Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

Those Who Have Spring Mountain, CVM or Thermal Membership

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 10:51 PM
trader247
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Those Who Have Spring Mountain, CVM or Thermal Membership

I am considering membership at either Spring Mountain, CVM (Chuckwalla) or Thermal. I currently live just West of Los Angeles.

I am racking up a bunch of private track days (now 6 or more per month). I would probably drive 10-12 days per month if I had a membership.

Would love to hear others experiences. I am not looking to get a house or lot at the track, just the track membership. I still plan on keeping my car at my current shop for a good portion of time. But, it just seems so convenient for testing to go to one of these tracks for a few days at a time vs private track rental, support, transport, etc.

Please share your experiences, pros vs cons. I would prefer a place that has rentals/condos/garages, etc.

Also, do any of the above tracks have a good Cup mechanic, set up person, support, coach, etc.

Thanks
Old 08-22-2017, 03:10 AM
MikeGT
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts

Can't help with the membership value. I can help with the Cup Mechanic. I use a guy who is a hired gun on pro teams. He visits CA and comes to my warehouse to work on my cup. His specialty is set ups, but also does my basic service (fluid changes, brakes, etc.). VERY reasonable and knows what he's doing. PM me and I'll give you the info.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:04 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Reach out to James at GMG. He can give you some good info on Thermal. I believe he is a member.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:43 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I've driven all three tracks and overall I think the best membership would be Spring Mountain. The price is reasonable, multiple track configurations, and a fabulous facility. The condos there are inexpensive and very comfortable and the nearby town has plenty of restaurants etc. BUT the track isn't great it's pretty bumpy and the run off areas aren't as good as they could be.
Chuckwalla is a really fun track and can be run in both directions. The track is smoother that SM and the run off areas are OK. There are no facilities other than a bathroom but the cheap membership fee reflects that....if you bother to join at all there are many track events there. It's about an hour drive from La Quinta in the middle of the desert so pretty isolated.
Thermal is fantastic and an absolute first class facility. The Wilson track (Miller) is smooth and well though out with multiple configurations. BUT it's primarily a real estate deal so you have to buy land and build your man cave. Once you're fully built (mandatory) you'll be into it for about $1.5M.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:50 PM
trader247
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeGT
Can't help with the membership value. I can help with the Cup Mechanic. I use a guy who is a hired gun on pro teams. He visits CA and comes to my warehouse to work on my cup. His specialty is set ups, but also does my basic service (fluid changes, brakes, etc.). VERY reasonable and knows what he's doing. PM me and I'll give you the info.
Thanks, I've got great support. Was just wondering in there was anyone already setup at any of those tracks for things if my group wasn't there.

Originally Posted by stujelly
Reach out to James at GMG. He can give you some good info on Thermal. I believe he is a member.
Thanks, good idea.

Originally Posted by Leigh2
I've driven all three tracks and overall I think the best membership would be Spring Mountain. The price is reasonable, multiple track configurations, and a fabulous facility. The condos there are inexpensive and very comfortable and the nearby town has plenty of restaurants etc. BUT the track isn't great it's pretty bumpy and the run off areas aren't as good as they could be.
Chuckwalla is a really fun track and can be run in both directions. The track is smoother that SM and the run off areas are OK. There are no facilities other than a bathroom but the cheap membership fee reflects that....if you bother to join at all there are many track events there. It's about an hour drive from La Quinta in the middle of the desert so pretty isolated.
Thermal is fantastic and an absolute first class facility. The Wilson track (Miller) is smooth and well though out with multiple configurations. BUT it's primarily a real estate deal so you have to buy land and build your man cave. Once you're fully built (mandatory) you'll be into it for about $1.5M.
Sounds like you get what you pay for. Spring Mountain sounds like the best bang for your buck. I will be there in Oct and see how I feel about the track. Thanks
Old 08-24-2017, 06:02 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 745 Likes on 404 Posts

I can only speak for Spring Mountain. It is awesome. Going back end of September. Memberships are climbing as it is exploding in popularity. Facilities are amazing. Garages, condos and reasonable rates ($110/night). It has the country club feel but for cars. Clubhouse is nice, food is good and plenty of places to go right outside the gates. 40 minute drive or so to Vegas so if you have to fly in it's easy.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:06 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Thermal would be my first choice.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:55 AM
bkovac
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I believe with Thermal you are required to purchase property to build on
Old 01-16-2024, 05:27 AM
McLaren
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize this is an old thread, but in case someone is interested I have a Charter Membership for sale. PM if interested
Old 01-17-2024, 07:38 PM
zip465
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Former Thermal member here. I was on a corporate membership with James - GMG, I had the only track-only membership at the time e.g. no real estate commitment (don't think they do that anymore). Thermal is an awesome track, well run, great facilities, but Africa hot in the summer. Monthly dues got out of hand (at least for me) as they just kept going up with no real return on value or experience at the track, so I sold my membership back to Thermal. Would I do it again, yes, as long as I had either a house/garage on site vs. hauling in every time. I would also recommend chatting with James at GMG, last he and I chatted he had some unique opportunities that were coming with his new facility.
Old 01-17-2024, 08:20 PM
revolutioN99
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by zip465
Former Thermal member here. I was on a corporate membership with James - GMG, I had the only track-only membership at the time e.g. no real estate commitment (don't think they do that anymore). Thermal is an awesome track, well run, great facilities, but Africa hot in the summer. Monthly dues got out of hand (at least for me) as they just kept going up with no real return on value or experience at the track, so I sold my membership back to Thermal. Would I do it again, yes, as long as I had either a house/garage on site vs. hauling in every time. I would also recommend chatting with James at GMG, last he and I chatted he had some unique opportunities that were coming with his new facility.
Really would love some sort of membership there but the real estate commitment is what makes you hold back. Especially with the price of property plus the minimum square footage they make you build at. Some sort of small shop/house idea would be nice but a minimum of 3,000 sq ft off track and minimum of 6000 sq ft on track is too much. Wonder what James has to offer.

Quick Reply: Those Who Have Spring Mountain, CVM or Thermal Membership