Notices
Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

Oil level display operating instructions ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 03:04 AM
cid042
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Oil level display operating instructions ?

Hello,I have just installed a 997 RSR oil level display on my Cup S, and I must say that I do not really understand how it works or should work.I have found the two brightness buttons (easy ones :-P), but the % value is very fluctuent, with the engine at idle, between 60 & 100 %. I also have a "table underflow" message in what seems to be an error page, and several other % value that I do not know the purpose.Would anyone have a manual for this device, or some explanations on how it works ?Thanks in advance for any helpCedric
Old 06-21-2018, 03:07 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cid042
Hello,I have just installed a 997 RSR oil level display on my Cup S, and I must say that I do not really understand how it works or should work.I have found the two brightness buttons (easy ones :-P), but the % value is very fluctuent, with the engine at idle, between 60 & 100 %. I also have a "table underflow" message in what seems to be an error page, and several other % value that I do not know the purpose.Would anyone have a manual for this device, or some explanations on how it works ?Thanks in advance for any helpCedric
I don't know all the answers to your questions, but they certainly could have come up with a more clear way to display the oil level without doing algebra (First pic below is my car with instructions on the window). I have also seen several different "instructions" on how it should be read, max values, etc and seems to vary depending on what factory manual /car you are referring to, even though they all use the same part number, which would lead one to believe the signal it receives varies by car:

GT3-R Manual:

FROM RSR MANUAL:

FROM 991 Cup MANUAL:

FROM 997 CUP Manual (basically no instructions at all):

Old 06-21-2018, 05:40 PM
cid042
Rennlist Member

Many many thanks for all these inputs. I had read the rsr manual, but didn't have the other ones. I guess the 997 cup manual is a 997.2 cup one ?

I seem to have an error message code 16, but no documentation for it...

I have asked Porsche Motorsport Germany, and they sent me the 07' rsr manual which is... Well.... pretty useless...
Old 06-21-2018, 06:01 PM
georgemcf
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have any instructions for it, but when I do an oil change (very soon) I am going to check those numbers to see if they match what I put in the tank.

Plus make a calibration table for the Motec Dash. So if anybody wants it let me know. It is already pre-wired into the dash on pin 1 (AV15 in the dash). Id assume Cup S will be the same as Cup R
Old 06-21-2018, 06:05 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Originally Posted by cid042
I guess the 997 cup manual is a 997.2 cup one ?

Yes, that's correct.

Are you sure your car has the sensor in the tank? 996.606.140.00
The error message you are getting; in MODAS/"oillevel" variable....or MOTEC/"Oillevel Prozent" ?
Old 06-21-2018, 06:09 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Originally Posted by georgemcf
I don't have any instructions for it, but when I do an oil change (very soon) I am going to check those numbers to see if they match what I put in the tank.

Plus make a calibration table for the Motec Dash. So if anybody wants it let me know. It is already pre-wired into the dash on pin 1 (AV15 in the dash). Id assume Cup S will be the same as Cup R
George - I would definitely want that. My current attitude towards the display is: "As long as that strobe inst going off I'm good." LOL

BTW, these displays are roughly $3800 US; Ph.D. in Mathematics not included.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:20 AM
dogger15
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My car had one of these units. Interestingly, it was mounted where the driver couldn’t see it but was plainly visible from the passenger side for the pit crew to see during a stop. It’s my understanding these are primarily intended for endurance events (6-24 hr), where the oil level can be checked and topped off as needed during a pit stop.

Old 06-22-2018, 01:38 AM
FLA997
Drifting

Originally Posted by dogger15
My car had one of these units. Interestingly, it was mounted where the driver couldn’t see it but was plainly visible from the passenger side for the pit crew to see during a stop. It’s my understanding these are primarily intended for endurance events (6-24 hr), where the oil level can be checked and topped off as needed during a pit stop.

That's exactly right - they aren't intended to be useful for the driver at all. The intent of the very bright LED flasher is to signal the crew of a dangerously low oil condition as the car is on track and passes pit row.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:45 AM
cid042
Rennlist Member

PM DE confirmed me that they do not have any other documentation for this unit than what is Inside the various cars manuals...
Old 06-28-2018, 03:53 AM
georgemcf
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a calibration for the dash to log the oil level percent, I confirmed it was pretty accurate today. I am just swapping over to a new laptop so once that is complete I can provide it to whoever wants it.

However, I did spend about 4hrs figuring out why I was not getting the data in the dash initially. I traced it to a wiring issue, or perhaps Porsche did not connect the wires into plugs. Either way I solved it. If you would like a copy, you can send me a photo of a specific plug and I can tell you if it is ready to go or not. (providing you have enough dash inputs or the option has been enabled in the dash.)

Quick Reply: Oil level display operating instructions ?