Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

996 Cup stock muffler

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2022, 10:04 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 365 Posts

Great advise and exactly what I was planning. I’ll hire some pro coaches as I’ve done in the past with the Boxster platform I tracked for a lot of years. For sure the most predictable way to shave time off. I was curious as to what if anything I might do in conjunction with the coaching to improve the capability of the car. From your comments however it seems as though the car has plenty of capability and if I maximize my skills behind the wheel I should be fine.
Old 09-06-2022, 05:44 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 219 Posts

I think that's the best approach Mark! I have seen some guys fit taller wing uprights to get the rear wing in cleaner air but I haven't experimented with it. I prefer the way the stock uprights look
The following users liked this post:
Mark Dreyer (09-06-2022)
Old 09-06-2022, 09:00 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 710 Likes on 341 Posts

Mark sounds like you have a plan which is a great starting point I learned over the years that throwing mods at a car is expensive and does not come close to seat time and good tires to lower lap times. I too will start driving again as our Florida weather cools at least to under 90 degrees 😀 see you at Sebring soon.
Rich
Old 09-06-2022, 11:57 AM
Ed@Demonspeed
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
My new axles from Demon Speed arrived at the shop so I am looking forward to doing some more learning in the newly acquired 6 Cup this fall. My shop guy Irish Mike is researching some muffler options to go along with some of the good suggestions in this thread.

I thought I’d add to this thread with an off topic rather than create a new one. I don’t have any plans to race this car with PCA so am not concerned about modifying it in any way that would disqualify me. For now while I’m learning it, I plan to do only DE’s. Having said that, are there any suspension or aero mods that can be done to improve what Porsche has done in the factory setup which would allow me to improve my lap times? Many of my track day colleagues are running very fast newer GT cars or Clubsports and I want to do everything possible to be competitive. Not to win any DE’s but to just have fun running similar times. I understand that in the hands of a top pro no mods would be needed, but I’m paid to fix teeth, not post low lap times. LOL.

Thanks to all that have contributed to this thread. I’m excited to get some laps in at Sebring this fall and winter!
Hi,

I agree that seat time and coaches are a great way to improve lap times, however, from the Aero standpoint, Demon Speed has some solutions for you.

First, we have larger wings. We have used these on the 996 cups and the 997 cup cars both in undermount and in swan neck style mountings. It is the GoodAero wing. The cord length is 14", which is over 2" wider than the factory wing. It is also more efficient than the original, has a high camber to make it stable in high turbulent conditions (like behind a race car), and is very light and beautiful due to the carbon fiber/autoclave cured processing.

Home - GOODAero

GOOD Aero - Carbon Fiber Wing (demonspeedmotorsports.com)

For the front downforce, we offer a few different front splitters. My suggestion would probably be the 3 piece splitter. One of the advantages is that if it is damaged, just the damaged section can be replaced rather than the whole splitter.

https://demonspeedmotorsports.com/Fr...ectionalCF.htm

You can also add dive planes to improve the front downforce to balance the larger rear wing.

https://demonspeedmotorsports.com/Di...diveplanes.htm

Happy to talk more about these and other options.

Thanks

Ed

https://www.goodaero.com/
Race Designed Aerodynamics

https://racingtirewarmers.com/
Win more races with tire warmers

Great products for racers by racers

ed@demonspeed.com

Demon Speed Motorsports is a proud sponsor of PCA and the Club Racing Program

Last edited by Ed@Demonspeed; 09-06-2022 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-06-2022, 07:13 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by spiller
My advice is to spend your money on seat time, not mods. In the 4 years I have owned mine I have improved my lap time by 10 seconds and I sincerely doubt any mods would have achieved that sort of improvement. The 996 cup out of the box is a very quick car, even when it’s close to 20 years old. With tyres that aren’t completely shot - don’t have to be stickers necessarily, but they do help - and a good set up, the 996 is faster than pretty much any well driven 991 and 992 GT car (likely excluding the new GT3RS) on a 2 minute lap. I have a lot of fun blowing away half million $ cars (AU) in my 75K 996 cup. And you get to do it with no electronic assistance. Very rewarding cars to drive on the limit!
I agree that you can keep in front of the 991 GT cars (I haven't had any of the 992s near me yet). Definitely fun to keep pace or pass the much younger cars too while feeling how rewarding the car is to drive! Like you said, get some good coaching and you'll be fine. See you at Sebring sometime soon I hope!
Mark Dreyer (09-06-2022)
Old 09-06-2022, 07:19 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by uscarrera
Mark sounds like you have a plan which is a great starting point I learned over the years that throwing mods at a car is expensive and does not come close to seat time and good tires to lower lap times. I too will start driving again as our Florida weather cools at least to under 90 degrees 😀 see you at Sebring soon.
Rich
Rich, maybe we can do some lead follow. I’d love to play around with ya on track!
Old 09-06-2022, 07:21 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ed, thanks for the info. I’ll refer back to it down the road once I’ve done some track days with coaching.
Old 09-06-2022, 07:21 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike Roblin
I agree that you can keep in front of the 991 GT cars (I haven't had any of the 992s near me yet). Definitely fun to keep pace or pass the much younger cars too while feeling how rewarding the car is to drive! Like you said, get some good coaching and you'll be fine. See you at Sebring sometime soon I hope!
Sounds good Mike. PM me when you schedule some Sebring events. I’ll try to make it happen on my end.
Old 09-06-2022, 09:15 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
Sounds good Mike. PM me when you schedule some Sebring events. I’ll try to make it happen on my end.
Will do Mark, my current plan is the next two PBOC events at Sebring. September in two weeks and Winterfest ‘23 in January. If I can squeeze in another event in between I’ll let you know
Mark Dreyer (09-07-2022)
Old 09-07-2022, 09:00 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

I’ll plan for Winterfest. That’s a great event.
Old 11-03-2022, 08:15 AM
MSTACH
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Stick muffler

Originally Posted by Francesco996
Mark, that's how it looks like:
Hello,
do you still have stock muffler that you can sell ?
Old 11-03-2022, 08:19 AM
Francesco996
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i do, PM me
Old 11-03-2022, 11:24 AM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Roblin
Will do Mark, my current plan is the next two PBOC events at Sebring. September in two weeks and Winterfest ‘23 in January. If I can squeeze in another event in between I’ll let you know
Looks like there will be a few 996 Cups at the PBOC event in January, which is sweet. I have a new to me 6 Cup (previously had a 991.1 Cup) but didnt get much time in the car last year. Looking for a better start to this season starting with PBOC and then also doing the Dave Murry event 2 weeks later. Would be nice to meet you all. Erik

Quick Reply: 996 Cup stock muffler