Notices

996/GT3 race car build

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 01:54 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My assumption being that if A CAR is fast now, a reclassing may make it not so by the next year.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:59 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,703 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by Darren
My assumption being that if A CAR is fast now, a reclassing may make it not so by the next year.
==> correct, even the pro series do that.and unless you get new car every year, it's like chasing your own tail.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:02 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Ok so why not use HP/Weight as THE rule? We're not pros racing NASA/PCA/whatever, we're guys having fun with our money and our egos. At the end lets go have a steak dinner and make a great time of it.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:06 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Pick a class first with PCA, in what I've seen, is stupid. There is always A CAR that dominates in every class. This is why I don't race PCA but it's also what I want to see change so that I can.

What is more simple that NASA GTS hp/weight ratios?
racing is no different than politics. and i hate politics.

yes, there's always a dominating car. and what if you dont like the dominating car's look, sound, blah blah....
Old 04-28-2010, 02:09 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Ok so why not use HP/Weight as THE rule? We're not pros racing NASA/PCA/whatever, we're guys having fun with our money and our egos. At the end lets go have a steak dinner and make a great time of it.
dude, you are like me.
but i am too lazy to chat with pca.
if you beat them into submission, i be very happy.
i think dell gave up already ;-)
Old 04-28-2010, 08:25 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I did give up on PCA. I didn't race the GT3 b/c they wouldn't class it in GTB which is where I thought it should as does several others and I was NOT racing it in GTA. The problem is they want overwhelming support which isn't going to happen since there are not that many GT3's running.

Biggest regret I ever had was sell the GT3 to follow the "pick a class first, then get the car" theory. I did pick a class and then found the car only to learn that even in "stock" class there is some serious rule breaking there and I wasn't going to do it.

Hence, the reason I built the spec boxster. About as close as you can get to a true drivers class. Not much variance at all in hp/tq and it comes down to driver talent and setup. The way it should be.

If GT3 was allowed into GTB, and the classes were large (which they are pathetic anyway) then I'd pick a GT3 over any other car in GTB.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:21 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Yeah, if you want to race PCA and you don't want to deal with this rules bull****, then Spec Boxster makes total sense.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:47 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Just picking this thread up....

1) For all the "let's do it all weight to hp" guys - Take two identical cars and put bigger tires on one...are they the same? Take two identical cars and take 200lbs out of one but add 30hp to another...are they the same? Take two identical weight to hp cars and give one a sequential box....are they the same? Take two identical cars and give each of them different gearing and brakes....are they the same?

The answer to all of these is of course not. That's the problem with weight to hp....and I generally like weight to hp classes. However, don't kid yourself that it's the fairest way to class cars.

2) To the original poster who is converting his GT3 to a race car. As I see it, you could have taken half your cost of the conversion and had a racing budget for a few races. That said, I understand your desire to do it and have what you want. I did it myself which is why I now counsel anyone who is thinking about this to NEVER do it. In the end, I had a GT4 car and, on an hourly basis, it wasn't tremendously cheaper than my 996 Cup. The main problem with building cars is that you are piecing things together that don't have the engineering behind them saying they will work together so you end up constantly chasing the weak link. It's frustrating and costly.... You see the results of this on any given racing weekend with all sorts of mechanical issues in the classes that tend to have these cars. Outside of my own driver error, my Cup has never EVER failed me mechanically.

3) I've been racing for 4 years and have raced with NASA, SCCA, PBOC, Grand-AM, FARA and PCA. They all have their strong and weak points, however, I think this statement is true: IF YOU RACE A PORSCHE, PCA is the best racing venue for you. It generally has the most robust fields and the classes keep things competitive. Is anything perfect...NO. We're not talking about perfect, we're talking about racing. Again, IF YOU RACE A PORSCHE, PCA is the best...IMO.

4) The whole reason I bought my 996 Cup was because it's a spec class. GENERALLY, you don't have to worry about being out-motored, out-suspensioned, etc. The racing fields are deep (26 996 Cups at Sebring, 23 996 Cups at the Glen) and the top 5-6 guys are pretty quick. I know Cups are expensive (although getting cheaper every day...) but the original poster, by the time he's done, won't have any less money into his car than I do mine and mine will hold more re-sale value (I hope).
Old 05-31-2010, 11:45 PM
fapena
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nicely said Peter. Agree 100%.

