Motec telemetry - need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Mikkelop117
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Motec telemetry - need help

Hello!

When i have recorded a race with my gopro how can i set it up with the motec telemetry so i can see the speed of the car, in the video i have recorded?

It's an onboard video of course.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:30 PM
cid042
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No way to do this without a sync between your video and your datas. Motec sells a thing they call VSM (for Video Sync Module) that uses an audio channel to send a tone used to sync the datas with the video.

I don't know if you have a audio input in your go pro...

Long story short : Just buy a Video Vbox lite, a CAN cable and put the right Motec scene and voilà !

For less expensive than the Motec way (VCS or VSM).
Old 04-07-2013, 03:56 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Long story short : Just buy a Video Vbox lite, a CAN cable and put the right Motec scene and voilà !

For less expensive than the Motec way (VCS or VSM).[/QUOTE]

^ cid042 can you elaborate on that a bit?
Old 04-07-2013, 04:16 PM
cid042
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Leigh2

For less expensive than the Motec way (VCS or VSM).
^ cid042 can you elaborate on that a bit?[/QUOTE]

Sure !

That is the setup I have in my 7 cup : A Racelogic Video VBOX Lite, which is basically a GPS/Accelerometer data logger (like their Performance box) with 2 cams (one main HD, and one LD for PIP) and a cable they sell that connects to the CAN Bus of the car via an autosport connector. Really plug and play !

I had bought this system (for around 1500 euros, IIRC) before having the cup to get some data and moved it to the cup where I mostly use it for the video. It starts a new file when the car begins to move and that's it !

Just drive and get your SD card at the and of the day. No video cut to do after the event.

The only tricky thing, is to setup your scene with a Motec Dash style display. Racelogic offered me great assistance for that, and I would be happy to provide my scene to anyone that may need it.

You can see an example of how it looks like there : http://www.youtube.com/cid042

Don't hesitate to ask, should you have more questions

And the URL of the thing : http://www.videovbox.co.uk/index.php...vbox-lite.html

P.S : I have no interest of any kind in Racelogic.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:31 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,856 Likes on 1,678 Posts

First off, it is possible with Pro Logging enabled and using MoTeC i2 Pro to manually synchronize the video with the data in the same window. It is not possible, IIRC, to overlay the data on top of that video, just see what was happening and with the values displayed on the data dashboard at the same time. It is a VERY big pain in the *** and not worthwhile, IMO. I am an authorized MoTeC dealer and still learning.

I am one of the largest dealers of Video VBOX in the US, having sold over seventy units so far. It is $1750 for the two-camera VBOX lite and $140 for the cable from the Autosport connection to the VVBOX Lite, but I recommend that people take advantage of the bundle deal that includes the OLED display, which according to one of my 997 Cup customers is the best, real-time feedback tool since sliced bread! The bundle and the Autosport cable plus decent camera mounts would run about $2400.

I'd be glad to answer any questions and send the unit pre-configured with the MoTeC style "scene" (Video VBOX's term for the pre-set data background in the video) and ready to go. Let me know if I can help.

Video VBOX had a little bit of a rough start in December of 2010 in this country, but with all of the software and firmware updates, including auto-track maps (knows where it is as soon as it gets a GPS lock for all timing and lap info) and multiple scene loading, as well as better vehicle CAN interface, it's now a damned good solution and without a doubt, FAR less of a hassle to use than MoTeC, AiM and several other video solutions.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-07-2013, 07:42 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

FWIW, you are talking about Data Logging, not Telemetry which is an entirely different technology.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:48 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
FWIW, you are talking about Data Logging, not Telemetry which is an entirely different technology.
To expand, logging is recording information for later playback and analysis.

Geoffrey, I think, is talking about telemetry, the live transmission via radio or cellular packets of logged data, real-time and to a central location (pit lane, hauler, team server).

I read the OP as asking how to superimpose the data information onto the video, synchronized and arranged in an orderly way.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:03 AM
sergini
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

buy a AIM Smartycam ,the quality is not the best now, BUT it's the best to have onboard data videos ....
I know it will be soon avaible the HD

Old 04-10-2013, 05:53 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Or use dashware - search here for more - if you're reasonably good with your computer ie to sync as peter says

Last edited by HiWind; 04-11-2013 at 02:02 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:42 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I sell AiM SmartyCam, Video VBOX and MoTeC. Let me know if I can help. Dashware is cool, but takes nearly as much time as matching up video to MoTeC...
Old 04-11-2013, 07:13 AM
Air-21
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Peter, are you around next Monday / Tuesday during the Audi Club event?

Quick Reply: Motec telemetry - need help