CGT tested in Autoweek

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 04:14 PM
cf
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same combo as mine.
GT silver/Natural dark grey
BTW. what number does your car have,the one inside the car?
Old 04-11-2004, 09:29 PM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally posted by cf
Same combo as mine.
GT silver/Natural dark grey
BTW. what number does your car have,the one inside the car?
Old 04-11-2004, 10:05 PM
cf
AutoX

Have you encountered any problems while driving considering the cars low front spoiler/ground clearance?
Does it meet or exceed your expectations?
Is it easier to control at the limit than your 911?
Sorry for all the questions.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:03 PM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by cf
Have you encountered any problems while driving considering the cars low front spoiler/ground clearance?
Does it meet or exceed your expectations?
Is it easier to control at the limit than your 911?
Sorry for all the questions.
No worries on the questions.

I thought there would be an issue with the front lip ground clearance, but there has not been any yet. I'm used to driving my 550 Maranello, so I'm accustomed to taking most dips and driveways at an angle. On the road, the ground clearance question doesn't even come to mind.

One your last two questions, I was talking today with a friend who is a professional driver (toyota atlantic last year) and he asked me the same questions. I told him that the car is really a pure racecar with a more compliant suspension which makes streeting it an enjoyable, non-kidney jarring experience. The car, so far, exceeds my expectations by quite a large margin. I also told him that I have always been able to find the limits of every car I've owned before exceeding my own (forgive the inherent arrogance), but that this car is the exception. Granted, I've only had 100 miles of seat time, but I can already tell, with some certainty, that this car's limits are WAY in excess of my own, and that is very exhilarating!!! Overall, this is one AMAZING piece of engineering!!!
Old 04-12-2004, 11:29 AM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Les,
I was one of the gawkers at Rosen's...congratulations, and thanks for sharing your moment with us.
I can't think of a better way to spend 450K, or so.
Personally, I think you got the deal of a lifetime.
The $ isn't nearly enough to buy a decent beach house, really fine art, or most of life's luxuries.
450 K is about right to send 2 kids to a liberal arts college to come out without a clue.
Now, if you can come up with a way to sell envy, you've got that puppy paid for already. <g>
Perry
Old 04-12-2004, 04:34 PM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by PerryTishgart/996
Les,
I was one of the gawkers at Rosen's...congratulations, and thanks for sharing your moment with us.
I can't think of a better way to spend 450K, or so.
Personally, I think you got the deal of a lifetime.
The $ isn't nearly enough to buy a decent beach house, really fine art, or most of life's luxuries.
450 K is about right to send 2 kids to a liberal arts college to come out without a clue.
Now, if you can come up with a way to sell envy, you've got that puppy paid for already. <g>
Perry
Thanks, Perry. Do you think I could sell rides, if I can't sell envy?!?

You're right, though. As I was driving around on Saturday, I wondered if I had been stupid to write as big a check as I did for the CGT. I concluded rather quickly that it was in fact (I know, I know) a bargain.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:04 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 70 Posts

Now I have no doubt the CGT is one terrific automobile. However, I am curious. just exactly where in Phil. were you able to even remotely put the car to any kind of performance test?

Also, I can understand that anyone writing a check for approximately $500,000 for a car would be extremely hesitant to say anything negative about a it.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:18 PM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

Oh,no! not here too. I feel I should warn you Les, don't bite into Nick's malicious comments, in case you are not familiar with him, he does this in the CGT threads in every Porsche board... just ignore it, it seems the envy still kills him and still hasn't gotten over it
Old 04-12-2004, 05:46 PM
cf
AutoX

Let it go Nick, you have made your point.
A 360 is not even a real mans car.
It actually fits better in the hands of a young man between 20-27 years of age.
And I guess you are way older than that, although some of your comments could have suggested otherwise.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:58 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Les.
<<Thanks, Perry. Do you think I could sell rides, if I can't sell envy?!?.>>

I'm sure that you'd have quite a line up @ 100 a pop. I'd be in for one.
Another 4,499 riders and there you go.
What struck me when I was admiring the car, and then looking at the invoice, was it was just a matter of 1 little zero.
If you cover that last zero with your finger, 44 K magically appears, then it's not even a boxster<g>
Just in case you ever get bored, I can just hear the gavel drop at the next B-J auction...sold @ 750 K.
Perry
Old 04-12-2004, 09:54 PM
DGlenn
Racer

I'm in at $100 for a ride. Where do I need to show up?

