Notices

RIP Sean Edwards

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 07:40 AM
karlleonard
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RIP Sean Edwards

Hi guys just got phone call a hour ago off my brother to tell me that my good friend Sean Edwards has been killed in a Porsche cup car in Australia .. He was a passenger and was instructing ..!

Don't want to go into the details too much but I'm so Sad ..! I can't believe it as I type this tears are running down my face ..! What a great guy..suck a talented Porsche driver .. I still can't believe it

The sport we love is so cruel sometimes .. He just buried his friend Allan Simonsen a few months ago ..! So sad ..!

RIP my friend Sean ..!
Old 10-15-2013, 07:56 AM
Yannick-HST
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 57 Posts

This is so sad! Can´t believe... Rest in peace, mate!
Old 10-15-2013, 07:58 AM
karlleonard
Banned

Old 10-15-2013, 07:59 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 844 Likes on 519 Posts

OMG!! That is terrible news. Condolences to his family. RIP.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:23 AM
cup997laurent
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

Sad sad day, RIP.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:25 AM
al@cpt
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awful news, RIP.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:26 AM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Horrible. Absolutely horrible news. RIP Sean......
Old 10-15-2013, 10:28 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

I saw Patrick Lindsay's mention of Sean's accident first thing this morning. What an awful ending for a brilliant race car driver. Condolences to Sean's family and fiancé, and to his many friends here and elsewhere. What a terrible incident and outcome. Rest In Peace Sean. You WILL be missed by many.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:41 AM
RS-Basti
Intermediate

Very, very sad day for motorsports!
Old 10-15-2013, 02:41 PM
Q&A
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

Rest in Peace

Last edited by Q&A; 10-16-2013 at 03:04 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:02 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Terrible loss, what a talented driver
Old 10-15-2013, 04:05 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 150 Posts

Damn tragic and it was his father who pulled Nikki Lauder from his fire
Old 10-16-2013, 03:03 AM
gt2urbo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i cant believe it . shocked i follow him on FB. what a driver was hoping to meet this guy and have instruction one day ... feel numb . RIP Godspeed
Old 10-16-2013, 04:31 PM
Yannick-HST
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 57 Posts

I'm just thinking about this all day since I heard what happened... I just want to share my thoughts with someone else who might understand me. I think that this is the right place because many others here are as passionated about the stuff we do as I am.

Everytime I get into a Racecar it is like switching the daily trouble of. It's the time when I start feeling free and comfortable in a way a normal person will never understand. My mom always asks me what is so special about driving on the edge and searching the limits... Honestly: I don't have an answer! It's something only a real addicted can feel and understand!

I know that my hobby isn't the safest... And I know that there is always a risk that something fails! You can try to make it as safe as possible by checking your car as good as possible and you can do many other things to protect you and the others around you but there are just some things you can't influence. So everytime I close the door and fasten the belts I know that there is a risk. And I take it.

When I saw Allan Simonsen's crash on TV I was sure that the door will open and the driver will step out. It didn't happen... I tried to tell myself that he died while doing what he lived for and what he loved! Sure I was shocked, but I just kept going on... What else could I have done?

The same day, another track: A driver died on the Nordschleife. He had an heart-attack... It was nothing specific about racing and it happened just at the moment he was in the car. Sure it was a tragedy but it could also have happend before or after. Honestly: I didn't think about it very much. Not because I was disrespecting the driver but because heart-attacks happen in daily life and are kind of normal... Even if they are bad!

But when I saw all the posts on facebook today, written by friends of him, it was different: I couldn't believe it! I was shocked in a way that I almost never was before. A young man, not much older then me, who was always happy, who had always a smile on his face while talking abot this one thing he loved most and who also took this well-known risk many times before because he loved what he did. Someone who had the biggest part of his career still in front of him. And why did he die? Not because he did a mistake. Not because his car failed in a race. He died because he wanted to help others to live their dream in a faster and, more than that, in a safer way.

I asked myself what that means for me... Of course I feel sad. Very sad! Everyone who knew him does. But that's not what I mean: Can I calculate the risk if I sit next to someone else? Sure, like him, I want to help those other passionated guys to do the sport in a safer way... And of course nobody wants to get into the situation where the driver of the car is right now. But sometimes it just really really goes wrong.

I don't know.

The season is over and there will be much time to think about all this before it all starts again. But what he showed me is how fragile a human life can be. Maybe the time is long enough to accept it and to go on... But maybe it is also long enough to make me worry about all that even more...

I will definetely miss him! And I hope that he is at a better place now.
I read something yesterday that is absolutely true: Heaven has the fastest GT-Crew now that Allan and Sean are there! I would love to see the other drivers parking their cars in the pitlane one lap before the end of the next Supercup-Race.

Seeing him winning the Championship wouldn't bring him back but it would honor him in a nice way!

As the real Champion who he really was!
Old 10-16-2013, 05:57 PM
al@cpt
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well said, not much to add...

Originally Posted by Yannick-HST
I would love to see the other drivers parking their cars in the pitlane one lap before the end of the next Supercup-Race.

Seeing him winning the Championship wouldn't bring him back but it would honor him in a nice way!
^^^^^^ that would be really cool!

Quick Reply: RIP Sean Edwards