to give up to purchase your CGT. To afford the 04 GT 2 and the CGT a year later I am going to have to sell some of my cars. So to me I am overpaying to pay for Porsche's start up cost's and selling some cars it took me a long time to find. However I can get relatively close performance from a Ford GT and keep my other drag race Porsche's.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:02 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Les Quam
Yes, that's why I own all the Porsche's for their unique drag racing capabilities how perceptive of you.

Whoa, awfully easy to upset you isn't it? I made a comment based on everything I've seen you say about the Carrera GT. Every post I've seen was a horsepower comparison.

My point is that most of us will never be able to extract the extra tenths the CGT offers due to it's incredible technology, as opposed to the Ford GT. Chances are most of us will hustle both these cars around a track at the same lap times. Perhaps instructors and pro's can utilize the CGT to it's fullest potential and capitilize on the amazing suspension Porsche has designed, but the rest of us in my opinion will not be able to find a track or the skills to justify the extra 300 grand. BTW I have a deposit on the CGT I am still not sure about buying one because i am disappointed by the HP. I recoginize the car is the best sports car currently built on the planet. In my opinion for 446 grand I would have liked 650 HP. I am holding out that Porsche will offer a Hp upgrade. A slim hope I know.
Who's to say if its tenths or full seconds? Nobody knows until they are both put on a track... It's all guessing games until then.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:26 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

les, i only have two cars (other than my wife's): an F150 and the SC'd 996 cab. i was thinking about keeping the cab when the CGT comes, but i really don't see why. it's 3 1/2 years old with 15k miles (and i've only put on about 7k in 3 years!) though on the 4th set of tires! so, it's really more a play thing than anything else and i can't see why i would want it with the CGT also being a play thing. i was thinking that i could get a bit crazier around the mountains, etc with the 996 (which is rock chipped to death) than in an irreplaceable CGT, but i'm not sure it's worth keeping just for that. my wife has an M3 which i was thinking would make a nice mountain thrasher if i were to sell the 996 when the CGT comes but she getting a different car (probably a TT cayenne - though EVO is working on a 500 hp SC for the S) later this year for the baby we're expecting.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:27 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

"Who's to say if its tenths or full seconds? Nobody knows until they are both put on a track... It's all guessing games until then."

yep, and mucho dinero is spent by racing teams for every 1/10th
Old 04-08-2004, 04:26 PM
cf
AutoX

Default CGT

Les, I am curious why you like the GT2 so much since it is one of the most difficult cars to drive fast on a track.
I don´t understand why you persist on mentioning the Ford GT as a competitor to the CGT when it´s not.
The Ford GT might be a competitor to the GT2 but certainly not to the CGT.
I find the Hockenheim race track a very good place to measure a cars abilities, and as you well know Les it takes a lot to even shave a second of on a lap.

I leave you these numbers to reflect on before you cancel your order on the CGT Les.
BTW. Bare in mind that the Ford GT has not even been tested yet.
In the end it will probably not even produce a laptime of less than 1 min 12-13.

CGT: 1 min 08.7 ( 7 celsius )
GT2: 1 min 12.6
Gallardo: 1 min 11.8
GT3: 1 min 13.5
Turbo: 1 min 14.5
Zonda S: 1 min 11.8
Murcielago: 1 min 12.0

And the driver thinks the CGT is the easiest to drive fast with.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:35 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

No doubt for the money this is the best sport car on the road. However Les you make some valid points.

If performance on a track is the criteria then clearly you could do as well spending a lot less money. Additionally. because of the composite of the CGT chassis, I find it rather unsuitable for track use especially if other cars are on the track. Flying debris and limited bailout points would expose this $500,000 car to serious damage probably none of which can be repaired in the US.

Using it on US highways and streets would be analogous to sleeping with Kim Bassinger who is wearing a chastity belt. There just no way you can get the necessary room to enjoy the car. I would also think driving it on US roads would keep me sitting on eggshells in fear of someone running into it. I drive a red 360 Spider and other drivers are constantly driving close to me to view the car often not paying attention to what THEY are doing.

In my view the CGT value is in being a trophy car. Had Porsche stuck to their original production plans of 750 (even that was high for a super car) the car would have appreciated in value. Unfortunately, despite being universally recognized as the best supercar out there, Porsche in three years still has not sold all the allocations available(I understand there are 100 cars unsold).

That fact speaks volumes.BTW my comments except for the last paragraph also applies to the Enzo and other supercars.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:36 PM
Les Quam
Pro

I think the GT2 is the best handling, most balanced car I have ever driven. I honestly have no idea why people find it so difficult to drive. To me it is the best 911 ever built and a relative bargain. In my opinion the pre owned GT 2s are the best supercar value in automotive history.

For the same price as a Ford GT to me it's a no brainer. I'll take Porsche design and engineering any time. Not to mention 40 years of performance enhancements. Over a brand new design from Ford.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:47 PM
cf
AutoX

The instant you drive the CGT will make you put your GT2 up for sale.
I can almost guarantee that.
There is a world of difference.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CGT tested in Autoweek