Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

Open trailer with cup?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 09:39 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Open trailer with cup?

Anyone using an open trailer with the cup?

I am working on logistics and deciding if I want to get back into an enclosed. Seems like with this many sets of wheels, nitro, etc, open just seems like a hassle.

I would love to hear from folks using an open to see how they are doing it (or not).
Old 09-25-2016, 11:11 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Hard to fit them on a normal Trailex trailer, they are too wide.

I put front rims on the rear, and had to drive with the front tires on the side rails a bit.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:01 AM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 120 Posts

You need screw on windows to transport the cup on an open trailor
Old 09-26-2016, 12:29 PM
RSA964993
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 85 Posts

I was in the same position last year. I had an open trailer that I had used for my RS America and I ended up buying a 996 Cup. The trailer had extended ramps and did not have a winch. My first challenge was resolving the ground clearance issue of the Cup. The front splitter is really low and the front wheels are set back pretty far from the front which makes getting the splitter to clear the ramps a huge challenge. I ended up with a ton of wood to modify the ramps. Not ideal to be carrying slabs of wood around to load and unload the car... Second thing was getting the car on the trailer without a winch. I'm pretty sure the clutch life was being comprised with each attempt. I hadn't even thought through the window issue at that point...I ended up getting an enclosed trailer with a winch.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:21 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 120 Posts

Yes. The winch is a must!!! Proper cup race is clutch is switch..either it is on or it is off!!
Old 09-26-2016, 03:20 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To be honest if you are going to race a Cup and do it right with all the right equipment etc IMHO an enclosed trailer is a necessity, with air conditioning nice as well

Just to take everything you need, three sets of tires spare parts tool box nitrogen tank, fuel jugs...and for us a golf cart to get fuel and tires around the track and to the pits etc!!

Last edited by tkerrmd; 09-27-2016 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-26-2016, 04:36 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

nitrous tank
Wait, what kind of funky *** racing are you guys doing in FL?

Tom, Yeah, it's good advice. I am really close to just 'doing the right thing' I just wanted to know if anyone else is stupid/crazy as me. Ultimately I don't care I just want whatever is easiest.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:59 PM
Totor
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

996 cup on open trailer...
Big van for tyres, fuel and tools...

Old 09-26-2016, 06:44 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Same here Totor, but that's just us Europeans. We can't drive those big pickups with huge enclosed trailers behind like in the US. That would require us to get a truck license (le permis CE ) (not even mentioning the cost of getting one of those machines, the taxes, the speed limits ...).

I have all my stuff in the van + some race ramps for offloading (and even then I require some small pieces of wood for the last couple of inches or I am stuck to the floor in the pitbox).
Old 09-26-2016, 06:45 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by MSR Racer
You need screw on windows to transport the cup on an open trailor
No you don't

Normally Cup cars have windows.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:56 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Ok now I get it. You guys aren't allowed to run with side windows for god knows what reason they ever invented in the 70's.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:26 PM
entityx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I transported my 02 cup on an open trailer for about half a year before upgrading to an enclosed. You can manage if it you have enough space in your tow vehicle but it won't be ideal. I towed with a featherlite 3110 with a tirerack up front and a tongue box. I was able to fit jack, stands and some basic tools in the box. The rest was in my tow vehicle. Not having windows was never an issue (just don't tow when it's raining outside) or create plastic / cardboard cutouts.

One of the primary reasons I upgraded to an enclosed was to bring nitrogen - makes tire swaps and random jobs (w/ pneumatic tools) much easier. It's also enabled me to bring more spares and more hospitality stuff (tables, chairs etc). I do find myself bringing way more than is probably needed, but I'll never go back to an open trailer if I can avoid it for racing weekends. Plus you can always use your enclosed double as a cheap hotel room
Attached Images    
Old 09-26-2016, 09:06 PM
Red Bear
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is how my cars was transported in Europe but you better have track support.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:21 PM
chrcook
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It can be done. I've been using an enclosed trailex with a Suburban. It's very hard given all the infrastructure that's needed. Tires alone take up a lot of space, then N2 tank(s), stands, tools, fuel, etc., it's a lot of stuff. Yes, it can be done, but if you are the diver, having the infrastructure work for you makes life easier. After 3 years, I'm tried of lugging heavy stuff all weekend and I'm currently looking for a bigger trailer. Call me soft.....
Old 09-26-2016, 10:41 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by kgorman
Anyone using an open trailer with the cup?

I am working on logistics and deciding if I want to get back into an enclosed. Seems like with this many sets of wheels, nitro, etc, open just seems like a hassle.

I would love to hear from folks using an open to see how they are doing it (or not).
Buy my enclosed Trailex. About 1/2 the price of a new one and you can pull it with a SUV. Already in Austin waiting for you to take it home.

https://rennlist.com/forums/trucks-a...d-forsale.html

Quick Reply: Open trailer with cup?