Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

2010 Cup Approved

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 12:29 PM
Apex GT
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

James, so what are the changes from the anouncement at the PRI show?
Old 12-17-2009, 12:27 AM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

Apex GT,

World Challenge will now have 3 classes, the current GT, GTS (Koni spec 996/997 Porsches, M3's, Camaro-Mustang and T1 cars from SCCA Nationals and Touring (but not as modified as years past).

The new TV package will be from Versus..........90 minute shows on Saturday afternoon.

We have 1-2 new 2010 Cup cars running in WC GT and I will most likely continue to run my 2008 WC Cup car (from 2009).

James F. Sofronas
President
Global Motorsports Group
www.gmgracing.com
james@gmgracing.com
Old 12-17-2009, 11:14 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey James,

I searched SCCA and W-DC websites for an hour and could not find the W-C specs for the GT3 cup. But from the general rules it looks like a Rolex GT spec car could run, but maybe not as fast as a full W-C car. Is the grand-am wing the same? Anything i would have to change on the car to be legal?
Old 12-17-2009, 12:43 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Mike,

Attached is the VTS Sheet where you will find the specs for the WC cars: http://www.world-challenge.com/competitors/vts.php.

You can certainly run a Rolex GT Porsche in WC and will actually run a configuration that allows for less weight since the motor in the Rolex car is a 3.6 and less powerful than the WC 3.8. You can run your Crawford wing as well but if you plan to run the entire season, then I would recommend going with the WC spec wing.
The Rolex Porsche and the WC Porsche are very similar except we are allowed to run 4 way shocks and a more aggressive wing and splitter setup but your car would fit right in!

James F. Sofronas
President
Global Motorsports Group
www.gmgracing.com
Old 12-17-2009, 01:44 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Too bad DirectTV dropped versus this year, something about Comcast raising the rates too much. I have sent them a couple of emails and hope other race fans do the same.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:56 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

That certainly is a bummer that Direct TV doesn't include Versus but the Speed wasn't that kind to non-Nascar programming so something had to change and WC was courted heavily by Versus and now we have a 90 minute show on Saturday afternoons, right after Indy Car qualifying.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:37 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by James-GMG
Mike,

Attached is the VTS Sheet where you will find the specs for the WC cars: http://www.world-challenge.com/competitors/vts.php.

You can certainly run a Rolex GT Porsche in WC and will actually run a configuration that allows for less weight since the motor in the Rolex car is a 3.6 and less powerful than the WC 3.8. You can run your Crawford wing as well but if you plan to run the entire season, then I would recommend going with the WC spec wing.
The Rolex Porsche and the WC Porsche are very similar except we are allowed to run 4 way shocks and a more aggressive wing and splitter setup but your car would fit right in!
Thanks for the info and link. My bodywork looks the same as yours, if I could run 100 lbs less with the 3.6 that would be good, with the wider Grand-am size wheels and tires.
The rules are hard to find, the normal book points to appendix A then Appendix A says to see the normal rulebook. I can't find the GT3 specs except for the link you provided (weights, tire sizes, etc)
Old 12-18-2009, 01:01 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by James-GMG
That certainly is a bummer that Direct TV doesn't include Versus but the Speed wasn't that kind to non-Nascar programming so something had to change and WC was courted heavily by Versus and now we have a 90 minute show on Saturday afternoons, right after Indy Car qualifying.

Sounds like a good move for WC. Being slotted next to IRL should help introduce some new race fans to WC. I'm hoping DirectTV and Comcast figure something out, in addition to WC now I'm missing IRL and Tour de France coverage, maybe it's time to change...
Old 12-18-2009, 07:19 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Mike,

Try this for starters: http://www.world-challenge.com/competitors/index.php as well as this specific link: http://www.world-challenge.com/files...x_A_Ver_12.pdf

We run 265/305 tires on 10.5/12" wheels so it should work with your GA GT Porsche. Running less weight and/or restrictor could work for your car but SCCA would have to work with you on that.

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com

Quick Reply: 2010 Cup Approved