Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CGT ruining me

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 12:16 AM
MikeGT
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts

O.k., I agree with the feeling of the CGT. And agree with CRex, my Cup car is probably near the top of the list for pure excitement. But what is all this talk about selling other cars as if nothing else comes close? The new (and old) Ford GT's are pretty fun and exciting to drive. I just picked up a McLaren MP412C last night. This car is like a go kart! 620 HP, extremely light steering and incredible steering response, and great sound with the sport exhaust. Yes, I would take my CGT like the rest of you. But there are some pretty exciting cars on the market (that are not 1m+ either).
Old 07-25-2018, 12:26 AM
MikeGT
Racer

Hey guys, can someone tell me why my post above created links on the words "steering" and "exhaust"? They link to some auto parts place.... seriously?
The following users liked this post:
localmotion411 (03-03-2020)
Old 07-25-2018, 12:59 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
After experiencing the CGT a few times, I'm considering selling everything I own except something from opposite end of spectrum, like an early 911. Even my FOREVER 997-4.0 might go up on the block. It just makes everything else feel pedestrian

First world problems.
Agree - sliding into a 600+ V10 V12 rear engine race street car is addicting - missed 2nd CGT boat.

Selling is a pia but thinking let go GT3RS 16M Speciale - grab more V10 & V12's Aston / Red Bull build is tempting also put a deposit on the new Lamborghini project. I am starting to realize why so many guys go vintage and stay there - the best driver cars with personality heritage may have already been built.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:39 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Oh man, I knew I shouldn't have read this thread. I'd love to add a CGT to the garage but my finances would require the 4.0 to leave to make room unless some of you guys can steer me some multi-million dollar listings in So Cal.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:42 AM
E-Man
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 130 Posts

^^^ I don't think the CGT boat has sailed yet. In a few years you may really be saying you missed the boat. Just a thought

Last edited by E-Man; 07-25-2018 at 08:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-25-2018, 03:01 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Oh man, I knew I shouldn't have read this thread. I'd love to add a CGT to the garage but my finances would require the 4.0 to leave to make room unless some of you guys can steer me some multi-million dollar listings in So Cal.
keep 4.0 sell 991 add CGT
Old 07-25-2018, 03:06 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
keep 4.0 sell 991 add CGT
When the time comes, I'll ask you and all the other guys in the know to help steer me in the right direction and find me one.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:19 AM
Larryf
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Fair point. There have been plenty of cars I've been blown away by during the honeymoon phase before i start to notice any of the "faults". CGT takes the honeymoon phase to a whole new level but it's honeymoon nonetheless. Your comment hit home. I planned to wait quite a while before I thinned the herd any because what I do have in the semi-perm collection has survived well past the honeymoon, for good reason.
Only thing I can think that takes off the bloom is those repair bills....been a few eyeopeners for sure..........
Old 07-25-2018, 09:26 AM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 868 Likes on 384 Posts

Come on buddy, you need to let these guys enjoy their honeymoon phase first.

Mine just came back from major service, including a new clutch, slave cylinders, coils, new AC control unit, new re-cleared diffuser and etc. Last year I replaced the leaky rear shocks and a few other misc items. While my car was at the shop for the major, there was another CGT in for a transmission replacement at 40 large, since his second gear synchro was completely shot.

Originally Posted by Larryf
Only thing I can think that takes off the bloom is those repair bills....been a few eyeopeners for sure..........
The following users liked this post:
whojoemama (01-06-2021)
Old 07-25-2018, 10:28 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Yeah, I know full well it's a maintenance pig, especially compared to any 911 variant. I've seen friends write maintenance checks and I saw the inspection estimates come back from cars I was considering. It's my ONLY high maintenance pig and another reason there's zero chance I own two. Because from what I've seen, time is just as unkind to them as miles, if not more.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:00 AM
cgt04115
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

These cars are no worse than an F40 F50 959 and whats sure to be the 918 in due time.

These things are much better than boats but look at what people spend on those? They go to half price immediately and are tens of tens of thousands every year just to run.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:13 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Larryf
yeah, i have them priced out some hypothetical items way before i started looking at CGT. it took me years to gather the courage to face that hahah

Originally Posted by unotaz
Come on buddy, you need to let these guys enjoy their honeymoon phase first. /
:-)

Mine just came back from major service, including a new clutch, slave cylinders, coils, new AC control unit,
what is your mileage and why clutch needed already. i hope my last me a few years.
i just did coil packs as well

new re-cleared diffuser and etc.
did dealer sublet out for cldear? my innder sill has some missing clear. not sure how they can shoot the clear on that as it's not individual panel.

...there was another CGT in for a transmission replacement at 40 large, since his second gear synchro was completely shot.
so syncro doest some alone, need the whole gearbox replaced? damn.
i been told by several CGT mechanic to not use 2nd gear when it's cold. just goto 3rd.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:42 AM
unotaz
Drifting

Received 868 Likes on 384 Posts

what is your mileage and why clutch needed already. i hope my last me a few years.
i just did coil packs as well
I have 7000 miles and the clutch was still reading good at 29.6, but I did it anyways because that's the way I am and I want everything to be in tip top shape. Once you do your major, you don't need to do it every 4 years. Considering the miles we put on our CGT, every 6 years for major service is fine. If your car hasn't done a major service, you should do it now especially for low mileage example you got. I have seen a few CGT with low mileage that never got major service done and when they did, the camshaft needs to be replaced because the valve were never adjusted.

