Sponsored by:

Question on suspensions: Trying to set Bump Steer

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 07:59 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

I am running 800F / 1000R springs, Car weighs 3100lbs with driver. I am running 2 way Moton shocks - some day when I feel rich, I will get some JRZ's or equiv...
Old 05-07-2018, 09:02 PM
haulinkraut
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rbahr
I am running 800F / 1000R springs, Car weighs 3100lbs with driver. I am running 2 way Moton shocks - some day when I feel rich, I will get some JRZ's or equiv...
Those are pretty light. Honestly with your dampers higher spring rates are easily manageable.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:59 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by rbahr
Front ride height has been between 95 - 100mm. Yes on the subframes - front and rear. Rear has been ~ 125 mm - I am unable to run lower due to the wheel wells. Been wondering about rake as well. Been running 25-30mm rake. The cup cars ONLY work as well as they do because of the astronomical spring rates which essentially remove all compliance (my opinion). I was hoping that I could run softer rates AND lower the car while not giving up on compliance. It does open a boatload / pantload /... of tuning issues, for example - what is the correct rake / ride height. What about rear CASTOR (not camber) since we can also adjust it.

Been thinking about this as well, and I need to verify this with some experimentation, BUT I guess I don't see this. I am thinking that there is NO effective difference between mounting a laser on the rim / up-right as a mirror since the mirror will also reflect all changes in x,y,z, and rotation. By compensating for rotation (easy to do if I am measuring it) I can essentially eliminate it - at least that is the theory.

I also think I understand the rotation I am seeing - since the strut is not orthogonal (in part castor) to the road surface, AND most joints have movement, when the ball joint raises, there is a vector that essentially rotates the leading edge of the rotor

Ray
Think about the vertical movement. Imagine if the strut was mounted purely vertically and just slid straight up and down in a vertical plane - no lower control arm to move through an arc, just pure vertical transition on a sliding joint. If you attached a mirror to the hub and shined a laser at it, the mirror would move up and down, but your reflected spot on a target would be perfectly stationary! If you attach the laser to the hub, the laser spot will move in a straight line up and down. Because of steering axis inclination (and caster), even if you have zero bump steer, a laser spot will move on an angled line from lower right to upper left as the suspension moves up if it's connected to the upright. If you have a mirror, again the laser would not move left or right at all and up and down motion is only due to camber changes.

Quick Reply: Question on suspensions: Trying to set Bump Steer