Which Motec in 2004 cup?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 09:06 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I can provide both...

An MXL is $1995, includes the harness to the unit and for the ECU CAN, includes logging, has integral shift lights, but needs a GPS-05 module ($399) or a SmartyCam for GPS timing and maps.

What I'm recommending now is an EVO4 logger at $1199 (has three-axis accelerometer and GPS built in) plus an MXL dash at $899 (the display only).

The EVO4/MXL-Dash combo has the latest GPS and hardware architecture plus the braking accelerometer that I think is REALLY important. It will take up to five additional analog sensor inputs plus ALL the CAN info as listed above from the Bosch ECU in the Cup car.

Thanks a lot for all the info!

What exactly is the advantage of getting an MXL Pista if the MXL dash + EVO4 does the same stuff cheaper (since it includes a GPS unit)? To put it differently: why would anyone buy a Pista dash considering the price difference with EVO+dash?
Old 01-01-2013, 09:10 AM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, you can do a pair of SmartyCams connected to a hub and fed throttle position, brake pressure or longitudinal G's and all kinds of temps and pressures recorded real-time from information provided by the logger.

Take the card(s) out of the camera, plug 'em in and play in about 30'.

AiM is the one to do this (that includes a dash display), otherwise VideoVBox or Race-Keeper work well as an "intelligent video" generator, and both are multi-camera...
It is not a bad solution, but what you end up with is a view out the front with data and a view out the back with data, not a picture in picture with data, correct?

What they need to do is have an upgraded smarty cam that pulls in a second vid signal to overlay on the first.

Thanks

Ed
Old 01-01-2013, 12:02 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Thanks a lot for all the info!

What exactly is the advantage of getting an MXL Pista if the MXL dash + EVO4 does the same stuff cheaper (since it includes a GPS unit)? To put it differently: why would anyone buy a Pista dash considering the price difference with EVO+dash?
Absolutely no advantage with the MXL Pista.

Pista is old tech, came out in 2004 (IIRC), pre-GPS, pre-longG measure, etc.

EVO4 is new tech (what the MXL2 is based on, integral GPS, three axis accelerometers, better construction. Introduced in 2010, IIRC. MXL-Dash introduced in 2011-2012 because they knew the combo was a better solution, for only $98 more...

Originally Posted by 911racer
It is not a bad solution, but what you end up with is a view out the front with data and a view out the back with data, not a picture in picture with data, correct?

What they need to do is have an upgraded smarty cam that pulls in a second vid signal to overlay on the first.

Thanks

Ed
True, no current-rendered PIP with this setup. Gotta do it after the fact. What a PITA!

In all the years I've done this, the only PIP real-time render that works well for me is VVB Lite. But the trade offs for far less powerful data logging and the requirement of only the VVBL OLED display doesn't work for people who need or want a full featured dash.

For most folks, PIP is great entertainment, but offers little value in assessing their own performance, IMO. Both VVBL and R-K offer decent multi-camera setups, but the idea of two AiM SC's or two GoPro Hero 2's, then editing them together after the fact makes my head hurt!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-02-2013, 07:18 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

The MXL and in the next few months, the MXL2
FYI:

information from AIM as of today:
"Referring to MXL-2 and SmartyCam HD we are working on these projects and we expect to be ready with these products during the year 2013 but not soon, so you can consider the actual product range as valid for the new season."
Old 01-02-2013, 10:46 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I've been through several product launches as an AiM dealer.

That's why I always recommend pulling the trigger now, as opposed to waiting.

The EVO4/MXL-Dash is more than adequate for your needs and will do the most for the least amount of money. It will also be current and not obsolete for more than half a decade, IMO.

I've sent you a PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:21 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

I already replied to your pm

I know, it is not as if I will be able to do anything more with the newer versions. I'm not going to be using all the analogue inputs anyway, and I'm not participating in the 2013 Supercup
Old 11-19-2013, 02:40 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I've been through several product launches as an AiM dealer.