My bill for the major service was around $33,000 including taxes. My tech (shop foreman) charged a flat $6000 for the whole service, with $27000 in parts (including the new clutch at $10000). Even at my special pricing for parts (I get all parts at dealer cost + 5%), it was a hefty bill. Remember, every 12-18 months, Porsche jacks the price up for CGT parts.

did dealer sublet out for cldear? my innder sill has some missing clear. not sure how they can shoot the clear on that as it's not individual panel.
I only did my rear diffuser, as everything else on my car is fine. All CGT diffusers will need to be re-cleared at some point, they are all bad and will delaminate over time, especially the area around the top edge (under the exhaust tip area) and all of the screw areas. My local Ferrari body shop did the re-laquer for me for FREE (I ended up buying them a case of cheap whisky for their trouble). They did put 12 coats of clear on it, as the carbon is porus and sucks in a lot of clear, so you end up with a lot of these dimples if not enough clear is put on. It's a tedious process, clear, sand it down, clear, sand it down, etc. To do a good job, the process takes time and patience.

so syncro doest some alone, need the whole gearbox replaced? damn.
i been told by several CGT mechanic to not use 2nd gear when it's cold. just goto 3rd.
You can fix the synchro, but nobody I know of here in the US has done a CGT gearbox. If you lived in the UK, they just send the gearbox back to the original manufacturer (a local UK supplier) and they can fix it for cheap. Synchro is weak on the CGT, and Porsche's official response is that you replace the whole gearbox when synchro goes out. And if you try to open one up, you can't return it as part of the core exchange. I think the retail price on the gearbox is around 39K, assuming you return your original gearbox as part of the core exchange. Add 11k more to the bill if you want to keep your gearbox.

You shift into 3rd gear when the car is cold. On the CGT, I wouldn't try to mesh into 2nd gear unless you are going full throttle. At full throttle, the gearbox comes alive and everything goes in like butter. On partial throttle, I would go from 1st into neutral slightly and then into 2nd gear.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:00 PM
MikeGT
Racer

$33k including clutch? Almost worth me shipping my car overseas!
Maybe your guy will sell me all the parts for $27k + freight?
Old 07-26-2018, 03:26 PM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Received 320 Likes on 92 Posts

I have 7000 miles and the clutch was still reading good at 29.6, but I did it anyways because that's the way I am and I want everything to be in tip top shape. Once you do your major, you don't need to do it every 4 years. Considering the miles we put on our CGT, every 6 years for major service is fine. If your car hasn't done a major service, you should do it now especially for low mileage example you got. I have seen a few CGT with low mileage that never got major service done and when they did, the camshaft needs to be replaced because the valve were never adjusted.

My bill for the major service was around $33,000 including taxes. My tech (shop foreman) charged a flat $6000 for the whole service, with $27000 in parts (including the new clutch at $10000). Even at my special pricing for parts (I get all parts at dealer cost + 5%), it was a hefty bill. Remember, every 12-18 months, Porsche jacks the price up for CGT parts.

I only did my rear diffuser, as everything else on my car is fine. All CGT diffusers will need to be re-cleared at some point, they are all bad and will delaminate over time, especially the area around the top edge (under the exhaust tip area) and all of the screw areas. My local Ferrari body shop did the re-laquer for me for FREE (I ended up buying them a case of cheap whisky for their trouble). They did put 12 coats of clear on it, as the carbon is porus and sucks in a lot of clear, so you end up with a lot of these dimples if not enough clear is put on. It's a tedious process, clear, sand it down, clear, sand it down, etc. To do a good job, the process takes time and patience.

You can fix the synchro, but nobody I know of here in the US has done a CGT gearbox. If you lived in the UK, they just send the gearbox back to the original manufacturer (a local UK supplier) and they can fix it for cheap. Synchro is weak on the CGT, and Porsche's official response is that you replace the whole gearbox when synchro goes out. And if you try to open one up, you can't return it as part of the core exchange. I think the retail price on the gearbox is around 39K, assuming you return your original gearbox as part of the core exchange. Add 11k more to the bill if you want to keep your gearbox.

You shift into 3rd gear when the car is cold. On the CGT, I wouldn't try to mesh into 2nd gear unless you are going full throttle. At full throttle, the gearbox comes alive and everything goes in like butter. On partial throttle, I would go from 1st into neutral slightly and then into 2nd gear.

Pretty much spot on with regards to the situation in the UK. The gearbox is actually sealed from the manufacturer (they are in Germany BTW not the UK) I had my 2nd gear synchro replaced some years ago, and am sure it will need doing again. Will dig out the manufacturers name from the invoice when I get a chance. The transmission is sealed by the manufacturer so back to them it has to go. Surely an option to freight it to Germany for the repair from the US even if you air freight each way be cheaper than a new one.

Quick Reply: CGT ruining me