Notices
Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

Gotta start somewhere,... (newbie seeking advice)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 05:42 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
But the root answer to your question is that a sequential is generally a variant of the good old dog box.
That's very interesting, thanks. Listening to the FF cars on video it is hard to imagine shifts happening any faster so I've wondered what the big deal is with a sequential box.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:51 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

The sequential removes a certain element of human error. One can never cross gates and make a 5 to 2 downshift that blows your motor at 12,000rpms.

Also, while the sequential is only milliseconds faster to shift than a normal dogbox, it is milliseconds faster. Run that out to 12 hours or 24 hours of racing and we're talking about 1000s of shifts accounting for multiple seconds at the end of a race.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:45 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks Matt, that is exactly what I wanted to know... and a whole lot more.

By "being gentle", I meant being easy on the equipment. I agree, it's all about being purposeful and on the ball.

My car has LWFW and all the other goodies, and one of the hardest things for me to do is to drive smoothly at legal speeds in town, especially with a passenger. Just so hard to rev-match and all that stuff, when you're just "in the middle" somewhere.

Now, I'm going to go and read up on dog boxes

Quick Reply: Gotta start somewhere,... (newbie seeking advice)