Notices
Porsche Memorabilia The place to post cherished keepsakes and mementos of our favorite marque

Official Porsche diecast/model car thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 02:18 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

A bit of the collection:
Attached Images      
Old 09-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BSL
To do a respray you will want to disassemble the model. If you can strip the paint off first, you will get better results (won't look as thick as painting over existing paint). By disassembling you will avoid windows issues. For the crest, you can source replicas on ebay.

There are several diecast forums out there, and people will pretty readily share their experiences in modifying their models.

Thanks for the stripping tip. I am definitely going to take it apart but haven't seen crests on ebay yet.

Have a good one!
Old 09-13-2013, 10:50 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 917962
Very nice.

Any tips you could share on a respray on a UT. i have two identical 993 gt1s. It's the porsche crest and windows that have me worried.

Thanks!
Originally Posted by BSL
To do a respray you will want to disassemble the model. If you can strip the paint off first, you will get better results (won't look as thick as painting over existing paint). By disassembling you will avoid windows issues. For the crest, you can source replicas on ebay.

There are several diecast forums out there, and people will pretty readily share their experiences in modifying their models.
Yep, you really need to disassemble it. I have a thread where I'm using a UT to recreate a member's car. I won't have any updates for a while, but here is a link.

After everything is disassembled, the windows might be tricky. On the regular-roof UT 993 coupes, the windows are all one piece and riveted/mushroomed to the metal roof panel. Unless there was some sort of manufacturing flaw, you can't just go prying them out, they'll snap. You have to carefully shave down or remove the rivet 'mushroom tops' (numerous ways to do that), then gently pry. You might to remove more rivet metal, then pry gently again, etc.

Stripping the paint is also a good idea. Obviously you need the right chemicals and take the correct precautions.

I'm not sure what kind of primer is best for the zinc-aluminum alloy models usually are.

It's kind of related, but worth noting: On most UT Models (not just the Porsches) there is some sort of issue with the wheel paint coming in contact with the tire. The rubber and paint must react in some way, and the paint begins to 'melt'. It actually is as if its been slightly diluted and becomes gooey. Try not to touch it (or at least be aware of it); it is like anti-seize and gets everywhere (once you start removing tires etc.) and is very hard to remove.

Most all UT Models have this issue (on some it may not be visible). So, if you paint the car it may be worth it to repaint the wheels as well. However - removing the wheels is extremely difficult (out of all model manufacturers - perhaps the most difficult).

Try perusing this forum. The link is to the specific instructional section.

Take care,

Last edited by FrenchToast; 09-13-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:48 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 917962
Thanks for the stripping tip. I am definitely going to take it apart but haven't seen crests on ebay yet.

Have a good one!
I did take the 993TT completely apart. The only challenge for me is finding the hood crest. If someone has a link please share. I'll post a few pictures tomorrow.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:05 PM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 317 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by theporscheguy
I did take the 993TT completely apart. The only challenge for me is finding the hood crest. If someone has a link please share. I'll post a few pictures tomorrow.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobby-Design...item5d446e6cba
Old 10-23-2013, 09:51 PM
WyattsRide
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 104 Posts

Two of my hobbies looking good together.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:37 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Does anyone with an 1:18 AutoArt 997 want to do a favor? If the car comes with wheels that would be 19" in real life, would someone remove one front tire, and one rear tire and measure them? Inside diameter, outside diameter and width, in millimeters. If someone can, TIA.

Take care,
Old 12-03-2013, 11:01 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Cool thread I'll have to take a pic of my Porsche model collection when I get home...
Old 12-04-2013, 05:09 PM
fastcars914
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

What is this "Hershey" that everyone keeps talking about?
Old 12-05-2013, 12:06 AM
Jeffkilly
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Can someone tell me what brand to focus on when purchasing models? I am not trying to make money doing this, but would like to focus on quality ones and hopefully ones with good detail... Thanks.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:26 AM
WyattsRide
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fastcars914
What is this "Hershey" that everyone keeps talking about?
"Hershey" refers to the Porsche only Swap Meet in Hershey, PA. This held in April every year. Do a search in the Events or General Discussion sections here at RL on "Hershey" to find out about past Hershey Porsche Swap Meets and who generally goes.

It is run by the CPA-PCA - http://www.cpa-pca.org/events/2013/4-13/swap/index.html

If the weather is decent, it's a great time.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:45 AM
WyattsRide
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jeffkilly
Can someone tell me what brand to focus on when purchasing models? I am not trying to make money doing this, but would like to focus on quality ones and hopefully ones with good detail... Thanks.
There a lot of different brands out there. Autoart is a pretty good brand with lots of detail. But, you have to decide what scale you want also. 1:18, 1:24, 1:43, 1/64 and others. My general advice on any collectable diecast that you decide on is buy 2nd hand. Don't buy new. Most "collectables" cost a lot new and don't really appreciate in value. Buy off of someone that already paid the initial high price for a fraction of the cost. It's not like these cars have any wear and tear on them. They sit on guy's shelves.

Just my 2 cents. Some people don't mind paying for new.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:37 PM
fastcars914
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by WyattsRide
"Hershey" refers to the Porsche only Swap Meet in Hershey, PA. This held in April every year. Do a search in the Events or General Discussion sections here at RL on "Hershey" to find out about past Hershey Porsche Swap Meets and who generally goes.

It is run by the CPA-PCA - http://www.cpa-pca.org/events/2013/4-13/swap/index.html

If the weather is decent, it's a great time.
Thanks
Old 12-06-2013, 12:44 AM
Jeffkilly
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WyattsRide
There a lot of different brands out there. Autoart is a pretty good brand with lots of detail. But, you have to decide what scale you want also. 1:18, 1:24, 1:43, 1/64 and others. My general advice on any collectable diecast that you decide on is buy 2nd hand. Don't buy new. Most "collectables" cost a lot new and don't really appreciate in value. Buy off of someone that already paid the initial high price for a fraction of the cost. It's not like these cars have any wear and tear on them. They sit on guy's shelves.

Just my 2 cents. Some people don't mind paying for new.
Thanks for the response..
Old 12-06-2013, 11:22 AM
The NSX dude
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

Ive been collecting for about 2 years and Ive found its all about being patient and waiting for the deals. I generally only buy cars with their original boxes. Stick to AutoArt, UT and Minichamps. They are by far the best quality and hold their value, even increasing in some cases.

Just a small sample of my collection
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Official Porsche diecast/model car thread