Sponsored by:

997 cup transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 05:40 PM
BMCGEE
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 997 cup transmission

to whom it may concern ,we need to talk about cup sequential trans. issues.
I would ask for questions on current problems ,bent main shaft, broken claw hubs bent 3-4 forks ect. .Generaly there are reasons for these problems and I think there is a lot of miss -information flying around these forums.
I would welcome any questions or opinions at my e-mail .
copans@wildblue.net home of BMC&C
Old 06-11-2009, 10:50 PM
Red9
Racer

Originally Posted by bmc&g
I would ask for questions on current problems ,bent main shaft, broken claw hubs bent 3-4 forks ect. .Generaly there are reasons for these problems and I think there is a lot of miss -information flying around these forums.
Can you elborate a little(a lot)?
Old 06-12-2009, 12:06 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Hello Brian,

You should have my trans there now. You rebuilt it over the winter and said it was in great shape. After three races this year it had some metal in the fluid so Spencer talked to you and we sent it back.

Any info you can give us to help keep these things running, and recommended upgrades, would be appreciated!
Old 06-12-2009, 03:04 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by analogmike
Hello Brian,

You should have my trans there now. You rebuilt it over the winter and said it was in great shape. After three races this year it had some metal in the fluid so Spencer talked to you and we sent it back.

Any info you can give us to help keep these things running, and recommended upgrades, would be appreciated!
No VIR for you then?
Old 06-13-2009, 01:05 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Brian is fast, my car should be back together again within a week (I hope!!).

He emailed me, said the problem was on the high gears, I have problems getting into 6th sometimes. I often shift too slowly, it's tough to unlearn 25 years of 915 gearbox shifting technique.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:57 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Brian is fast.....
like i said early, copan is porsche gear box god.

He emailed me, said the problem was on the high gears, I have problems getting into 6th sometimes. I often shift too slowly, it's tough to unlearn 25 years of 915 gearbox shifting technique.
my tech tells me i shift too fast (not cup car) that's why i kill my box. wish i can slow down.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:25 AM
Red9
Racer

Originally Posted by bmc&g
How about some correct information.?
Old 07-21-2009, 09:25 AM
jmreiser
Instructor

Brian Copans is not going to spend a lot of time expounding on the internet, nor will most of the top techs in the business. What they've learned came at great personal cost, and it is what they use to make their living. Giving it away for free is not fair to ask of them. Besides what he knows would take years to review. He was just at the ALMS race in Lime Rock (building the winning transmission in the GT2 class, yet again) and I'm sure is super-busy back at the shop.

Instead, take him at his word. He said to ask specific questions about current problems by email. I'd start there.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:11 PM
PatK-Mpls
Instructor

Brian-

I understand the bent main shaft issue has been addressed - yes? Are you fixing it such that it will not recur when you are rebuilding boxes?

What was causing it?
Old 07-22-2009, 08:53 PM
Red9
Racer

Originally Posted by jmreiser
Brian Copans is not going to spend a lot of time expounding on the internet, nor will most of the top techs in the business. What they've learned came at great personal cost, and it is what they use to make their living. Giving it away for free is not fair to ask of them. Besides what he knows would take years to review. He was just at the ALMS race in Lime Rock (building the winning transmission in the GT2 class, yet again) and I'm sure is super-busy back at the shop.

Instead, take him at his word. He said to ask specific questions about current problems by email. I'd start there.
Joel- with all due respect-- he posted a thread on a forum stating that there was a lot of "misinformation" floating about .
If he was not prepared to let us in on that "misinformation" why post it?
There are many that offer advice that has cost them money to acquire the knowledge and freely give advice on these forums- so posting a teaser comment and then offering nothing is disrespecting the forum in general.
Happy to reap the rewards of having your name out there and being a receiver but not a giver.Or at least not in this instance.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:45 AM
jmreiser
Instructor

His post was not a teaser. He did not offer nothing. Re-read what he said. That is a generous offer from someone that has worked countless 15-hours days and lived out of motels and a pickup truck, crossing the US a hundred times over, so that others can race Porsche cars, and even more can enjoy all that on TV.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:49 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jmreiser
His post was not a teaser. He did not offer nothing. Re-read what he said. That is a generous offer from someone that has worked countless 15-hours days and lived out of motels and a pickup truck, crossing the US a hundred times over, so that others can race Porsche cars, and even more can enjoy all that on TV.
Lets not forget how the Cat community has benefitted either....
Old 07-23-2009, 03:50 PM
jmreiser
Instructor

Good call! Thanks Glen, good to hear from you.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:00 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

With respect to sequential gbx's and bent shafts, forks etc., many times its a result of dog lock from either worn barrel tracks, worn fork pins or knarly curb hopping. Also getting momentary events of 'two gears at once' will do a lot of damage.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:28 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Also getting momentary events of 'two gears at once' will do a lot of damage.
Yep, never a good thing....

Quick Reply: 997 cup transmission