Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy West to be supporting race to F1 Austin

So who is going?
Old 09-04-2012, 01:15 AM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Question is... who wants to spend $ for the privilege.

Last edited by mobonic; 09-04-2012 at 03:12 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:57 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Was going to, but no silver cars. I'm sure they will get a full field of 997 cups. Despite the additional cost would be a pretty amazing opportunity. I'm thinking once the event gets seasoned PDC will get bumped by higher end series following years, so this may be the one and only chance for mere mortals to run at an F1 event...
Old 09-04-2012, 02:56 PM
hairy_scotsman
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mobonic
N00b questions:

How much will it cost?
Is it expensive relative to other races?
Why does it cost so much/who sets the price of entry?
Old 09-04-2012, 03:36 PM
Derek@TRG
Former Vendor

We have our two full season entries going, possibly more. I am the team manager/crew chief for this program, so i get to go

I believe the entry is $10K, with a $1500 discount for competitors who ran the full season.

Yes, it is very expensive in relation to the other PDC entry fees, Not quite as bad in relation to ALMS, Rolex but still more. I dont remember exactly but i believe it in the reigon of the entry fee for the IMSA Cup Montreal event, which also got you two tickets to the F1 race last year.

It cost so much because its part of the F1 circus, you have to pay to play!!

Last edited by Derek@TRG; 09-05-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:42 PM
hairy_scotsman
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Derek@TRG
We have our two full season entries going, possibly more. I am the team manager/crew chief for this program, so i get to go

I believe the entry id $10K, with a $1500 discount for competitors who ran the full season.

Yes, it is very expensive in relation to the other PDC entry fees, Not quite as bad in relation to ALMS, Rolex but still more. I dont remember exactly but i believe it in the reigon of the entry fee for the IMSA Cup Montreal event, which also got you two tickets to the F1 race last year.

It cost so much because its part of the F1 circus, you have to pay to play!!
Is the price set by the sanctioning body or by the track...or is it a situation where the sanctioning body has to pay a fee set by the track and then they pass that cost on to the competitors? Is that what to earlier, edited $50K reference was about?

The reason I'm asking is because I get a lot of questions about support races for the USGP, and F1 doesn't do anything but F1. They don't set the support race schedule. They leave it to the track. Did you guys race at Indy during those F1 weekends? If so, was the price comparable to this?
Old 09-04-2012, 03:57 PM
sstreime
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mobonic
You got that right.

What an oppurtunity though. Unfortunately, not in the cards for me this year.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Derek@TRG
Former Vendor

I am no race promoter, but i am pretty sure that the sanctioning body has to pay for the track useage and in this case i am sure there is also a fee from F1 to secure the support race. Add up your cost and tack on XX% to cover it and pad the wallet a little and you have your entry fee.

When we were told about this being a possibility a few months ago we were told that F1 required PDC to have a minimum of 26 entries to secure the support race. Thats roughly 16 more than we have had at each race this year. 26 entries x 10K= $260k that actually doesnt sound like a whole lot to secure the spot, i would have thought it was more.

I would assume that F1 sets their schedule and any support series works around their needs.

We did do the IMSA cup support race at Indy, but i was just a mechanic at the time and had no concerns or thoughts about the price of admission.

Last edited by Derek@TRG; 09-05-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:56 PM
KMW
Rennlist Member

Somewhat related, here's a recent article on F1 entry fees:

"Formula 1's frontrunning teams could face a dramatic increase in entry fees for next year's championship if plans being considered by the FIA come off.

As part of the ongoing negotiations between the teams, Bernie Ecclestone and the FIA to frame a new Concorde Agreement for 2013, talks have edged towards agreeing potential income that the governing body would like to receive from F1 entrants and the sport's commercial rights holder.

No deal has yet been reached, but high level sources have revealed that one option being considered is for the FIA to seek a much greater share of its funding from the teams - which it can then use to invest in its running of the sport and other road safety initiatives.

AUTOSPORT has learned that one idea that has been suggested to the teams is for the entry fee to rise from its current cost of 309,000 Euro to a level that could see several teams pay multiple millions for their entries.

In a bid to centralise the cost of extra services that teams use, and currently pay extra beyond the entry fee to the FIA for (such as the Meteo France weather service), the governing body wants to have everything included in one fixed price.

Sources have revealed that the proposal that has been put forward to the teams is for the entry fee to rise to 500,000 Euro per outfit, plus 7,000 Euro per point scored in the championship.

This means that the more successful teams would contribute much more to the running of the sport and suffer a dramatic rise in costs.

Taking last year's constructors' championship standings, the entry fees in Euro under that new plan would be:

Red Bull (650 points) 5.050 million
McLaren (497 points) 3.979 million
Ferrari (375 points) 3.125 million
Mercedes (165 points) 1.655 million
Lotus (73 points) 1.011 million
Force India (69 points) 0.983 million
Sauber (44 points) 0.808 million
Toro Rosso (41 points) 0.787 million
Williams (5 points) 0.535 million
Caterham (0 points) 0.500 million
HRT (0 points) 0.500 million
Marussia (0 points) 0.500 million

Although no team principal would talk on the record about the matter, several suggested that they were keen to discuss the situation with the FIA, and enquire about why the fees were rising so much - and exactly what the extra money was being used for."
Old 09-04-2012, 09:00 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

id pay to play....
Old 09-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I was told that Bernie set the prices, and even then, that they looked long and hard at who got the "honor" to be a support race.

Looks like Porsche and Pirelli did a lot of lobbying for the GT3 Cup West.

Congrats to Greg Franz for being able to get his drivers in, that was quite a accomplishment.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:02 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by KMW

Although no team principal would talk on the record about the matter, several suggested that they were keen to discuss the situation with the FIA, and enquire about why the fees were rising so much - and exactly what the extra money was being used for."
Bernie should pay the teams to race in his F1 series, he makes millions in each race... unbelievable...
Old 09-04-2012, 10:16 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Derek@TRG

IIRC, Montreal was $10k.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:46 PM
Polesitter
Rennlist Member

10 grand is correct, but it should be full already. There were 24 registered last week. Unfortunately Bernie forced a 30 car limit.

I felt compelled to go for reasons I cannot explain.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:22 AM
Derek@TRG
Former Vendor

indeed, registration is full!!! I just checked the site. I cant wait for this, should be an amazing time!!

Quick Reply: Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy West to be supporting race to F1 Austin