Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK Anomaly

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 01:15 PM
soundaround
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default PDK Anomaly

2011 987.2 S owner and wondered if anyone had ever experienced the PDK transmission allowing an Over-Rev (even only briefly) in automatic mode. I know it can be done in manual mode, but I would have thought the programming would have caused an upshift prior to it happening. It has only happened one time and was limited immediately, but I am wondering if the transmission needs servicing (the shops will, of course, say yes, but I am looking for owner-only input at this time). Many thanks
Old 01-23-2019, 03:27 PM
Viper pilot
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 64 Posts

What makes you think it 'over revved'? Are you sure it didn't just bump against the rev-limiter?
Old 01-23-2019, 08:30 PM
soundaround
Advanced

Originally Posted by Viper pilot
What makes you think it 'over revved'? Are you sure it didn't just bump against the rev-limiter?
Not really sure - only know that the limiter shut it down for a second then the gear changed and then engine re-revved. Assumed it went past because of how the PDK and engine reacted
Old 01-30-2019, 08:55 PM
billwot
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You just bounced off the rev limiter. It just did what its supposed to do. Perfectly normal.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:41 PM
soundaround
Advanced

Originally Posted by billwot
You just bounced off the rev limiter. It just did what its supposed to do. Perfectly normal.
Many Thanks - acknowledged and understood - I simply thought the PDK in automatic mode would have changed gears before bounce

I’m beginning to think that the throttle cable may need to be checked and lubed - there is a strange almost sticky tip-in from 1st so it could be something I need to check

Thanks again
Old 01-31-2019, 09:00 PM
fcap
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have the car looked at. It shouldn't hit the rev limiter in auto.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:47 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by soundaround

Many Thanks - acknowledged and understood - I simply thought the PDK in automatic mode would have changed gears before bounce

I’m beginning to think that the throttle cable may need to be checked and lubed - there is a strange almost sticky tip-in from 1st so it could be something I need to check

Thanks again
Its throttle by wire, hence no throttle cable.
Old 11-23-2019, 05:57 PM
dlbehrns
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My question is not fluid/heat related but PDK related. I have the standard steering wheel with the little + - metal buttons that will shift the car up in manual mode but not down. What's up with that? TIA dlb
Old 11-23-2019, 06:58 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by dlbehrns
My question is not fluid/heat related but PDK related. I have the standard steering wheel with the little + - metal buttons that will shift the car up in manual mode but not down. What's up with that? TIA dlb
When you post an issue with your car, it's gives a good reference point if you include the model year, model (Base, S, etc), mileage and how long the problem has been present.

That said, the PDK should downshift when you press the (-) button. You indicate that the problem is present in manual mode. Will it downshift if you press the (-) button in automatic mode?
Old 11-23-2019, 07:22 PM
dlbehrns
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

14 base. now that you ask, I don't know that i have tried auto mode. I just assumed the buttons applied to manual mode. that said, if it did downshift with the buttons in auto mode, it would up shift automatically which would defeat the purpose of the + side of the equation, no?
Old 11-23-2019, 11:02 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by dlbehrns
...that said, if it did downshift with the buttons in auto mode, it would up shift automatically which would defeat the purpose of the + side of the equation, no?
No. I'm not going to type it our here, but it's fairly simple. The buttons should upshift and downshift in both manual and automatic mode. Instead of typing here, you need to get out, put your car in different modes and play with it. Again, it should downshift in both manual and automatic modes. If it doesn't, then you have a problem and need to talk to a shop.

BTW, I see that you're close to being in in a pi$$ing contest on another board...Posting your problem on multiple forums just dilutes the discussion. Pick a board and stay with it (Everyone here reads multiple forums) . That way everyone replying (and attempting to help you) knows whats going on.

Jus' sayin'...
Old 12-09-2019, 08:36 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

The "-" shift won't be allowed if it would force the engine into an over-rev condition. The buttons are fully functional in auto mode - they put it in manual mode for about 4 seconds or so, then it automatically switches back to auto mode.

Quick Reply: PDK Anomaly