Old 09-08-2011, 01:27 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Techno
Welcome to the Cup cars universe !

No need to update the ECU.
I looked at the sequential stick today. Looks like it will be an easy DIY to make an auto blipper. Where is my spare chop sticks lol

Do you have a picture of the auto blipper? I can't find it any where on the web. Like to see what $1K buys in the Cup land
Old 09-08-2011, 03:25 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Look at the Manthey, it's a lot easier to copy. Cheaper too and may work better.

But actually $1000 or whatever it costs will be paid back in the extra hours you get out of your tranny so it's a free upgrade, a no brainer.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:36 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by analogmike
Look at the Manthey, it's a lot easier to copy. Cheaper too and may work better.

But actually $1000 or whatever it costs will be paid back in the extra hours you get out of your tranny so it's a free upgrade, a no brainer.
Agree 100%. i actually spent some time the last 3 days talking with the head of a pretty good Cup car squad, as well as one of the engineers from PMNA. I was finding that when shifting, it felt like i was getting too much throttle. we looked at data and eventually the answer was pretty straight forward. I was using the autoblipper as well as normal heel/toe blips. so if i were heel toe blipping, and the cable throttle had tension, then when id hit the lever, it would add more throttle and perhaps a bit late in the cycle. caused some surging. etc

thats one of the values of the mathey blipper, that you can hit it with your foot and doesnt necessary ADD to whatever blip throttle you've injected into the process, but it ensures you added atleast the right amount.

on the other hand, i had a manthey blipper. i just didnt like it. didnt like the setup. and on a few occasions it would stick and prevent the throttle from returning back to 'zero' state. so i wasnt a great fan of that design.

i kind of like the PMNA blipper design. its a small cam under the throttle lever, when you push forawrd, it elevates this cam rollers which adds tension to the throttle cable which rolls above it.

going a step further, in talking to the PMNA engineer, he said the vast majority of blown up transmissions are all from downshifts almost NONE from upshifts. and that the transmissions they see which come from cars utilizing autoblippers are so much cleaner and require so much less repair. their data was showing that as a longer sprint continues, shifting errors increase, maybe a misshift, or missing a blip.

So, i did a test session and had to mentally focus on NOT manually blipping, and that took about 5laps to dial in, but once i did so, it was really cool. just spike the brakes, trail off, no variance in pressure due to a blip, less drama, just brake brake brake, step on clutch and lever forward on sync,a nd you're golden. obviously the autoblipper AND manual blip were causing me some issues, but now going with just the blipper seems to really be efficient.

someone made a post about the challenge and lure of manual blipping. agreed. i kind of dig the 997 cups from that perspective, lots of thigns you have to master. from a pure performance perspective, the racing world is going to whatever system is most efficient and protects the equipment the most. Paddle shifting and auto blipping is going to be in teh gt3R Cups this year. and my guess is that in 2013 when they release the new variant of the 997 Cup to the US, we'll see a bunch of that stuff.

part of me likes the idea of being the masters of the puppet strings in a brake zone. the other simply seeks the fastest setup possible.

just my two cents.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:31 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought Steve's old blipper, and while it's not perfect, it does help. I have the manual, with pictures, if you'd like a copy. Just send me a PM.

I was talking to a will-remain-unnamed-Porsche-technician recently and he seemed to think the Manthey unit was superior to the PMNA unit.

I'll save my penny's for a paddle shift system, I guess...
Old 09-08-2011, 06:02 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by spg993tt
on the other hand, i had a manthey blipper. i just didnt like it. didnt like the setup. and on a few occasions it would stick and prevent the throttle from returning back to 'zero' state. so i wasnt a great fan of that design.

So, i did a test session and had to mentally focus on NOT manually blipping, and that took about 5laps to dial in, but once i did so, it was really cool. just spike the brakes, trail off, no variance in pressure due to a blip, less drama, just brake brake brake, step on clutch and lever forward on sync,a nd you're golden. obviously the autoblipper AND manual blip were causing me some issues, but now going with just the blipper seems to really be efficient.
Completely agree with you. I don't manual blip at all anymore and it works well.

Also, I know 1 driver who ended in the wall full throttle this summer and we suspect that was caused by the Manthey design. Can't be sure, but it did happen in few instances that it was stuck before this incident and he could then push the clutch before a bad outcome.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:08 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by fleadh
That's a video of me (left) and JvO (right) in my car (no auto-blipper), we're both shifting as described in #1-- clutch release on each gear downshifted. I just installed a dual chasecam setup in the car with 1 camera pointed at the pedals, I can post a video after I test the car on Sep 1st if it'll help.

-mike
Here's a lap from this afternoon at Infineon. Trying to figure out why the audio isn't working.... new setup == /sigh.

h

edit: Replaced video with 1 of my 2 hot laps this morning at Infineon (left early after some vintage cars coated the T11 to T4 in oil). Can hear the engine a little bit better in this one.... The Chasecam setup is making me angry.. wish I didn't wait 4 months to install it.

