Sponsored by:

Carrera GT Is Becoming A Sales Success

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 10:52 AM
Bentley
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carrera GT Is Becoming A Sales Success

The 12 January, 2004 Edition of 'Autoweek.com' talks with Mr. Hans Riedel of Porsche. He states that 1,000 of the CGT's have been sold already! Production of the vehicle is sold out through May, 2005.
Those prescient individuals who purchased CGT's may have big smiles on their faces now.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:09 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

I am not sure I agree with your opinion that it has been a sales success. This car has been available for purchase for over two years and they have sold 2/3 of the cars. Typically those that want one order early and have ordered one.

Having 500 yet to be sold for at this time is not encouraging. It also explains the heavy exposure and advertising with the car media by Porsche.

Contrast that with the Enzo. The initial production was 350 and only certain people were invited to bid on the car. Because the demand was so great, Ferrari added another 49 for a total of 399 and of course they are all sold.

Nevertheless, in my opinion regardless if it does not sell out, the CGT is the best sport car on the market today excluding the McClaren.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:05 PM
Bentley
Banned

'Becoming a success' as I had written, is NOT the same as 'has been a success' which you have mentioned.
It is unfair to negatively judge the CGT sales-wise until all of the numbers are in at the end of the three year sales period; At this moment to be sold out into mid-2005 is very good for a $440,000+ piece of technology on wheels.
The thing to remember is: It is not who is leading the race that counts, rather it is who finishes first that matters!
Old 01-14-2004, 09:59 AM
Sean M.
Instructor

I wonder if these numbers are sales to dealers or to customers. Are any dealers ordering CGTs without having a customer already secured?
Old 01-14-2004, 05:22 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

Four months ago, around 1300 had already been sold (click me and all questions are already answered).
Old 01-14-2004, 07:25 PM
Bentley
Banned

The cited 17 September, 2003 quote of "around 1300 Carrera GT are already sold" is without merit since it does not cite anyone at Porsche as the source of the sales quantity. Furthermore, "customers who order now get the car in 2006" is worth little since it also suffers from lack of authorization. In fact, it is highly doubtful that car ordered in September, 2003 would have to wait until 2006 to take delivery [especially since so many other high end cars from other manufacturers will be coming available in that time frame].
Just because someone makes a statement on the internet does not make it necessarily valid when there is no source content. If someone states a mere opinion then it may be dealt with accordingly.
Trust but verify.
Old 01-15-2004, 08:41 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Bentley
The cited 17 September, 2003 quote of "around 1300 Carrera GT are already sold" is without merit since it does not cite anyone at Porsche as the source of the sales quantity.
The guy that posted the quantity has deep connections within Porsche, but chooses to not quote specific individuals so as not to compromise his sources. Don't beleive it if you wish, but don't make unsupported statements concerning a blanket lack of merit. I've found the poster to be quite reliable, as a little surfing of that site would show.

Cheers
Old 01-15-2004, 08:55 AM
Bentley
Banned

The gentleman's sources are so reliable that in September, 2003 he states that approximately 1,300 CGT's have been sold, yet in January, 2004, a Porsche spokesman states that 1,000 units have been sold! If being 300 vehicles off in a current 1,000 unit build is satisfactory for you, then precision reporting is apparently not your requirement. His 'confidential sources not wanting to be named' regarding an incorrect approximation is laughable!
Old 01-15-2004, 09:17 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh, Bentley, don't be so prickly.

It's quite possible, given the conservative nature of Porsche management, that the "around 1300" number is from dealer deposits and the 1000 is from named retail customers. That fits with what my dealer told me about his allocation and the number of committed retail customers as a percentage of his allocation.

YMMV

Cheers,
Old 01-15-2004, 11:50 AM
Bentley
Banned

You keep trying to give validity to a writer who blew it [or his 'confidential Porsche sources' blew it]. Rather than continuing to try and justify ignorant statements from the hallowed gentleman, why don't you acknowledge the errors and go on with your life? One would think that this prestigious forum has readers who can discern wheat from chaff.
Old 01-15-2004, 11:55 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Bentley
One would think that this prestigious forum has readers who can discern wheat from chaff.
Bentley, I agree completely.

Good day to you, sir.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:10 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Its good to see that the proceeds from the three V1s I have bought are going to good use. Definitely saved me butt and wallet on more than one occassion. Nice to see you have good taste in cars also.

What color combo are you getting W8MM? How about yours Bentley.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:41 PM
Bentley
Banned

Ah! DougH, a voice from another thread. I am pleased that you think I will be purchasing a CGT. If I do, you will be the very first to learn of its color.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:47 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Doug H

What color combo are you getting W8MM?
That is yet to be decided. I'm trying to trade off the differences between the cooler-in-summer-sunshine Terra Cotta against the guaranteed non-windshield-reflective Natural Grey.

Outer colors are GT Silver, Seal Grey, and (maybe) Fayence Yellow.

Any ideas?
Old 01-19-2004, 12:22 AM
Les Quam
Pro

W8MM, I also have a CGT deposit and a car coming sometime in 05. But I have changed colors and interiors a couple of times. Perhaps you have more info than I do and can provide your thoughts. My first choice was terra cotta because I thought it was close to boxster red. However I viewed what appeared to be terra cotta in a mag. and it looked more orange than red. I wanted red ext. but want a black interior, I thought the Porsche natural grey was close to black until I saw the pics. of the CGT at the LA auto show, that car seemed to have a lighter grey than previous natural greys I have seen in current 996's. The little square color patche's provided with the order guide are of little help. So as of now my order reads Gt silver with ascot brown interior. What I really want but can't seem to get for 446K is red ext. black int. with dev. stich. What has your experience been with this issue. Sorry for long post.

Quick Reply: Carrera GT Is Becoming A Sales Success