Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2011 Cayenne S with 60K Extended Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 08:06 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 115 Posts
Default 2011 Cayenne S with 60K Extended Warranty?

Purchasing a used 2011 S from a Porsche dealer. It is out of warranty, i asked about an aftermarket extended warranty. Wondering what people think about purchasing the extended warranty. I think it is about $7K for 10 years. The sales guy says you won't recover the warranty cost. Especially because i can work on these things. The car is one owner with full service history. Nothing major has happened since new except a thermostat housing about 30K ago. They say the car should be solid with only the normal type stuff needing repair. From my research i am concerned about the transfer case. From what i read its about $4k to replace. Not too bad, they wanted 6K for the steering rack on my BWM X5. Would appreciate any thoughts.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:28 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

I would not buy unless its CPO.

If the dealer provides proof that the engine was inspected/serviced for the faulty cam bolts you should be all set.

Here is a link with details...
http://www.bestattorney.com/blog/wp-...22-Porsche.pdf

Looks like attorneys are involved...

http://www.bestattorney.com/blog/por...comes-to-light

P will cover this if CPO otherwise it can be a very expensive experience.

Last edited by v10rick; 09-03-2016 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:12 PM
Joel 67
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If it's otherwise in good shape, your dealer should be willing to CPO it for about $2300. If they won't, ask why.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:50 PM
Speedvagen
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here is a good blurb on the cpo program - assuming it is in good shape, the dealer could cpo it as Joel says.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/approvedu...rscheapproved/

Otherwise, check out Fidelity for an extended warranty. I have my 2012 turbo with Fidelity.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:20 AM
MIK911
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Agree with others. I bought a Cayenne base 2011 with 55K last year from a P dealer. They included CPO (2 yrs/100K), which was the deal maker for me. My dealer basically said if it's not worth it to them to CPO it, they won't sell it.
Negotiate/beg/buy the CPO or walk.
If no CPO, you should be able to find a similar ride for cheaper from a private party.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:05 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Negotiated the CPO warranty to 100k, they say they cannot legally sell a Porsche that has campaign that is not implemented, so the cam bolts have been done. Should pick it up on Friday. The wife will be happy (=everybody is happy).
Old 09-06-2016, 08:30 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,144 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by Third-Reef
they say they cannot legally sell a Porsche that has campaign that is not implemented, so the cam bolts have been done.
That's a waffle. If the cam bolts were done they'd be listed in the Porsche Cars NA vehicle history - and they could show you that.

What's more likely is the one you're buying is like mine - has the aluminum bolts (well - mine did until today) - but the VIN# isn't included in the recall - so the campaign doesn't apply. BTW - "legally" - where is the law behind that statement? It's BS.. Open recall - perhaps. Service-Campaign - nope.

Ask them to show you the service records showing the campaign was completed on this vehicle, or get it in writing that it was done. If they won't do that - the bolts are still the explody ones..

Last edited by deilenberger; 09-06-2016 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:54 AM
Joel 67
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
That's a waffle. If the cam bolts were done they'd be listed in the Porsche Cars NA vehicle history - and they could show you that.

What's more likely is the one you're buying is like mine - has the aluminum bolts (well - mine did until today) - but the VIN# isn't included in the recall - so the campaign doesn't apply. BTW - "legally" - where is the law behind that statement? It's BS.. Open recall - perhaps. Service-Campaign - nope.

Ask them to show you the service records showing the campaign was completed on this vehicle, or get it in writing that it was done. If they won't do that - the bolts are still the explody ones..
While you are probably right, he has 2 years to figure that out, develop a relationship with the service department (who can then lobby on his behalf in case of out of warranty failure), and possibly wait it out until PCNA decides to either replace all of them or deal with failures as they occur. Either way, CPO is good piece of mind for me.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:25 AM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Negotiated the CPO warranty to 100k, they say they cannot legally sell a Porsche that has campaign that is not implemented, so the cam bolts have been done. Should pick it up on Friday. The wife will be happy (=everybody is happy).
Mission accomplished.

They should have no problem providing proof that WC22 has been done or the VIN is outside the range of affected vehicles.

If you plan to sell before the CPO expires its not an issue.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:03 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

I read online somewhere here that it is fairly east to check them through the oil filler cap with a magnet. If they are the aluminum ones I will lobby heavily to get them replaced as a safer issue. We are buying this to tow the boat up an down the hill to Tahoe, Not a good spot to loose the brake assist or power steering.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:56 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by Joel 67
While you are probably right, he has 2 years to figure that out, develop a relationship with the service department (who can then lobby on his behalf in case of out of warranty failure), and possibly wait it out until PCNA decides to either replace all of them or deal with failures as they occur. Either way, CPO is good piece of mind for me.
I'd agree - but just pointing out the dealer is glossing this over.. using some weasel language. What a surprise!

Having CPO is good. I have a 5 year/100k warranty on mine, but despite that, it's in at Porsche getting the new Variocam adjusters (with steel bolts) just for my peace of mind if I want to go for a little ride (NJ to CA to NJ) and might be in some areas where the V8 engines aren't kept in stock.

Cost to have WC-22 done on my nickel is about $2,700+tax.
Peace of mind = priceless.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:00 PM
deilenberger
Banned

I read online somewhere here that it is fairly east to check them through the oil filler cap with a magnet. If they are the aluminum ones I will lobby heavily to get them replaced as a safer issue. We are buying this to tow the boat up an down the hill to Tahoe, Not a good spot to loose the brake assist or power steering.
You don't even need a magnet - all you need is a dental mirror (or careful use of your cell phone camera.) You look at the back of the sprocket through the oil filler and you'll see the bolts. The aluminum bolts are a security torx (one with a pin in the center of the hole so a common torx bit can't be used to remove them.) The steel bolts are a standard bolt - allen from memory (got a quick look at them the other day before they went into my engine.)
Old 09-07-2016, 01:03 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by v10rick
They should have no problem providing proof that WC22 has been done or the VIN is outside the range of affected vehicles.
The dealer should have no problem with either of those.. except not being included in the VIN# for the campaign doesn't mean it's free of the problem.

Quick Reply: 2011 Cayenne S with 60K Extended Warranty?