Notices
Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

Rebuilding Cup BBS 3-piece Wheels - Easy or Hard?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 10:18 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts
Question Rebuilding Cup BBS 3-piece Wheels - Easy or Hard?

As the title indicates, can anyone offer experiences or advice on rebuilding the BBS 3-piece wheels found on our Cups?

Where can one obtain the new hardware kits for these wheels? (My wheels have 24 bolts around the wheel circle.)

Same question for pressure rings?

Are any special tools required? If so, where can one obtain these tools?

What torque values should be used when tightening the halves, pressure ring and center?

Can someone who is reasonably competent with mechanical "stuff" ( I've built 911S MFI and 930 motors) do this?

Thanks in advance, and apologies for the seemingly basic questions.

Toby
Old 03-20-2013, 10:57 AM
wagongotya
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

super easy. you'll need one semi unusual tool, a 12pt 7mm socket. I've personally had great luck sourcing the rings, seals, and hardware from Bob Woodman. They're extremely helpful and will be able to answer any questions about torque specs. http://www.bobwoodmantires.com/
Old 03-20-2013, 11:33 AM
ballzout
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought one of those sears craftsman multi point socket sets for $20, they work amazing, plus you'll have them around for more than a one time shot.
I have to replace a wheel inner/center again myself, I just go to BBS directly .
Old 03-20-2013, 11:36 AM
zweebach
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wagongotya
super easy. you'll need one semi unusual tool, a 12pt 7mm socket. I've personally had great luck sourcing the rings, seals, and hardware from Bob Woodman. They're extremely helpful and will be able to answer any questions about torque specs. http://www.bobwoodmantires.com/
It's an 8mm 12 point socket.

I'm in the process of cleaning up and rebuilding some now.
I agree about Bob Woodman: Cathy there has been very helpful. They had sealing o-rings and bolts dropped shipped by BBS America. They will also buy good condition pieces back from you.

One thing to sort out is which O-rings you have, so you probably want to go ahead and dis-asemble at least one wheel before ordering. The older style seals had a rubber ring glued to the surface of a metal ring. The new style has a rubber seal that fits around the perimeter of the metal ring. The new style allows you to just buy the rubber o-ring and not replace the metal ring (unless it's damaged).

You also need to know what length bolt you need.

Torque is 155 in-lbs.

I had my centers re-painted and will pick them up tomorrow. I plan to post some photos of the process over the next couple of weeks.

Last edited by zweebach; 03-20-2013 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Added detail about bolt lenth.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:48 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. zweebach, I would be interested in your pictures of the process.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:45 PM
chrcook
Racer

Toby,

I've always worked directly with BBS in Braselton GA (Eric or Zach in service). They are good, helpful and fast. Rebuild mine last set in the living room floor while drinking a beer and watching TV. Very easy, no special tools (other than a very small torque wrench). BTW, be sure to use new seals and hardware. The BBS techs told me to always use new seals and hardware anythime they are apart (neither are very expensive). Despite the low torque, the bolts apparently have some elasticitiy, like head studs.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:01 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Chris. Any wheel updates?
Old 03-20-2013, 07:37 PM
chrcook
Racer

Toby,

Yep, expect to pick them up around 22-Apr (maybe sooner, depending on car progress). Should have pics shortly thereafter. Does that work?

Christian
Old 03-20-2013, 09:47 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Will be close. COTA is May 10-12 (assuming I get in!). Keep me posted sir!
Old 03-22-2013, 10:48 AM
ballzout
Advanced

BBS has NO more centers for 996 Cups, Zack said Germany plans to stop making them all together, they are pushing the 997...why is it all the writing on the wall says buy a 997 Cup car
Old 03-25-2013, 12:32 AM
zweebach
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Instructions are up! I created a thread in the wheel and tire forum. Now that I think about it, it could have gone in the DIY section. Hopefully this helps, as I had to do a bit of research determine the correct process.

https://rennlist.com/forums/wheel-an...tructions.html
Old 03-29-2013, 07:53 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

So what is the preferred method to restore the inner and outer pieces to a respectable appearance? Good old fashion elbow grease? What are you guys using to clean out the insides of the wheels? And what is the best way to polish up the outer (polished) portion of the wheel?

My centers are off to be powdercoated so I need to get busy and clean up 8 wheels pronto! Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

And thanks for all the earlier input on disassembling and assembling the wheels. So far, so good. New pressure disks, seals and bolts are on order for all 8 wheels.

And if Christian has that set available soon, I'll get to do this all over again!

Toby
Old 04-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Anybody have a pair of BBS 9.5" inners for a Cup? One set of my wheels were not updated in the rear - still have 9" inner barrels on them! And if I can find the 9.5" pair, I'll be selling my 9" inners.

Toby
Old 04-02-2013, 03:49 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

check with mark mathis - he had a pile o centres
Old 04-02-2013, 05:35 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

it is straight forward. follow the steps.

Quick Reply: Rebuilding Cup BBS 3-piece Wheels - Easy or Hard?