Notices
Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

Is the 2001 GT3 Cup Eligible for SVRA/HSR Series?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 10:29 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 98 Posts
Question Is the 2001 GT3 Cup Eligible for SVRA/HSR Series?

Thinking about vintage racing as I get a bit older AND as the value of the race cars I have continues to appreciate. I looked through both the SVRA classifications and the HSR classifications and it seems that both series only go up to 993-era cars. Was also wondering how IMSA classified the 2001 GT3 Cup back in the day?

I realize that I could make changes to my 73S to race in both SVRA and HSR (and I may do that), but changing back and forth from PCA spec to SVRA/HSR spec (A/P) looks to be a PITA.

In the center of the country, is PCA the only viable option for racing an '01 GT3 Cup? I saw that COTA is on the SVRA schedule again for November 2017, and that SVRA is sanctioning races at Mid-Ohio and Road America as well. Just curious if others have looked at/considered this route, and if so, I would appreciate any advice and/or suggestions anyone would care to offer.

Toby
Old 11-27-2016, 11:13 AM
Jas0nn
Burning Brakes

Received 392 Likes on 185 Posts

Not quite what you asked, but there are other options:

You could add some ballast, change the spring rates to match Hoosiers DOTs, and run SCCA T1 ...

Or simply add a restrictor/ballast to slot into NASA GTS 3/4.
Old 11-27-2016, 12:01 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

HSR lets you run everything and your car will class with similar cars with similar displacement. They are very flexible and all about having fun.

SVRA requires a fuel cell. Other than that you're all set so if you have a fuel cell both series are open.

Come out and have some fun. The drivers in both series range from moderate amateur to very experienced pros.

Hope to see you. I'm doing the hsr event at Sebring next weekend. You can sign up all the way to race start almost.

Stu
Old 11-27-2016, 12:53 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Run with International GT in the Stuttgart Cup. It runs the same weekends with SVRA and its Porsche Cups, caertain Caymans (not sure what those requiroements are) and factory Ferrari race cars. Great group.

stuttgartcup.com
Old 11-27-2016, 01:42 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Toby has a pristine car, I think he's focused on finding places where he doesn't get hit...lol
He actually has another that's even more valuable.
He needs to get a spb...just to run in the "races" since the others are museum pieces!
Old 11-27-2016, 02:27 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

There are cars in both series out running that are worth millions. I find the drivers in both series to be very attentive to keep the equipment safe.

PCA can be overly aggressive at times.

Stu
Old 11-27-2016, 03:53 PM
chrcook
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran HSR with an '07 GA Cup in 2010. It was pretty tame. Basically, "Historic GT" allowed pretty much everything that smelled pro (there were even 964 and 993 Cups, along with some really cool air-cooled RSR). There was also a Pratt & Miller LeMas Corvette from 2007 or 2008 (can remember the year) along with two old Roush Trans-Am cars from the last 80s (they where the fastest). I concluded that if you show up, don't hit anything, they were pretty cool.

Also, each series (HSR and SVRA) now has series for recent pro-cars calls "Historic GT" or "International GT". I have yet to run, but know guys who have and stated that it was really, really great. Fun and the paddock and clean on track. Lots of laughing and bench racing.

I've also done SCCA T1 as well as GT2. If you want to keep your car clean, not recommended. In my region, the guys I run with are really, really clean and good guys whom I trust (I've done 3 laps literally side-by-side cleanly and gave up after my nerves where shot) but I've seen a lot of carnage in SCCA.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:41 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Stu and chrcook - thanks for the info.

Glen's exaggerating a bit..... Neither car is a "museum piece", but it IS getting much more difficult when looking for parts - especially my 73S (try finding someone other than Gus Pfister to do the correct work on a Bosch MFI pump!). I would prefer to keep both rides "clean" and still be able to race them.

I'll have a look at the Stuttgart Cup.

Probably time to get an SVRA/HSR/IGT license. Sure would be nice if SVRA/HSR would recognize PCA as a proper sanctioning organization for licensing purposes - no reciprocity, at least not based on the published docs. Hope they'll recognize my Bondurant school from 2006 along with 8 years of clean PCA racing!

Toby
Old 11-27-2016, 06:33 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Toby

I used my PCA license to get my SVRA license last year. That was before I learned that an International GT license/memebership will let you run SVRA and visa versa. Buy your ticket from International GT to help out our group...wink, wink..I ran with them at VIR and IGT is a great group. I plan to run more IGT than PCA in 2017. Schedule is on the website.

Cheers!
Old 11-27-2016, 07:00 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks John. Will definitely look into this. And since it's Christmas-time, I guess I would add one additional wish to the list reciprocity between IGT/SVRA and IMSA/FIA to secure an FIA license to be able to run in Europe whenever I go over there for a visit. If I had had one back in 2010, I would have been able to drive Spa instead of seeing the track as a passenger!

Toby
Old 11-27-2016, 07:58 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

IGT is a great group, lots of fun and clean racing.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:06 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

No problem running that car with HSR. Good series, sweet cars and nice people on and off the track.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:31 AM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+2 for IGT. It is where I am planning on doing most of my racing in 2017

Thanks

Ed
Old 11-28-2016, 09:06 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 706 Likes on 339 Posts

Toby HSR puts my 2001 Cup in Group 10 which has a bunch of interesting cars the race run group is usually made up of Group 8-9-10 cars so that makes it even more interesting especially around retired NASCAR cars
Rich
Old 11-28-2016, 09:31 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks all for the input. Definitely time to go get a license with these groups. While I am thankful for all of the good racing I've had over the years with PCA Club Racing, I am concerned about the increasing "red mist" I've seen in the last few years. Perhaps it's me and my ****-retentive perspective about keeping my cars in the best condition possible (without spending all of my retirement BEFORE I retire!) that has led to that conclusion. Regardless, I hope to see some of you guys out there at the HSR/SVRA/IGT events.

Toby

Quick Reply: Is the 2001 GT3 Cup Eligible for SVRA/HSR Series?