Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

Brumos Special Edition Cup

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 09:31 AM
MrMan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know - 350k to get into that series does not seem bad to me. A Riley or Pratt and Miller platform would surely cost just as much or more?
Old 07-05-2012, 10:18 AM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMan
I don't know - 350k to get into that series does not seem bad to me. A Riley or Pratt and Miller platform would surely cost just as much or more?
The car is the cheapest part about racing in Rolex/ALMS and I'd imagine WC too.

-mike
Old 07-05-2012, 10:52 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Charles A. Toupin
James,

I just realized that this list applies for WC. I thought it was for GA. So basically, we're looking at a car worth at least 325K to run WC-GT? And the GA should be a bit cheaper, right?

And they sell those GTS mustangs for 80K... Then again, improvements have to be made I guess...

Is it me or racing a Porsche is more expensive than anything else?

c.
Thats why when James posts up his clients World Challenge cup cars for sale at some crazy cheap 190grand or so, it becomes a very attractive alternative.
porsche is one expensive little momma to race.

in my wc camaro, g/a conti camaro....a brand new race-prepped Tremec 6000 transmission, soup to nuts, replacement...the whole shibang...$3300.
A full engine rebuild is some 8k, everything.
the carbon doors on the camaro are a paultry $1100.00

sometimes porsche makes no sense to me, except when you realize they are in the business of making money and they have no shortage of players, including myself, who will tolerate it.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:18 AM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

Actually,

That list more applies to Grand Am as with WC you need to also upgrade the front splitter and bumper, install ABS and Launch Control with Line Lock as well as a few other suspension upgrades.....but you don't need the actual RSR gearbox, just the RSR gear upgrades in the stock gearbox.

Either way, both series require major modifications to make a Porsche competitive but the cost to run a WC Porsche is 1/3 the cost of running a GA Porsche, mainly because the WC races are sprints vs enduros and you put a lot less time on the car over a season of racing.

The Mustang is by far the best bang for the buck in WC racing right now......

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 07-05-2012, 01:33 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just imagine the cost to build to Volvo's for World Challenge...Makes buying and setting up a Cup look cheap!
Old 07-05-2012, 04:45 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

Good point Mike........
To run in WC, car costs are not cheap.....but the Porsche looks relatively cheap!
Volvo: over $750K
Caddy: who knows but in same ballpark as Volvo
GTR: Gotta be over $400K
Vette: Probably a bargain at $300K
Porsche: $300K - $350K
Audi R8 LMS: $350K (slightly used cars)
Old 07-05-2012, 08:28 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was fortunate enough to see the Volvo's at 3R in April of 2009. Don't get me wrong, Jim and the 3R guys were absolutely first class to deal with, but I wondered why they were spending so much to build the Volvo's when they had been so successful with Porsches.

In the end, the fans benefit from the diversity.
Attached Images   
Old 07-06-2012, 11:37 PM
kingleh
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by guardsredcab
I admit I don't know much about the current cup car offering, but the "special features" of this very limited edition don't seem all that special to me.
Do you know that they don't come with a 4.0!!? I would consider a 4.0 a special feature...

4.0 CupCar.. Sounds Pretty cool to me!!
Old 07-07-2012, 11:43 PM
SeriousB
Advanced

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
so they had 5 997 Cup cars left over before they switch to the 991?
Chas, didn't I tell you about this car during my last visit?

I knew about it a while ago and I was told that it's a special run that Brumos did.

They're still building 997 Cups as far as I know.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:49 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SeriousB
Chas, didn't I tell you about this car during my last visit?

I knew about it a while ago and I was told that it's a special run that Brumos did.

