Sponsored by:

Changing sidemarker bulb?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 01:12 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts
Default Changing sidemarker bulb?

I actually did open the owner's manual, where they explain in some detail the headlight and taillights - and nothing much else.

I've got 2,000 miles left of an 8,000 mile trip, and I'm currently at 8,500 miles on the trip (I was never good with math..) and the damn warning message is starting to really annoy me. So I bought what are supposed to be the bulbs (the push in mini-bulbs right? NO store will own up to ever hearing of a W5W..)

Anyway, I have a nice motel parking lot to do the job in, and did bring along a selection of torx, + and - screwdrivers, triple-square bits and other tools of destruction besides the stock junk..

So how does one go about replacing that bulb?

TIA!
Old 08-12-2011, 01:43 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Your gonna love this. Seems like the top screw for the slotted lens clip is the trouble maker.
Don't know if the lens has to be removed to change the bulb.
Good luck.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutor...with-pictures/

Or

http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutor...-side-markers/

Last edited by bigbuzuki; 08-12-2011 at 02:05 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:09 AM
deilenberger
Banned

I read that. It mostly involved R&R of the light housing. My question would be - can you replace the bulb without removing the housing? Would seem if the fender liner can be pulled back, perhaps the socket and bulb is accessable? Would make sense to design it that way, so probably not..
Old 08-12-2011, 03:02 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I actually did open the owner's manual, where they explain in some detail the headlight and taillights - and nothing much else.

I've got 2,000 miles left of an 8,000 mile trip, and I'm currently at 8,500 miles on the trip (I was never good with math..) and the damn warning message is starting to really annoy me. So I bought what are supposed to be the bulbs (the push in mini-bulbs right? NO store will own up to ever hearing of a W5W..)

Anyway, I have a nice motel parking lot to do the job in, and did bring along a selection of torx, + and - screwdrivers, triple-square bits and other tools of destruction besides the stock junk..

So how does one go about replacing that bulb?

TIA!
I read that. It mostly involved R&R of the light housing. My question would be - can you replace the bulb without removing the housing? Would seem if the fender liner can be pulled back, perhaps the socket and bulb is accessable? Would make sense to design it that way, so probably not..
The housing has to be removed in order to replace the bulb. A while back I posted a DIY on how to install clear side markers to replace the stock yellow ones. The link is below and should give you the information you're looking for.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ht=side+marker
Old 08-12-2011, 04:57 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You can be our guinea pig and find out before that warning drives you nuts.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:38 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

In place of removing the housing, it can be partially and carefully deformed in order to access that infamous top bolt. I use a stubby mini-socket wrench which works well. Just remember to wear rubber or latex gloves otherwise your hands will take a severe beating.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Regarding my post #4 above I assumed (no doubt incorrectly) that the sidemarker in question was on an '11 Cayenne. (You mean they made them before that? ) My only excuse is that it was late and I wasn't thinking straight. My apologies if I led anyone astray.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:57 PM
D2k
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My service advisor replaced the sidemarker bulb without removing the housing. He just pulled the fender liner out a bit and did it blindly with one hand. Took him literally 2 minutes.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:04 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by D2k
My service advisor replaced the sidemarker bulb without removing the housing. He just pulled the fender liner out a bit and did it blindly with one hand. Took him literally 2 minutes.
Thanks. What I thought. I'm going through Fargo ND tomorrow AM. The only Porsche dealer in about 800 miles is there.. and has service hours on Saturday. I'll drop by and see if they want to replace it under CPO.. If not, I'll go pull out the fender liner (I assume he R&R'd the few visible screws..) and see if I can replicate what your SA did.

THANKS MUCH!
Old 08-12-2011, 09:20 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Good Luck!
And safe travels.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:16 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Done. Piece'a cake job. To change the bulb:

1. Remove torx screw above light assembly in fender well.
2. Remove the torx screw under the light assembly in fender well.
3. Pull out fender liner (it will come out far enough to easily fit my hand in behind the light assembly)
4. Feel around - you'll find a wire going to the light housing. On the end of the wire is a rubber socket that pushes over a doofus that sticks out from the light housing.
5. Wiggle the rubber socket out toward the center of the car.
6. Pull it out between the bumper and fender liner. The wire IS long enough.
7. Replace the bulb.
8. Reassembly is the reverse.

Took all of 10 minutes which included pulling out my tools, stopping to talk to SWMBO who came to see when we were going to dinner.

No more BEEP and warning message when the lights come on! Whee! Will replace the other one when I get home - cost of 2 bulbs was $2.98 (and no tax in Montana!)
Old 06-01-2014, 08:50 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 213 Posts

Just did this on my '08 Cayenne. Funny - it's so simple but with Porsche "simple" takes many shapes. I thought the bulb holder might twist out like many other cars. If you try that too hard you could damage the side light or the bulb holder. I'm glad I found this post with. In this case simple really was.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:34 PM
maxcayenne
Intermediate

Is there a video of this DIY? didn't see anything on youtube
Old 03-18-2017, 04:55 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by maxcayenne
Is there a video of this DIY? didn't see anything on youtube
No. Follow the steps I outline. Video isn't needed for everything in life - sometimes written instructions are more valuable (especially since there is no way to video getting the socket out or into the light housing.)
Old 05-01-2021, 06:35 PM
jej3
Three Wheelin'

Received 341 Likes on 171 Posts

No. Follow the steps I outline. Video isn't needed for everything in life - sometimes written instructions are more valuable (especially since there is no way to video getting the socket out or into the light housing.)

Excellent words. I was done with both sides in less than 15 minutes.
The following users liked this post:
deilenberger (05-02-2021)

Quick Reply: Changing sidemarker bulb?