997 Cup - First Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 06:55 AM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 Cup - First Impressions

Wow!

So, I finally got out on the track yesterday in the Cup. As mentioned here previously, we had most of the major components rebuilt or replaced, so it's almost a new car.

Setup was -4 camber front and back and I'll check what we had on toe, but I think it was factory spec. JRZ 3-way adjustables. First session we ran heavily used Michelin Blues, then switched to new Michelin yellows.

I had David Empringham work with me for the day to set the car up and teach me how to drive it.

This car is AWESOME!!! What a rush! What a feeling of "I've done the right thing"! Everything the street GT3 does right, this one does (factors) better. Braking, cornering, grip, feel. And the sequential..oh, boy. Is that sweet, or what? I've some work to do on matching the revs on the downshift for h&t, but it's not the horror story I'd come to believe.

And the brakes are strong and true and need to be hammered. THAT was something to get used to.

Once I had the sequential figured out (and NOT to lift!), we started picking up speed and getting quicker. Then, just had to work my brain to going a LOT deeper in corners, pounding on the brake, bang, bang on the shifter, back on the gas.

Off to Mosport (in the rain?) today. Will post more impressions tonight.

DF
Old 05-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Sweeeet! Rain?? That should be interesting. Keep us posted.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:40 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice write up. Seems like you will enjoy it
Old 05-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad to see you've been able to enjoy your new car. The brakes can be made better by resizing the master cylinders, however, someone needs to write a rules proposal to PCA so they can be made legal.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:10 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Great day at Mosport. Got it down to 1.30 and know where there are at least 3 seconds as i get more comfortable with the car. Emps did a 1.26 with me in the car and traffic! Car is set up perfectly. Overcooked Turn 8 at the end of the day and flat-spotted 3 of the tires! Ouch. New ones on for tomorrow and back at 'er!
Old 05-02-2009, 02:04 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

You had David Empringham help you sort the car ??!! That's awesome !

Funny thing... I just took down a signed poster from his Formula Atlantic days to clean the garage this morning. Definately one of my motorsport heroes.

Enjoy the car. I remember reading your posts when you got the car a few months back.

David
Old 05-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Apex GT
Rennlist Member

Fryd, good running with you at Mosport! Your car is quick! Remember that track was super green and the creek in 5B only slowed things down. Sorry we did not get to hang out together on track, next time. David was also 3s a lap faster than I could manage. Simply Wow.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:27 AM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I couldn't really get any heat into the tires (only up to 150F), so didn't feel that confident in 1 or 2 where I know I was losing time....Saturday was a complete waste of time. Crap weather and 20 min run DE groups meant ZERO heat in the tires.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Apex GT
Rennlist Member

I hear you! RR160deg. Are you interested in coming to Calabogie some time? Let me know and I will shoot you some dates.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:36 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

I would be interested in a "Bruce Day" or two perhaps. Would like to get up there this year.

Quick Reply: 997 Cup - First Impressions