Old 01-20-2014, 06:31 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 153 Likes on 97 Posts

Rich:
Which Racetech seat are you considering? The RT4009WHR? They will fit in but you will have to modify the Racetech side mounts to work with the factory Porsche sliders.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:42 PM
rwgrif
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uscarrera
Has anyone installed the RaceTech seat in a 2000 996 Cup? looking for a replacement for the stock Recaro seat with more "room"
Thanks
Rich
I feel your pain.....
Went with this seat for me: http://www.momousa.com/racing/seats/daytona-evo.html and put this one on the passenger side: http://www.momousa.com/racing/seats/supercup.html

Scotty at Heritage Motorsports did the install with the stock slider. It's a tight fit but it does fit.

If you'd like to park your happy *** in the seat for a "test" fit, let me know. I'm just down the road in Dunedin.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:37 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 613 Likes on 300 Posts

Went with a Sparco with mounts from Brey Krause removed sliders due to NO ONE else is probably going to drive the car, got a little more head room and with 2015 PCA rule change has me hoping made correct decision.
Rich
Old 05-28-2014, 03:59 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Confused....

My current seat is expiring--it's the OMP HTE Carbon and seems to fit fine. The PO had the side plates adjusted in a wonky way to fit the sliders, but that is now sorted. If I continue to use the side plates I will have to confirm that they meet the new 5mm aluminum PCA rule.

As for a new seat, there is the OPM HTE-R in fibreglass ($890) or carbon ($2,400), weight difference 2.8 kg (6.2 lbs.) and price difference about $1,500. I'm guessing that is much the same seat I have unless the "-R" means something. How can the additional price be worth it for the weight difference?

The RECARO Pro Racer HANS is fibreglass (22 lbs., or about 2-1/2 lbs. more than the fibreglass OPM HTE-R) and about $1,500.

The Racetech RT 4009 HR is fibreglass and about 19 lbs. for about $1,300. The Racetech RT4119HRW is fibreglass and REQUIRES a back mount to the rollcage at shoulder level, weighs 16-3/4 lbs. and costs about $2,000. Apparently not quite available yet is the Racetech RT4129HRW which is more than 31 lbs. and about $4,000 but meets FIA 8862-2009 good for 10 years and also requires back mounting brackets.

I'm a big fan of Racetech and I have seen their
about back mounting, but does that back mounting system work with a 2002 GT3 cup cage? It does not look like there is much adjustment in it.

So, is there any reason not to get the OMP HTE-R in fibreglass for a LOT less money?
Old 05-28-2014, 04:37 PM
Tim Kay
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris,

Thanks for the research, I'm getting ready to replace mine as well. Nice vid, the halo sure moves a lot more than I would've thought in a side impact (probably why I've see, via in-car cameras, the Nascar seats reinforced there). The vid also highlights the use of additional seat support at the shoulders. At $1,300 seems very reasonable with added safety to boot, Racetech will be at the top of my list.

As far as weight, I've got plenty to shed so until I do, the extra expense of C\F makes no sense plus I've got many seconds to better my lap times not tenths or hundredths.

Make sure you sit in the one you decide on, all brands fit different.

Tim
Old 05-28-2014, 04:45 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tim Kay
At $1,300 seems very reasonable with added safety to boot, Racetech will be at the top of my list.
Hope someone here has experience with the Racetech back mounting in the GTC3 cars, including my 2002 with the earlier cage design.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:03 PM
Tim Kay
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chris, even if the Racetech mount doesn't match up any fabricator can look at that design and make one to fit, it's a pretty basic design from what I see in the vid. (I have an '02 cup too and I don't see that as an issue). Plus, I'd be surprised if Racetech hasn't already considered fitment to a 996.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:13 PM
McRae
Instructor

First of all, don't forget that any carbon seat will always be stronger than the similar one in glassfibre, so it's not only down to weightdifference, the advantage with carbon. Personally the only glassfibre seat I would ever consider to use is the Racetech with backmount in place, all others are too soft in my opinion. To each his own etc...My life is worth a lot to me, others may have another view on what their life and health is worth.

Regarding the Racetech, the supplied backmount is just an L-bracket that then needs something fabbed to be able to mount it to each specific car type. In a Porsche or any similar type of car (with a homologated cage already in place, that can't be changed to suit the seat mount) you manufacture a crosspipe that clamps to the cage which you then bolt the L-bracket to. One clamp on the main roll hoop by the B post and one on the x-pipe in the middle.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:13 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

I just got an OMP hte400r. Very nice and comfortable.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:07 PM
major dad
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know how the FIA Standards affect you racers in the US but in Europe FIA Carbon Seats have a life of 10yrs and GRP 5 yrs.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:20 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by major dad
I don't know how the FIA Standards affect you racers in the US but in Europe FIA Carbon Seats have a life of 10yrs and GRP 5 yrs.
I don't think that is right. There is the older, five year life standard and the newer, ten year life standard.

Section 7 of FIA standard 8855-1999 (updated in 2013) states: "The usable life of an FIA homologated seat will be 5 years from the year of manufacture. For example, a seat manufactured on 1 January 2014 will be “Not valid after 2019”; likewise, a seat manufactured on 31 December 2014 will be “Not valid after 2019”.

FIA standard 8862-2009 states in section 11: "The maximum usable life of an FIA homologated seat will be 10 years from the year of manufacture. For example, a seat manufactured on 1 January 2012 will be “Not valid after 2022”; likewise, a seat manufactured on 31 December 2012 will be
“Not valid after 2022”. Notwithstanding the “Not valid after date”, a seat involved in a significant accident should be withdrawn from service immediately."

You can search for those regulations by standard number HERE.
Old 05-29-2014, 10:28 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
I just got an OMP hte400r. Very nice and comfortable.
Juan, that is described by OMP as "Specialty version for cars with small space in the upper part." Did you test sit it in comparison to the OMP HTE-R (no "400")? Any idea how it differs?
Old 05-29-2014, 10:38 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by McRae
First of all, don't forget that any carbon seat will always be stronger than the similar one in glassfibre, ... My life is worth a lot to me....
The FIA standards set performance standards, and they are the same regardless of material of construction.

I thought a bit more about what my life is worth to me as I was hanging off the side of a J/22 in heavy winds during last night's second race. As I was about to be swept away by the grey waters of the Delaware River I thought that I should get a competition seat that meets FIA Standard 8862-2009 - Advanced Racing Seats. It'd be good for 10 years, too.

Just kidding (about the seat, not that a crash tack almost threw me overboard).
Old 05-29-2014, 11:19 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Juan, that is described by OMP as "Specialty version for cars with small space in the upper part." Did you test sit it in comparison to the OMP HTE-R (no "400")? Any idea how it differs?
I tried a Recaro and 4 versions of the OMP. This one is about 1/2 inch narrower all the way through (both inside and overall exterior dimensions). The shoulder and headrest areas are tighter than the other OMP's by about 1 inch (eye measurements).

The headrest is narrower which I find more comfortable with the HANS. It looks like this is achieved by having more padding plus having narrower "wings".

They are relatively inexpensive if you don't go with the carbon version. The weight difference is not enough IMHO to merit going carbon for what we do.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:40 AM
McRae
Instructor

[QUOTE=Phokaioglaukos;11401746]The FIA standards set performance standards, and they are the same regardless of material of construction.QUOTE]

Yes, they set the MINIMUM standard, but not how far you go past those because of different material/build qualities.

FIA also set out the regulations for Formula 1, it's the same for all cars. Do they all perform on the same level? Not so much... Rather be in a Mercedes than a Caterham.

Quick Reply: Best cup seat