Notices

PCA 2012 Proposed Rules Changes in GTC

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 02:48 PM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

yes, would be good to know if I will be running in exhibition class this season with all the Michelins I bought last year..........
Old 12-27-2011, 04:12 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't see how there could be a spec tire. Nothing to worry about. I may be using some REALLY UNIQUE tires this year.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:36 PM
Dan Jacobs
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

As stated by Mike forum posts do nothing- Emails to the appropriate folks do

It seems to me that the spec tire thing is an answer to a question that no one was asking

Does anyone know for sure that the 6 cup heads are still available?
Old 12-27-2011, 09:17 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure I'm not the only one that got a letter from Bryan Henderson today. Sounds like we are getting a spec tire to me:

"Additionally there will be a spec tire designated for our already spec Cup Car classes in GTC-3, GTC-4 and GTC-5."
Old 12-27-2011, 09:50 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Spec tire is simply a way for the club to make a buck. Regulating tire costs in a class where the cars are $80-200k used is uhm... ya...

ps: michelins rule. :P

-mike
Old 12-27-2011, 10:49 PM
TwentySix
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From page 4 of CR newsletter...

We have several spec classes within PCA Club Racing that almost all use a spec tire. The one notable exception is our 996 and 997 Cup Cars. After using a spec tire from Michelin at Rennsport Reunion IV with good success and after receiving very few comments from the racers concerning the proposed change, we decided to go forward with changing GTC3, GTC4 and GTC5 from “tires are free” to a spec tire for 2012. Currently, the classes are spec classes in all regards other than tires although it appears that about ninety percent of our racers use the same brand of tire. It does not make sense that we would not be on equal tires if we work so hard to make the cars equal in all other respects. As a racer I understand that we also need to have value for the racers in whatever tire we select. We have sent out inquires to several tire manufacturers that ask them to specify what tire they will supply and at what cost to the racers should we choose them as the spec tire. We will also be looking at sponsorship opportunities for PCA Club Racing. We will review those proposals with an eye toward the value to the racers balancing performance, longevity and cost.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:19 AM
Permafrost
Advanced

Seems to me we also got a communication indicating that a decision will be made in time for racers to plan for the PCA race at Sebring in Feb. That would imply we'll hear a decision pretty soon.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:31 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Spec tires is not needed, everyone knows that Michelins are fastest but not much faster, and more expensive than the competition. Hoosiers, Pirellis, Yokohamas, and Dunlops are all good enough to win races and excellent choices sometime (Michelin unavailability or relationships with other tire dealers/distributors/companies).

Unless PCA gets us a great deal on the tires, this rule is not in anybody's best interest (except the chosen manufacturer).

Like Dan said, it's an answer to a question that no one was asking.

And I am emailing the club my opinion.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:08 PM
tedean
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
Unless PCA gets us a great deal on the tires, this rule is not in anybody's best interest (except the chosen manufacturer).
My assumptions:
1. PCA wants to even the playing field.
2. By picking one manufacturer, we all can save money on each set we buy.

I regards to #1, I am not sure picking one manufacturer evens the playing field. While having a new set of tires is heaven, a better driver on 4 heat cycles will still be the fastest. It seems driving a Cup well overcomes tires for a lot of guys.

The newsletter stated Michelin provides 90+% of the tires for Cup drivers. If Michelin sells 90+%, why would they give much of a discount?
Old 12-28-2011, 02:22 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I doubt there will be any discounts-- there are none in IMSA or Pirelli Cup. You pay retail tire prices.

It's simply a way for the club to get money. There's nothing wrong with that, but doing it under the guise of 'cost savings for the competitors' is an insult to our intelligence.

I don't see how it evens the playing field any more than being able to run whatever tire you want or happen to have available. If you're in the mid/back of the pack because you don't want to buy new Michelins every weekend, I hate to break it to you.. but now you're going to have even less of a chance to compete with the guys at the front who will be on the same tire as you (and most likely a fresh set while you're trying to save $100 by running tires from the last race).

For the record, I'm not against spec tires, I just don't like the bull**** excuses for doing it.

-mike
Old 12-28-2011, 02:23 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

It may be that Yokohoma or another manufacturer specified for another series would give PCA and us a break on tire prices sufficient to justify changing setups. It could also be useful for occaisional racers to have the benefit of the experience of those in another series. It's a good theory, but I am sceptical whether it will be beneficial in reality. I'd hate to see any tire specified unless there is a substantial price discount.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:33 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Looks like it's a rule, hope they got good prices for the club.

Last edited by analogmike; 12-28-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:56 PM
dwe8922
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't like having a "spec" tire. Seems like it would stifle whatever competition we have between Manufacturers. The freshest tire is fastest, so those who can wil still run multiple sets a weekend, still will. At least with Michelins, I seem to get a lot more time out of them, costing me less. It would suck for me to have to run something else in the name of "value to racers." Hopefully, I will be pleasantly surprised, but I would prefer to have my freedom to choose, as has always been the rule regarding tires in C3.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:00 PM
MariusRacer
Instructor

I think PCA should look closer at the displacement of the cars. There are tons of 997.1 cups with 3.8l engines running.
I think a spec tire sounds good as long as the price is ok. Suspension should remain stock
Old 01-04-2012, 09:06 PM
ponzzzz
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Any word on which brand is gonna be spec?

Wanted to order a couple sets of stickers before Sebring creeps up closer and closer.

Quick Reply: PCA 2012 Proposed Rules Changes in GTC