Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

991.2 GT3 Cup - First official Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 04:09 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by joeykid
The only thing it's missing is the abs. I just don't get why Porsche is holding on to this non-abs macho dinosaur approach for amateur drivers when the GT3-R gets abs, Ferrari's Challenge cars gets abs, Lamborghini Super Trofeo gets abs, etc...
Same reason all those cars you mention have traction control and the Cup hasn't. Gentlemen drivers with deep pockets that want to race fancy GT3 cars but can't be bothered to learn how to drive properly.

Porsche decided that for their Cup series it's the driver that should do the work, not the car. And as said here above. They are built for sprint races. Thats 25 minutes of driving at 101%. Don't need all that fancy schmancy stuff to save you there. It's not as if you are going to run for 60 minutes on a semi wet semi dry track, have to do emergency braking because a car in a slower class didn't see you coming etc etc, stuff which you can encounter during endurance racing.

IMO the only electronics a GT car should have in endurance is ABS. All the rest they should get rid off. But that's not going to happen soon I guess.

I wouldn't say it separates "the men from the boys" as it isn't inherently something related to risk, but thanks to this "dinosaur" approach to their race car you can be pretty sure that whoever you find at the front of the field in no matter what Carrera Cup or the Super Cup is one hell of a driver.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:17 AM
MirageJHU
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by YOCOHO
When will they be available for purchase in the USA?
Estimated Cost for us in the US?
Yes I agree I would like ABS.
Coyote
You can get one for this upcoming (2017) season if you are signing up to compete in IMSA GT3 Cup for the full year. Otherwise you'll have to wait until 2018...
Old 10-08-2016, 07:46 PM
JCL59
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mobonic
Did they mention they would warranty engines?

It seems like they should considering you cant overrev these cars anymore....Audi warranties their race engines....

This is great news for cup racers and bad news for anyone that had a 991.1 CUP, those are now redheaded step child

991 Cup is slower and more expensive to run....I can see 991 Cups tanking in price more as all the big boys racing in Cup Series will upgrade to new car with disregard to cost and fire sell the 991.1 Cups to get rid of them.

I have not heard of a upgrade package yet so I guess the 997.2 Cups will be phased out and the cup races will just be 991.2 & 991.1 Cups (platinum & gold)....I guess 997 cups are now just for club racing.
Confirmed by truspeed when I inquired about potential support for 997 in 2017.... 7.2 cups no longer elidgible for imsa cup gold class. 991.1 will be gold 991.2 platinum. Definitely see gtc5 growing next yr..

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 Cup - First official Pictures