That's why I always recommend pulling the trigger now, as opposed to waiting.
It's been 10 months. What is the word on the MXL 2? I don't see it for sale, but there is an (attached) data sheet.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
aim_mxl2.pdf (586.0 KB, 290 views)
Old 11-19-2013, 02:55 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

They have an announcement at PRI in a couple of weeks. All they have really told people is listed below, but you can get an idea.
Attached Images  
Old 11-19-2013, 03:16 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Matt. The data sheet I found said a lot more! WiFi, too. I wonder if that is all gone away.

Interesting that AiM announced the MXL-2 last year at PRI and it's still not out. Issues? Switching to a color display to compete with the C125?

Be sure to let us know!
Old 11-19-2013, 03:29 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

My guess would be mission creep. I know it happened on the SCHD, which gave us a much better product. Even though it's fuzzy, the display in the image above is much different than the MXL2. It will be interesting to see!
Old 11-21-2013, 04:08 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

The MXG is an outgrowth of a bespoke logger they did for VW, IIRC.

Given that the MXL2 is only now undergoing final testing (and was shown at PRI LAST year), it's GOING to be a good while before we see the MXG.

I'd be happy with the MXL2, if it will only come...
Old 12-18-2013, 10:21 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Default AIM MXL2

What's the current word? I see it's on the UK website (HERE), but not on the US site? Another website says: "The availability date for the MXL2 is now February or Q1 2014 which is about 1 year later than originally promised."

I see no need for the MXG, but the MXL2 looks to be a useful upgrade--if it is ever offered for sale and it works. What is AiM's history with new releases? Do they work first time or is the MXL2 not likely to be bug-fixed for another year?
Old 12-18-2013, 10:50 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The MXL2 and the MXG are based on the same guts along with the Evo5. All are expected to be released first quarter.

The major difference in the MXL2 and the MXG are that the MXG has 8 alarms, a full color display, and unlimited display pages. The plan I was told for the MXG is that the display programming will be much like a SmartyCam where you can drag and drop things where ever you want.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:03 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
What's the current word? I see it's on the UK website (HERE), but not on the US site? Another website says: "The availability date for the MXL2 is now February or Q1 2014 which is about 1 year later than originally promised."

I see no need for the MXG, but the MXL2 looks to be a useful upgrade--if it is ever offered for sale and it works. What is AiM's history with new releases? Do they work first time or is the MXL2 not likely to be bug-fixed for another year?
I can say that the "mission creep" that Matt talked about is very likely the reason for the delay in releasing the MXL2. The internal processor as well as BT and 802.11 chipsets have all been substantially upgraded and the configuration software has had to have been re-written to accommodate the greater power and options.

My guess is that the MXL2 will be available significantly before the MXG, and I do have a few of the first units set aside for people that want them for winter builds. I believe that I will be able to get product from AiM in time to fulfill these, but Q1 2014 means all the way to 3/31/14!

Just one more thing about"buggy" releases. AiM got their asses bit BAD by premature releases of the GPS unit and the original SmartyCam. Failure rates were SO high, that it really hurt them five and six years ago.

Since then, they have gone cautious the OTHER way, where they announce it but test stuff into the ground until they know as much as they can to prevent a recurrence of experiences like that.

Let's just put it this way. Since the release of the EVO4, the Solo line and the SmartyCam HD, I have had TWO DOA's on 95-100 pieces sold (and one worked fine when I got it back from the customer, it's in my car!).

That is a fraction of my current Traqmate, Video VBOX and "Brand X" rate... I'm not worried.

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
The MXL2 and the MXG are based on the same guts along with the Evo5. All are expected to be released first quarter.

The major difference in the MXL2 and the MXG are that the MXG has 8 alarms, a full color display, and unlimited display pages. The plan I was told for the MXG is that the display programming will be much like a SmartyCam where you can drag and drop things where ever you want.
The price difference will be about $650 more for the MXG, but it is bigger and thicker, too.

Matt, what was that about "expected to be released first quarter?" Haven't we heard that before?
Old 12-18-2013, 04:32 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Peter. Glad to know when it comes the MXL2 will probably work. Do you expect that the data it records will be in the same format as the MXL and other current AiM products? It would be nice to be able to share data with other users of older AiM equipment.

I'll muddle along with my DL1 until we see the MXL2 installed a few times.

Quick Reply: Which Motec in 2004 cup?