How do you store a Cup?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 09:17 AM
Yannick-HST
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 57 Posts
Default How do you store a Cup?

Hey Folks,

as it´s winter-time here in Europe I just wanted to hear some opinions how to store the Cups.

Until now we always did the following:

Clean the car all way round (wheelhouses, all places under the plastic parts, etc.) and use some WD40 to prevent corrosion.

Put the Car-Cover on.

Put the C-Tek charger on the battery.

Put the car on Jackstands and open the valve to let the pressure go out of the airjacks and let it sit on the jackstands.
Why? The tires can loose some pressure over the long time and it doesen´t matter as they´re hanging free in the air.

Is there something that can happen to the dampers for example if they´re without force for such a long time? Any other andvices?
Old 12-31-2013, 12:31 PM
crashtest22
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

ours has just been sitting in the garage with a cover on it...not actually on the car but sitting on the top lol
almost time to put it on the lift for servicing
Old 12-31-2013, 12:40 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Yannick-HST
Hey Folks,

as it´s winter-time here in Europe I just wanted to hear some opinions how to store the Cups.

Until now we always did the following:

Clean the car all way round (wheelhouses, all places under the plastic parts, etc.) and use some WD40 to prevent corrosion.

Put the Car-Cover on.

Put the C-Tek charger on the battery.

Put the car on Jackstands and open the valve to let the pressure go out of the airjacks and let it sit on the jackstands.
Why? The tires can loose some pressure over the long time and it doesen´t matter as they´re hanging free in the air.

Is there something that can happen to the dampers for example if they´re without force for such a long time? Any other andvices?
We do the same but we also add antifreeze in case the power goes off for an extended period. (Utah) I have stored many cars over the winter months and haven't had any trouble with the damper shafts being exposed.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:47 PM
Yannick-HST
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replys! Then I'll just continue like that...

As the cars are in a heated building I didn't worry about antifreeze. Never had problems until now. But I'll add some within the next change of coolant.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:31 PM
cup997laurent
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

Is the original Porsche coolant ( the pink one ) antifreeze or do you add something to it ? One of my mechanics wants to use only water for the engine, i dont .
Happy new year
Old 12-31-2013, 02:43 PM
Yannick-HST
Rennlist Member

Supercup uses only 2 liters of coolant and 20 liters of water... Not much IMO.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:01 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

We use plain water with water wetter on the track, Porsche antifreeze for winter storage and transporting in cold temps. A couple of years ago we were caught in really cold weather at high altitude in Montana with the car in the trailer with no antifreeze, rather than risking freezing the block we drove through the night to get to warmer weather. Now we add coolant....
Water wetter and similar additives reduce the surface tension of the water which helps with heat transfer between really hot surfaces (exhaust ports and cylinders) and also help reduce the corrosion between dissimilar metals.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:00 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Storage of Cup Cars for te winter

Ship your Cup car to Florida/USA for the winter and enjoy driving Daytona, Sebring and Road Atlanta. No anti-freeze necessary! Say goodbye to the winter sport activities!
Attached Images  
Old 01-05-2014, 08:07 PM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice Jerry.

I was actually going to say, storage? I do not think the winter is long enough for the projects I have for it. I am already starting to think about an early event at VIR.

Ed
Old 01-06-2014, 02:11 PM
Yannick-HST
Rennlist Member

Would be nice to bring the car more southern (Spain, Italy) for winter-time... Maybe next year!

Quick Reply: How do you store a Cup?