Congrats!
Old 04-12-2004, 10:28 PM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Nick
Now I have no doubt the CGT is one terrific automobile. However, I am curious. just exactly where in Phil. were you able to even remotely put the car to any kind of performance test?

Also, I can understand that anyone writing a check for approximately $500,000 for a car would be extremely hesitant to say anything negative about a it.
Nick, notwithstanding the comments made about you, you asked two questions which I'm happy to answer.

I live in the Main Line area of Philly's western suburbs. Within 4 - 7 miles from my door are some roads that would make anyone from La Jolla jealous and anyone who's run Road America damn happy. Anytime you're in the area, I'd be happy to take your breathe away.

While certainly the most expensive car I've ever bought new, value is a relative thing. I'm eternally grateful to whatever gods have blessed me with the good fortune to have earned the ability to write that check without it having any meaningful effect on how I and my family live our daily lives. The car, however is NOT perfect. In two days of ownership, the passenger side window is not working as it should and the AC controls seem to have a life of their own. For the money I should've expected better perhaps, but who gives a rat's a$$. Everytime I fire the sucker up, I'm smiling. We should all feel that way about our automotive acquisitions whether they cost $4,500 or $450,000, IMHO.

Enjoy your ride, whatever it (they) maybe,
Les
Old 04-13-2004, 02:05 AM
Les Quam
Pro

I don't know about Nicks other posts but on this thread he has been polite and insightful.

Let me start the flames all over again. I just had time to read the autoweek article and was SHOCKED to see the test car was a radio and air delete. And still the car weighs 3043, and with the comfort group 3100 pounds. I have established time and time again that I am not the brightest bulb on the tree. But Mike,Ben, or Les need to explain it to me like I am a 6 year old. Why does a 446,000 car with the worlds most advanced carbon fibre weigh about the same as my GT 2 and a Zo6 corvette or a GT3 for that matter.

Labcars if your air and power windows are problematic and Tim Allens car had to be towed in already when are you going to get concerned?

Finally, why did Porsche select an air radio delete car for the test is someone getting worried in Germany? How do you say "ringer" in German?

And I still have a deposit on a CGT for summer 05 delivery but I am not yet a believer this car is worth 446,000 plus tax and insurance. When does the X 50 CGT option come out?
Old 04-13-2004, 03:43 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by W8MM
Les,

The price is, and always has been, 390K Euros. Back when I was writing my deposit check that was the equivalent of $300K, or so. The trouble is the currency exchange rates. When Porsche went to the currency speculators to lock in a hedge for 2004-06 delivery of the CGT, the Euro had appreciated a whole bunch. That's why it's $440K instead of $325K to $375K like we thought it was going to be.

You should be pissed at central banks, world politicians, or currency traders, NOT Porsche.
I think it's pertinacious, to say the least, to suggest the price escalation on the Carrera GT is a product of currency fluctuations. This is bunk. Porsche has changed the spec, reset the product position and price. Currency hasn't helped some markets, but that's no disguise to the overall change in the vehicle since its debut years ago.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:02 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally posted by Carrera GT
I think it's pertinacious, to say the least, to suggest the price escalation on the Carrera GT is a product of currency fluctuations. This is bunk. Porsche has changed the spec, reset the product position and price.
So, I'm guessing that your position is impervious to facts. How do you square a "since forever" price of 390,000 Euros (always the same, since first announced) with the $/Euro exchange rates.

When I was in Spain with my kids a few years ago, we were able to get 1.15 Euro for every $US. A CGT at that exchange rate (390K/1.15) would be $339,100. This is the same time frame in which the 325K to 375K prices were being floated by the dealers and the same time at which I made out my deposit check.

Now, the almighty dollar only fetches 0.82 Euros. That puts the CGT at (390K/0.82) $475,600, to be even with European customers. As you can see, Porsche is either undercharging USA customers, or did a reasonably good job of hedging the $/Euro exchange rate.

For you to ascribe a FORTY PERCENT (1.15/0.82) dollar devaluation to Porsche's greed says all I need to know about your talents for rational analysis, or your politics. Turns out the same either way.

Seems like there might be something to currency rates after all, no?

Quick Reply: CGT tested in Autoweek