FAP
Old 06-05-2010, 01:41 AM
gomez1
Racer

oh hey nice cage! I'm getting the same people to build mine. Oh and it's good to see your going to be safe having FUN. Enjoy it in good health!
Old 06-05-2010, 03:33 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

just curious...... but where would my 997RS with full cage class in PCA?
Old 06-05-2010, 03:52 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Another route would have been to find a 996 CUP tub or roller and take a street GT3 wreck or donor to complete the CUP build.

To take a street 996 GT3 and install cage other than bolt-in examples such as Clubsport, Custom cages or Autopower can be expensive and time consuming.

I have seen quite a few of GT3 Street cars get full cage and cup treatments only to hit used market with poor resales.

I have much respect to those who do it however because it is totally custom, costly and passionate.

I decided to avoid this route and stick with either bolt in cage (which i did) or CUP tub/roller project.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:57 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

Guys,

Please remember, GT3 Speed is building this car to mainly run in POC and World Challenge GTS! It's not all about PCA. POC has some great racing and now they have the power to weight spec classification and this car will fit nicely in GT3, where it won't have to run against factory Cup cars. PCA is missing the boat not classifying the 996 GT3 street car in GTB 1/2 as there are many of these cars out there being built for wheel to wheel competition.
For WC GTS, this car will be a strong player in that class as the factory 996 Cup car would have to compete in GT and that car would NOT be competitive.

This cage is built to factory Cup car specs but with the added benefit of Nascar door bars, which frankly, I wish came in the factory Cup cars. And if you are going wheel to wheel racing and you are running with a bolt-in cage, I question the logic in that decision....

Lastly, I will make this point again.........not everyone can write a check for $75K - $200K for a Cup car as you can't finance them like a street car. Converting a street car makes a lot of sense for most of the people out there.

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 06-06-2010, 09:17 PM
SpeedGT3
Racer

Originally Posted by PedroNole
Just picking this thread up....

2) To the original poster who is converting his GT3 to a race car. As I see it, you could have taken half your cost of the conversion and had a racing budget for a few races. That said, I understand your desire to do it and have what you want. I did it myself which is why I now counsel anyone who is thinking about this to NEVER do it.
Taken 50% of my costs and had a racing budget? Not sure what this means?

In the end, I had a GT4 car and, on an hourly basis, it wasn't tremendously cheaper than my 996 Cup. The main problem with building cars is that you are piecing things together that don't have the engineering behind them saying they will work together so you end up constantly chasing the weak link. It's frustrating and costly.... You see the results of this on any given racing weekend with all sorts of mechanical issues in the classes that tend to have these cars. Outside of my own driver error, my Cup has never EVER failed me mechanically.
I have top notch engineers, fabricators, and the best PORSCHE tuning shop putting this car together. All the suspension pieces are either PORSCHE Factory Parts, or proven race parts designed and tested by GMG, so what do you mean "no engineering" behind them? Do you think the Porsche World Challenge Cars, or Grand Am cars are raced "as delivered" from the Porsche Factory? I can tell you first hand they are not even close. From suspension modifications, to launch control, to ABS to brake calipers...etc.

3) I've been racing for 4 years and have raced with NASA, SCCA, PBOC, Grand-AM, FARA and PCA.
Not a lot of experience to "counsel" potential car builders.

I know Cups are expensive (although getting cheaper every day...) but the original poster, by the time he's done, won't have any less money into his car than I do mine and mine will hold more re-sale value (I hope).
[/quote]

If my car is 1 to 1.5 seconds a lap faster than your car, with the same driver, which car has more value?
Old 06-07-2010, 01:51 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedGT3
Do you think the Porsche World Challenge Cars, or Grand Am cars are raced "as delivered" from the Porsche Factory? I can tell you first hand they are not even close. From suspension modifications, to launch control, to ABS to brake calipers...etc.
Agreed. And they have a LOT more budget than 90% of us on here to make sure all of it works together.

Not a lot of experience to "counsel" potential car builders.
How much is a "lot?" I've built a car from scratch and purchased 2 others and spent the last few years and a lot of money/time racing them. Let me know what the experience threshold is (5 years, 10 years, etc) and I'll keep that in mind when I post in the future.

If my car is 1 to 1.5 seconds a lap faster than your car, with the same driver, which car has more value?
Absolutely nothing to do with what my response was about. There are a lot of cars faster than my 996 Cup out there. Does that make them all more valuable?

Don't get me wrong, I've done the same thing you're doing. I hope it works out really well. I would never wish anyone anything other than the best with their project. However, having done what you're doing, I'd never do it again...

Quick Reply: 996/GT3 race car build