Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

Brumos Special Edition Cup

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 02:34 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe it's me but I just don't follow the logic... Ok, yes, the Brumos Porsche Limited Edition doesn't fit many places but what about a stock spec Cup vs. some of these other "souped up street cars." The thing about the Cup is that none of these other cars you're discussing will ever have the decades of engineering and development behind them as a RACE car that the Porsche does. Yes, you can buy one cheaper and yes brake pads, rotors, etc are cheaper but for the amount of real setup work you have to do on one of these other cars to get it competitive, you're delusional if you think it's not going to approach the cost of a Cup. Also, think about re-sale value/market. What do you think the resale value is on a 3 year old Mustang and how many people are actually looking?
Old 09-08-2012, 02:13 AM
MrMan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am very new to this but as a cup car owner I am sometimes vulnerable to the fantasy that I could pay less for components and assemble a car that is just as good in many ways, but not pay the Porsche cult tax.

For example a Callaway Corvette from Europe. I am not sure what they cost new, but maybe I could find one for $175K. Then on an ongoing basis I am maintaining whatever OEM brakes and shocks etc, and rebuilding (forgive me for not knowing) a Tremec or Hollinger or Xtrac gearbox - with no rebuild cult that says I can only have ONE person in the whole country work on it.

Additionally, I am willing to bet that if the LS3 or LS7 or whatever the number of the engine dies, I can get a new Corvette engine for less than a new cup car engine. And by "less" I don't just mean $$...it is a thing that many many people on the East Coast can do for me, I do not need to find a magic person who can bless my car.

I have not actually done this - the advice of very wise friends lead me to see that the Porsche factory race cars have many many things going for them. But there are times when the grass looks slightly greener.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:42 AM
jfl91
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by James-GMG
No problem.......but here is the basic list of upgrades you will need to be competitive in WC:
1) The Big One!!! RSR Gearbox upgrade!! $75K
2) Brembo Brakes from RSR $15K
3) 3-4 way race shocks $10K-$15K
4) Larger 3 piece BBS wheels and 4 sets of them too: $15K - $20K
5) Cockpit adjustable sway bars $5k
6) Widened Rear quarter panel modification $5k - $10K
7) GA headers and muffler system $14K
8) Lightweight body parts to get down to weight $5K - $10K
9) Lightweight flywheel and upgraded carbon clutch $5k - $7K

Scary, its more than $100K......
Closer to 200k with labour!

But those cars are close to the RSR.