mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by unotaz
I have 7000 miles
respect! i had 21xx miles at purchase now 42xx i think

and the clutch was still reading good at 29.6, but I did it anyways because that's the way I am and I want everything to be in tip top shape.
NOTE TO SELF: buy cars from unotaz.

Once you do your major, you don't need to do it every 4 years. Considering the miles we put on our CGT, every 6 years for major service is fine. If your car hasn't done a major service, you should do it now especially for low mileage example you got. I have seen a few CGT with low mileage that never got major service done and when they did, the camshaft needs to be replaced because the valve were never adjusted.
that's my concern for low milers as well. but i got lucky that the PO is about as crazy as you are. every 4 year on the dot, he has an engine out major done regardless of mileage. last one was 9/2017 so i am good for a few years.

My bill for the major service was around $33,000 including taxes. My tech (shop foreman) charged a flat $6000 for the whole service, with $27000 in parts (including the new clutch at $10000). Even at my special pricing for parts (I get all parts at dealer cost + 5%), it was a hefty bill.
all things considered, it's not as bad as i had prepared for. but it's not a small bill for sure.

Remember, every 12-18 months, Porsche jacks the price up for CGT parts.
i am starting a FUTURES market on CGT parts lmao

I only did my rear diffuser, as everything else on my car is fine. All CGT diffusers will need to be re-cleared at some point, they are all bad and will delaminate over time, especially the area around the top edge (under the exhaust tip area) and all of the screw areas. My local Ferrari body shop did the re-laquer for me for FREE (I ended up buying them a case of cheap whisky for their trouble). They did put 12 coats of clear on it, as the carbon is porus and sucks in a lot of clear, so you end up with a lot of these dimples if not enough clear is put on. It's a tedious process, clear, sand it down, clear, sand it down, etc. To do a good job, the process takes time and patience.
yes good craftsman hard to find. i would pay for your ppl's expertise when it's time. my would most likely delaminate and pitted from me driving over wet pavement getting sand blasted with debris...

You shift into 3rd gear when the car is cold. On the CGT, I wouldn't try to mesh into 2nd gear unless you are going full throttle. At full throttle, the gearbox comes alive and everything goes in like butter. On partial throttle, I would go from 1st into neutral slightly and then into 2nd gear.
right on.
at low speeds, even when warmed up i am slow and deliberate on each shift stroke. but at full song, that shifter is amazing. the clutch take up, brake and throttle positions are perfect. heel and toe in that car is like perfect sex...

THANKS Unotaz for all the real user info on CGT. while there are many of these things around, not many are driven so not many data points.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:38 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Over 12kmi on mine and clutch over 31m still. Last guy clearly a better driver than me!
Old 07-26-2018, 11:59 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 860 Likes on 381 Posts

I'm not understanding your question?

My car was serviced by my local dealer in LA? Aren't you in LA as well?

Originally Posted by MikeGT
$33k including clutch? Almost worth me shipping my car overseas!
Maybe your guy will sell me all the parts for $27k + freight?
Old 07-27-2018, 12:04 AM
Larryf
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 7000 miles and the clutch was still reading good at 29.6, but I did it anyways because that's the way I am and I want everything to be in tip top shape. Once you do your major, you don't need to do it every 4 years. Considering the miles we put on our CGT, every 6 years for major service is fine. If your car hasn't done a major service, you should do it now especially for low mileage example you got. I have seen a few CGT with low mileage that never got major service done and when they did, the camshaft needs to be replaced because the valve were never adjusted.

My bill for the major service was around $33,000 including taxes. My tech (shop foreman) charged a flat $6000 for the whole service, with $27000 in parts (including the new clutch at $10000). Even at my special pricing for parts (I get all parts at dealer cost + 5%), it was a hefty bill. Remember, every 12-18 months, Porsche jacks the price up for CGT parts.

I only did my rear diffuser, as everything else on my car is fine. All CGT diffusers will need to be re-cleared at some point, they are all bad and will delaminate over time, especially the area around the top edge (under the exhaust tip area) and all of the screw areas. My local Ferrari body shop did the re-laquer for me for FREE (I ended up buying them a case of cheap whisky for their trouble). They did put 12 coats of clear on it, as the carbon is porus and sucks in a lot of clear, so you end up with a lot of these dimples if not enough clear is put on. It's a tedious process, clear, sand it down, clear, sand it down, etc. To do a good job, the process takes time and patience.

You can fix the synchro, but nobody I know of here in the US has done a CGT gearbox. If you lived in the UK, they just send the gearbox back to the original manufacturer (a local UK supplier) and they can fix it for cheap. Synchro is weak on the CGT, and Porsche's official response is that you replace the whole gearbox when synchro goes out. And if you try to open one up, you can't return it as part of the core exchange. I think the retail price on the gearbox is around 39K, assuming you return your original gearbox as part of the core exchange. Add 11k more to the bill if you want to keep your gearbox.

