Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

drive cup car on the public road.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 05:12 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default drive cup car on the public road.

someone told me that if you have used car dealer plate, u can drive cup car on the road?
Old 10-25-2007, 05:24 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pl
someone told me that if you have used car dealer plate, u can drive cup car on the road?
My titled 964 Carrera Cup, which had plates at one time, has been known to transit between my place and the race shop on Dealer Plates. With a totally stripped car, straight pipes, graphics, etc., the ride is very noisy and one becomes paranoid over the 15 mile drive (all on two lane country roads through three small towns. Cops tend to stare very intently at you, mothers gather children behind them, church ladies frown, and you arrive with a splitting headache.

I generally trailer the car now.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:27 PM
v12man
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess you want that plate to show "RSKICKR" as well?

I have seen a 993 GT2 evo on the street on slicks (the red one I posted a picture of in the Cup car **** thread) - guess a cup would work just fine as well if you can avoid the bumps/cops - tarmac is tarmac after all.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:54 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

bob, if you don't have to worry about emmissions too much just insure with hagerty and throw on a muffler and have fun
mine was on the street for years with a full cage, motorsport type exhaust or no exhaust, and a race ride height .
just watch out for the bumps - yours doe snot look too much lower than mine was at the time (it is perhaps 75mm higher than cup specs now to give it a shot at speedbumps currently.

to do a 996 cup onthe street is not impossible as long as it has a VIN - you can transfer a wrecked 996 title to it and your in business (we did that here in WA a few years ago with a Euro Spec EVO VII RS, just bought a totalled lancer chassis for $500 and reregistered it to the evo, legally)

Also there was a Lambo Diable Race car (i forget what the european series was called but it was a factory race car) that was on dealer plates durring the 03 One Lap
Old 10-25-2007, 06:14 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Cupcar#12
bob, if you don't have to worry about emmissions too much just insure with hagerty and throw on a muffler and have fun
mine was on the street for years with a full cage, motorsport type exhaust or no exhaust, and a race ride height .
just watch out for the bumps - yours doe snot look too much lower than mine was at the time (it is perhaps 75mm higher than cup specs now to give it a shot at speedbumps currently.
My car was registered and on tags for the entire time the PO owned it, '92-'06, and in full race configuration. It wasn't worth it to me to register it as I have Dealer Plates that I use. It just isn't fun to drive on the street.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:25 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

No, not legally, just like you cannot import a McLaren F1, 959, 911 GT1, etc and put a dealer plate on it and drive it on the street. It has to do with DOT issues.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:23 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 960 Likes on 455 Posts

pchhh...if a male cop gives you a ticket for being in a 996 cup car, the almighty one of motorsports would smite him...

Ive driven a couple uhh...not "kosher" "road" cars and driven by many ociffers of the law and they normally just thumbs up...
Old 10-25-2007, 09:49 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

On the DOT papers of all my Cup cars that have been imported from Germany to LAX, specifically require you acknowledge that the car is not street legal and cannot be operated on public roads or registered for driving on public roads. The penalty for driving the car is a large fine and potentially deportation to the port where it was shipped to the USA. The language is very clear and if you were caught you would likely pay a fine and have some hassle, if you got caught a few times you might have to use your car in Germany thereafter.

This applies to 993 Cup & RS, 996 Cup & R,RS RSR and 997 Cup & RSR, it may not apply to the 964 USA Cup cars as they were imported as street cars and converted by Andial to Cup cars.

JCM
Old 10-25-2007, 10:41 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by supercup
This applies to 993 Cup & RS, 996 Cup & R,RS RSR and 997 Cup & RSR, it may not apply to the 964 USA Cup cars as they were imported as street cars and converted by Andial to Cup cars.

JCM
It does apply to 964 Cups (true Euro ones ).
Old 10-26-2007, 03:20 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
No, not legally, just like you cannot import a McLaren F1, 959, 911 GT1, etc and put a dealer plate on it and drive it on the street. It has to do with DOT issues.
Cup cars are not legal on the street in any jurisdiction where people do joined up writing. However, in the early part of each year, you will see groups of Cup cars venturing onto the Autobahnen at night and being driven in a very low key manner. Dealer plates, no decals, no helmets. And how unpleasant they are on the street, they drone, they string one jarring thunp together with the next. But read the manual, they have to have been run in before you torque everything up.
Its hard work but somebody has to do it.

R+C
Old 10-26-2007, 02:02 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thx for the replies.
the reason i am asking is: i am exploring the idea of getting a 996 cup car as track toy. start with DE.
but i don't like the hassle of getting a cayenne and a trailer. i want to be able to drive to the track.
guess it's a no go.
rob, the method of transfering vin#(or the paper with the Vin#) is not very legal as it sounds, right?
i just don't want to get any trouble
Old 10-26-2007, 04:05 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything more then a very short trip & you'll start ripping things off the bottom of the car. I would say it's a no-go regardless of legalities unless the track is next door to your house

PS: I did drive my 993 cup back/forth to a buddy's shop to align it a few times but it was only a couple miles away on country roads.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:35 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

i cannot comment on the legalities of the method. But you do have to sign the same waiver from DOT stating that you will not drive it on the road, etc.
your lawyer will probaly not want to hear it, either.

there is nothing stopping you from taking a 996 chassis and adding everything a Cup is to it, bodies in white are $25-30K from porsche new and can replace a damaged chassis in most states.

We did it to get the VII plates (it is a rally car after all) b/c it had to be road legal for transits durring events.

My comments about Carrera Cup USA cars was geared at the fact that they are road legal from porsche and you can drive them on the road in full race spec, state laws permitting. it was not geared at the (cough, cough...Dr. Jupeman) real Euro cup 964's which are not legal to drive on the street and are also under the same DOT racing exemption as the rest of them.
My car was always geared to the street first b/c of the events i ran at the time (one lap and other road events), formal races were never a large componet of what i liked to do.

your ride height will be compromised for the road in whatever you choose to drive to the track.

Honestly your best be is to get a nice GT3 or RSA and put some mod's for the track on it if you are not going to trailer to the track.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:51 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
It does apply to 964 Cups (true Euro ones ).
Particularly when they exceed the allowable percentage of Bondo contained in the body.......
Old 10-26-2007, 05:54 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Particularly when they exceed the allowable percentage of Bondo contained in the body.......
Yeah, it would suck if you hit a pothole & part of your car slid off onto the pavement

Quick Reply: drive cup car on the public road.