Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

Decoding GT3 Cup sequential

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 08:50 PM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Great write up, but I assume you only plan to run your cup in club races?
I believe since you have used non PMNA parts your cup is no longer legal in IMSA or Pirelli Trophy Cup West.
I truly believe you have built a better box and I feel bad for Guard as their gear sets have been disallowed from a couple of sanctioning bodies.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:56 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Extremely well done photos and description of the wear and damage. Thanks for taking the time to do such a thorough job.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:19 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfbum
Great write up, but I assume you only plan to run your cup in club races?
I believe since you have used non PMNA parts your cup is no longer legal in IMSA or Pirelli Trophy Cup West.
I truly believe you have built a better box and I feel bad for Guard as their gear sets have been disallowed from a couple of sanctioning bodies.
Unless the 2013 rules have changed, my parts are legal in Pirelli. Greg Fanz and I have spoken regarding this several times. A number of Guard geared cars ran at COTA last year in support of the F1 race.

Don't feel bad for me, though I do appreciate the sentiment. I've got plenty of gears in PCA,POC, NASA, Grand Am, World Challenge and other series around the world.

PMNA threw their weight around in IMSA claiming they couldn't have an "inferior" product damaging ther marque with DNFs. We all know it's because I was cutting into their profit margins. But IMSA isn't the only swimming pool around.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:43 AM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 42 Posts

Cool thread! Surprised no new ring and pinion or new case. Those usually wear also....
Old 05-03-2013, 10:02 AM
tedean
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

"When I decided to get a GT3 Cup car the biggest mystery to me was the sequential gearbox. What do I know about it? Almost nothing......"

Mikymu, I was glad you bought a cup because I knew great threads like this were coming. Thanks!
Old 05-03-2013, 01:47 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Yannick-HST
Hey Mike!

Thank you for sharing this! Our 2008 is going to have the engine (currently ~70h) and the box (~40h, 2009 spec) rebuilt and updated to latest spec @ Porsche Motorsport in Weissach next winter.

The parts still feel nice and sound good and healthy but we want to have maximum security and lower cost then repairing a broken trans or engine...

Loose-fit is already much better then '06 & '07 but 2012 gears are the way to go if you want to get the sealing on the engine to keep the car legal for the Sports Cup or GT3 Cup-Challenge here in Germany. That's why we can't go for aftermarket-parts like Guard or others even if we'd like to...
I see that you have no other option than going with Porsche parts in Germany. Now your Cup will be in tip top shape after rebuild

Originally Posted by amso3
Extremely well done photos and description of the wear and damage. Thanks for taking the time to do such a thorough job.
You are welcome. I can't take credit for the photo journal. Bill Rader did a great job documenting the whole repair process

Originally Posted by claykos
Cool thread! Surprised no new ring and pinion or new case. Those usually wear also....
Bill said everything else look great and keep doing what I been doing which is tranny oil change every 3 track event and more often if I grind gears

Originally Posted by tedean
"When I decided to get a GT3 Cup car the biggest mystery to me was the sequential gearbox. What do I know about it? Almost nothing......"

Mikymu, I was glad you bought a cup because I knew great threads like this were coming. Thanks!
It's harder to DIY with these Cup car but sure fun to drive
Old 05-03-2013, 03:18 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mikymu
Thanks Matt, I did not realize you gave me the fastest gearset from your shelf
I knew the rebuild gearbox will be better but I was not prepared for an easy 3 seconds shot in the arm

I guess one of your GT LSD will be in my wish list next. What kind of LSD ratio does Cup car use?
Spent my morning in a meeting with some very nice German gentlemen and have to get after it with respect to today's orders and customer inquiries so I don't have time to hang out and chat. However, I promise to come back and comment both about your 3 seconds a lap and the LSD. Probably be some time over the weekend...
Old 05-03-2013, 03:25 PM
Yannick-HST
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
I see that you have no other option than going with Porsche parts in Germany. Now your Cup will be in tip top shape after rebuild
I hope so!

Thing is that there is almost no other supplier for Cup-parts than Porsche itself over here.

If you decide to sell the car here everyone wants to see the Porsche-sealings on the tranny and the engine.

Maybe karlleonard can also tell you some stories as he sells this things here very often...
Old 05-03-2013, 04:22 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTgears
Spent my morning in a meeting with some very nice German gentlemen and have to get after it with respect to today's orders and customer inquiries so I don't have time to hang out and chat. However, I promise to come back and comment both about your 3 seconds a lap and the LSD. Probably be some time over the weekend...
did not know you are learning German ...

Originally Posted by Yannick-HST
I hope so!

Thing is that there is almost no other supplier for Cup-parts than Porsche itself over here.

If you decide to sell the car here everyone wants to see the Porsche-sealings on the tranny and the engine.

Maybe karlleonard can also tell you some stories as he sells this things here very often...
That's too bad when one supplier monopolize the market - usually means higher cost
Old 05-03-2013, 04:27 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

My parts are available in Germany. I sell to a number of people over there. And shortly one will even be able to purchase them trackside at The Ring.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:20 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

My parts are available in Germany. I sell to a number of people over there. And shortly one will even be able to purchase them trackside at The Ring.
that's great. with money saved by using your part German racer can get a year supply of bockwurst with beer

Old 05-03-2013, 06:05 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh my! Man I miss Germany...
Old 05-04-2013, 12:27 AM
mathisengineering
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can have the beer and pretzel and I'll go for everything that's left in that picture!
Old 05-04-2013, 01:02 AM
lordpantsington
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

That is a really big pretzel!

Thanks for posting this thread, was a great read.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:09 PM
ShootingStar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sold by a nice white bearded gentleman?

Quick Reply: Decoding GT3 Cup sequential