-mike

Last edited by fleadh; 09-09-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:37 AM
INFMS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the manthey blipper when installed & serviced correctly never gives any problems what so ever....after all the most successful Porsche race team uses them on all their cars except GT3R (fly by wire throttle body, electronic blip). the issue with the PMNA blipper is, is that the throttle cable inner is snaked around 2 pulleys and the cable tends to slide across the pulleys causing it to wear and get jammed. also debris gets caught up in the cable because it is exposed...Brumos removed theirs because of this!
Old 09-09-2011, 10:12 AM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by INFMS
the manthey blipper when installed & serviced correctly never gives any problems what so ever....after all the most successful Porsche race team uses them on all their cars except GT3R (fly by wire throttle body, electronic blip). the issue with the PMNA blipper is, is that the throttle cable inner is snaked around 2 pulleys and the cable tends to slide across the pulleys causing it to wear and get jammed. also debris gets caught up in the cable because it is exposed...Brumos removed theirs because of this!
I thought that the GT3R couldn't be raced in any North American series.

Third post after a 2 days history on Rennlist... sounds suspicious to me. Your post may be legitimate knowledge sharing, but could you disclose if you have any direct or indirect relationship with any shop, vendor, distributor of the Manthey design ? INFMS = "infamous Manthey seller" ?
Old 09-09-2011, 10:16 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by fleadh
Here's a lap from this afternoon at Infineon. Trying to figure out why the audio isn't working.... new setup == /sigh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVl95OF515A

-mike
dude, zero disrespect intended, but thats a while right foot blip you got going on there . maybe the first time ive seen that. ive seen guys rolltheir foot, or throw their heel out or step across with their toes angled LEFT>

thats the firs ttime ive seen someone step on the pedal in the middle of their foot and then blip with the toes. looks interesting to say the least.

u feel like sharing any info on how/where you learned that technique, why you like or dont like it, and maybe any advantages.?
just curious. great driving
Old 09-09-2011, 01:25 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Third post after a 2 days history on Rennlist... sounds suspicious to me. Your post may be legitimate knowledge sharing, but could you disclose if you have any direct or indirect relationship with any shop, vendor, distributor of the Manthey design ? INFMS = "infamous Manthey seller" ?
Way to welcome the new guy...
Old 09-09-2011, 01:46 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GTgears
Way to welcome the new guy...
Didn't mean to be disrespectful. But with no avatar picture, no signature, no location, no background on what basis these affirmations are made (from experience, friends, magazines ?), it just looks weird to me. I hope I am wrong... again

BTW, what tells you that INFMS is a guy ?
Old 09-09-2011, 02:02 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Didn't mean to be disrespectful. But with no avatar picture, no signature, no location, no background on what basis these affirmations are made (from experience, friends, magazines ?), it just looks weird to me. I hope I am wrong... again

BTW, what tells you that INFMS is a guy ?
A simple "So you've got the Manthey version on your car? How long have you had it? Do you have service intervals before and after installation that will help give us an idea of how much it extends gearbox life?" sort of line of questioning would start a conversation without making someone feel alienated. It wasn't that long ago that both you and I were the "new" guys around here with no posts.

Sorry to take this off topic. Some days I just hate how caustic and rude the internet is. I'll step out now since I've got nothing productive to add to the conversation.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:55 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

dude, zero disrespect intended, but thats a while right foot blip you got going on there . maybe the first time ive seen that. ive seen guys rolltheir foot, or throw their heel out or step across with their toes angled LEFT>

thats the firs ttime ive seen someone step on the pedal in the middle of their foot and then blip with the toes. looks interesting to say the least.

u feel like sharing any info on how/where you learned that technique, why you like or dont like it, and maybe any advantages.?
LOL, i saw that last night. but i thought i was just tired with blurry eyes!!!

but i tell you that mike is pretty fast as i have driven with him several times and he's had no rear engine experience until cup car.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:46 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

No worries! I know it's a little abnormal, but it works for me. I think it was in my first Skip Barber or Russell driving schools where one of the instructors showed us 2 ways of doing it in the Formula cars, I tried both and this way was more consistent for me so I stuck with it.

I don't think there's really any advantage or disadvantage to doing it my way.. it might take a tiny amount more time to get my foot back on the accelerator compared to the conventional way, but looking at the data versus a pro it's not noticeable. When he looked at the video for the first time yesterday he said 'hmm.. that's interesting' but to keep doing it since it was working.

His best lap in my own car was 1.4 seconds faster than mine over the last 2 days at Infineon. But, our braking zones and mid corners were nearly identical... he was just consistently on the gas earlier. :/

-mike
Old 09-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My gearbox builder opened a 997 Cup gearbox that ran with the Manthey shifter complete Dubai 24H two-three years ago. While it had its normal tear and wear. There were no signs of damage due to poor downshifting. Pretty impressive.

Quick Reply: How do you down shift in a sequential?