You shift into 3rd gear when the car is cold. On the CGT, I wouldn't try to mesh into 2nd gear unless you are going full throttle. At full throttle, the gearbox comes alive and everything goes in like butter. On partial throttle, I would go from 1st into neutral slightly and then into 2nd gear.
Damn! Gioel’s old car needed that much work?
Old 07-27-2018, 12:06 AM
MikeGT
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts

Unotaz,
I miss read "if you live in the UK". Yes, I'm in L.A. as well...
Can you share or PM me where you had your service done? I'm assuming the location has a CGT certified mechanic. My car is getting near that time...
Old 07-27-2018, 12:14 AM
unotaz
Drifting

Clutch was completely optional and unnecessary, but I did it anyways because I'm ****.

So if you subtract the clutch, the whole thing was around $21000 (when you replace clutch, you need to replace a few other complementary components as well). There were a few parts that were iffy, so we replaced it anyways in case it breaks down the line. My car is on its third coil pack (previous owners replaced the coil pack twice). Although there were no misfire recorded, you could clearly see the coil pack cracking and on its way out. Interesting side note, the coil pack is now on its 4th iteration, so Porsche knows they suck and they have been updating them with newer designs. Hopefully this iteration doesn't crack that easily.

Originally Posted by Larryf

Damn! Gioel’s old car needed that much work?
Old 07-27-2018, 12:16 AM
unotaz
Drifting

PM sent.

Originally Posted by MikeGT
Unotaz,
I miss read "if you live in the UK". Yes, I'm in L.A. as well...
Can you share or PM me where you had your service done? I'm assuming the location has a CGT certified mechanic. My car is getting near that time...
Old 07-27-2018, 02:59 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Clutch was completely optional and unnecessary, but I did it anyways because I'm ****.

So if you subtract the clutch, the whole thing was around $21000 (when you replace clutch, you need to replace a few other complementary components as well). There were a few parts that were iffy, so we replaced it anyways in case it breaks down the line. My car is on its third coil pack (previous owners replaced the coil pack twice). Although there were no misfire recorded, you could clearly see the coil pack cracking and on its way out. Interesting side note, the coil pack is now on its 4th iteration, so Porsche knows they suck and they have been updating them with newer designs. Hopefully this iteration doesn't crack that easily.
wow i knew the original coilpack from 2004-5 was garbage and since updated.
didnt know the new stuff are no good either.
at least they are not hard to get to and iirc they are $1200 or was it 1800 parts and laborCoil pack pn: 980-602-904-03 $182generic Beru cross to the original part 94860210400: $32 each

i opted porsche branded coil as i felt the dealer deserved it.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:53 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Over 12kmi on mine and clutch over 31m still. Last guy clearly a better driver than me!
A new clutch reading is 31mm. how is yours over 31mm....?
Old 07-27-2018, 05:35 PM
unotaz
Drifting

LOL, I was wondering the same thing, but I didn't want to say anything. Even if you drive the clutch correctly from day 1, it still goes through an initial teething stage and you would see some wear initially. After the first 500-800 miles, it will stabilize but there is no freaking way to have a clutch that shows 30.5 at 12000 miles, let alone 31mm. A well driven clutch should last around 40K miles, so if you do the math, it's 1mm/13000 miles roughly (31mm is new, 28mm is worn out).

Originally Posted by isv
Old 07-27-2018, 05:49 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by isv
Fair point

>30
Old 07-29-2018, 09:15 AM
tims16m
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 42 Posts

Ok guys, joining your misery. I've had my Ferrari 16M for quite a while. Really liked the 16M a lot, had a great sound and the Superfast 2 F1 gearbox was a kick in the pants. Reluctantly, selling the 16M but I'm buying the CGT. I've had the CGT on my bucket list for a long time. No more room in the garage so something had to go. Next weekend, Silver /Ascot 1300 mile, bringing it home with a 250 mile drive. Unfortunately here in Texas, it will be 100+ degrees for the drive. Did the PPI everything looks great, oil change, brake flush, new tires. I think I'm set!!!

Heard about the camshaft issues, are there any signs of this problem, other than an incidental finding on the major service?
Old 07-29-2018, 10:57 AM
CGT000
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by tims16m
Ok guys, joining your misery. I've had my Ferrari 16M for quite a while. Really liked the 16M a lot, had a great sound and the Superfast 2 F1 gearbox was a kick in the pants. Reluctantly, selling the 16M but I'm buying the CGT. I've had the CGT on my bucket list for a long time. No more room in the garage so something had to go. Next weekend, Silver /Ascot 1300 mile, bringing it home with a 250 mile drive. Unfortunately here in Texas, it will be 100+ degrees for the drive. Did the PPI everything looks great, oil change, brake flush, new tires. I think I'm set!!!

Heard about the camshaft issues, are there any signs of this problem, other than an incidental finding on the major service?
You wont even remember the 16M. Took out my 550 Barchetta out for a long drive last night with my wife as she loves that car and thinks that my P cars are all too violent. I came home and felt nothing after driving it for 2 hours. I woke up early this morning and took my cgt for a drive. Damn that was fun. Still after 4 years of ownership, it puts the biggest smile on my face. Nothing like it out there. Enjoy yours in good health.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:24 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Congratulations on the car! Post some pictures of the drive home when you have time.

Originally Posted by tims16m

Old 07-30-2018, 04:22 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

I'm tempted to swap out the CS + 981 spyder for a 16m at some point. CGT not going anywhere.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CGT ruining me