Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

SACHS CUP SHOCKS

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 02:21 AM
luiscarlos
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SACHS CUP SHOCKS

Last year I went to a F1 race in canada and noticed some CUP cars had SACHS racing shocks,anyone has used this shocks?

Where to buy?
Old 02-02-2009, 06:05 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Luis,
SACHS is standard setup for Cup and Cup S.
It's standard to keep the cars according to Spec. Racing regulations.

However, if the choice is free, then there are better solutions than the Cup SACHS dampers. Motec, Öhlins etc...
Old 02-02-2009, 06:31 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Moton, JRZ same thing. Easy to get rebuilt in the USA as well
Old 02-02-2009, 11:19 PM
PatK-Mpls
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would respectfully disagree. The Sachs that come on the std Cup are very different than the Sachs that come on the Cup S. The Cup S has a 4-way through rod damper that is absolutely sate of the art and beyond anything that the other companies mentioned have to offer. The Sachs has a larger piston rod up front, a lower friction setup and better frequency response with lower hysteresis than the others. Incidentally, it is the same damper run on the Spider by Penske and Dyson last year.

The downside, they are very expensive.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:04 AM
luiscarlos
Instructor

Yes the ones I saw had some color adjusting ***** close to the lower part of the shock body.
http://www.sachsracing.com/owx_medie...a360/36044.pdf
Old 02-03-2009, 03:47 AM
Rassel
Drifting

Originally Posted by PatK-Mpls
I would respectfully disagree. The Sachs that come on the std Cup are very different than the Sachs that come on the Cup S. The Cup S has a 4-way through rod damper that is absolutely sate of the art and beyond anything that the other companies mentioned have to offer. The Sachs has a larger piston rod up front, a lower friction setup and better frequency response with lower hysteresis than the others. Incidentally, it is the same damper run on the Spider by Penske and Dyson last year.

The downside, they are very expensive.
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. Cup and Cup S are running SACHS which is a brand and not one damper. The Cup SACHS (Not the Cup S SACHS) basically isn't very good. Motons, JRZ, Öhlins all offer better solutions the the Cup SACHS.

If the Cup S version is superior to whatever Motons & Öhlins have to offer is left for another discussion.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:25 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by luiscarlos
Last year I went to a F1 race in canada and noticed some CUP cars had SACHS racing shocks,anyone has used this shocks?

Where to buy?
Montreal was the first IMSA race where 4 way adjustable dampers were allowed. It's pretty likely you were seeing the high-end Sachs Pat described.

It's amazing what irresponsible spending will get you.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:39 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

PCA is also allowing 4-way this year in GTC3 and 4, aren't they? Is there a big advantage vs. the 3-ways??
Old 02-03-2009, 10:54 PM
luiscarlos
Instructor

Who sells them ?
Cost?
Old 02-03-2009, 10:54 PM
luiscarlos
Instructor

So CUP and CUP S have different shocks?
Old 02-04-2009, 06:49 AM
Rassel
Drifting

The complete setup is different.
Much inherited from the RSR.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:44 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

PCA is also allowing 4-way this year in GTC3 and 4, aren't they? Is there a big advantage vs. the 3-ways??
Lets be technically correct here. PCA allows any manufacturer 2-way adjustable dampers in GTC-3. In GTC-4 PCA will follow the IMSA rules and allow any adjustable damper.

There is a subtle difference between 2 and 3 way adjustable shocks that has a large effect on how the car transitions weight in a corner. Unless you have a lot of experience in what adjustments do what, AND have the driver skill to feel the differences, you can get into trouble with multi-way adjustable dampers. The 4-way just adds a low speed rebound adjustment.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:51 PM
luiscarlos
Instructor

So the CUP shocks are Sachs ore the same as the GT3 sorry I'm beginning in this .
Old 02-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

The sachs 996 Cup shocks are double adjustable, the Sachs 997 Shock is non adjustable. Both are legal on a 996. Also any double adjustable is legal as is the 996 nonadjustable stock bilstein. The bilstein is easy/cheap to rebuild, while the sachs are quite expensive to rework/refresh...toppracing@gmail.com all the options as takeoff's from cars I believe.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:53 PM
PatK-Mpls
Instructor

The difference between 2, 3 and 4 way is purely adjustments. A 2-way damper adjusts low speed (meaning damper low frequency) in compression and rebound strokes. A 3-way adds high speed compression. Most 4 ways add high speed rebound but some add mid speed compression (Penskes). The more adjustment, the more control. I will confess that setting up a 4 way requires significant expense and expertise and even then it is hard to get right. In addition to complexity, the 4-ways generally do not operate as well as say non adjustables. (F1 teams use non-adjustable dampers - they dial in multi adjustables and then builkd those curves into non-adjustables). Most adjustables have resevoirs which have heat and pressure drop issues in the line. All this being said, when you get 3 or 4 ways right they are very sweet. You can dial in grip with low speed adjustments and still have planty of platform etc

As to the comments on Sachs vs. other brands: The Sachs and Ohlins are the only two major brands that have true through rod dampers. (Penske only has them available for F1) The Moton and JRZ are basically the old Koni design.

As for cost: The high end 4-ways range between ~$12,000-16,000 for a set .

Quick Reply: SACHS CUP SHOCKS