They're still building 997 Cups as far as I know.
I thought you were referring to the 5 road cars Brumos did.

btw mosey on over to the iracing thread and put in your $0.02 (or whatever that's worth in CDN)
Old 07-08-2012, 11:20 PM
ret9191
2nd Gear

Some facts about the new Brumos 4.0 Cup car. It can be raced in Porsche club as a GTC 5 car, Nasa or SCCA I think as a GT 2 still in SCCA, I know the older cup cars were GT-2 and competitive. If you really want to run in Grand Am like Brumos you will need to spend another $400,000 on the car. Yes the RSR gear box is $75,000 but the mods cost another $75,000 to get it into the car and then you need a spare RSR box at $75,000 so you can make gear changes and have time to install the box at the track. As a club racer/ collector car it will be a really nice car. the car wont need brake upgrades, it has **** pit adjustable sway bars front and rear, upgraded to 4.0 at PMNA and as far as the shocks they are not adjustable but Porsche found most of the pro teams did more to adjust them out of the operating range so them left them non adjustable. From what I have been told 2 of the cars are going into collections and 2 of them will be driven. If the car is done in time I will be driving mine at Mid Ohio August 18th and 19th.

Ron
Old 07-09-2012, 06:23 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nothing personal, aint no way that car is running in GTC5.
2010->2012 Cup as delivered by porsche for GT3 Challenge, or Supercup europe.

in PCA itsa GTA2 car. lots of great cars in that group, many of the GT3Challenge guys run GTA2 as they run on Yokohama GT3Challenge series tires rather than the PCA Michelin N1 spec tires.

but no way a 4liter, sway bar, modified car will classify in GTC5.

Originally Posted by ret9191
Some facts about the new Brumos 4.0 Cup car. It can be raced in Porsche club as a GTC 5 car, Nasa or SCCA I think as a GT 2 still in SCCA, I know the older cup cars were GT-2 and competitive. If you really want to run in Grand Am like Brumos you will need to spend another $400,000 on the car. Yes the RSR gear box is $75,000 but the mods cost another $75,000 to get it into the car and then you need a spare RSR box at $75,000 so you can make gear changes and have time to install the box at the track. As a club racer/ collector car it will be a really nice car. the car wont need brake upgrades, it has **** pit adjustable sway bars front and rear, upgraded to 4.0 at PMNA and as far as the shocks they are not adjustable but Porsche found most of the pro teams did more to adjust them out of the operating range so them left them non adjustable. From what I have been told 2 of the cars are going into collections and 2 of them will be driven. If the car is done in time I will be driving mine at Mid Ohio August 18th and 19th.

Ron
Old 07-09-2012, 08:58 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,853 Likes on 960 Posts

Look for a GT3 Cup 4.0S with 500hp in six months.....
Old 07-09-2012, 02:35 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Look for a GT3 Cup 4.0S with 500hp in six months.....
I hope to have one of those before then (my car with engine upgrade).

p.s. the Brumos car is not GTC5 nor SCCA GT2 legal.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

James-GMG

Actually,

That list more applies to Grand Am as with WC you need to also upgrade the front splitter and bumper, install ABS and Launch Control with Line Lock as well as a few other suspension upgrades.....but you don't need the actual RSR gearbox, just the RSR gear upgrades in the stock gearbox.

Either way, both series require major modifications to make a Porsche competitive but the cost to run a WC Porsche is 1/3 the cost of running a GA Porsche, mainly because the WC races are sprints vs enduros and you put a lot less time on the car over a season of racing.

The Mustang is by far the best bang for the buck in WC racing right now......
spg993tt

Thats why when James posts up his clients World Challenge cup cars for sale at some crazy cheap 190grand or so, it becomes a very attractive alternative.
porsche is one expensive little momma to race.

in my wc camaro, g/a conti camaro....a brand new race-prepped Tremec 6000 transmission, soup to nuts, replacement...the whole shibang...$3300.
A full engine rebuild is some 8k, everything.
the carbon doors on the camaro are a paultry $1100.00

sometimes porsche makes no sense to me, except when you realize they are in the business of making money and they have no shortage of players, including myself, who will tolerate it.

Sorry if I'm late to reply, I was racing at Mosport last weekend.

As much as I love racing a Porsche, that Mustang WC and maybe even Camaro WC seems much more affordable. The fun is in the competition, right? The car is a tool in that competition.

Well, that is food for thought.

Thanks for the valuable info.

Regards

Charles

Quick Reply: Brumos Special Edition Cup