Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 03:03 AM
nels415
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Faulty Steering code

Hi,

I'm posting this question for a friend. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My 2004 Cayenne S has the following error message: "Faulty Steering" in red on the display. I cannot start the car or even get it into neutral since everything is locked out. I tried cycling a few fuses but the error isn't going away. Does anyone have any suggestions or resolutions for the situation?

-nels
Old 09-29-2010, 05:55 PM
MBailey
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nels,
I have the same problem...
I sure wish you had told us what you learned about this problem!
Old 09-29-2010, 08:59 PM
gaurang
Instructor

I had the same problem. Cylcing fuses worked for me
Old 12-12-2011, 06:57 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Over a year later, (four from first post) Bailey, did cycling your fuses work for you too? Did you battery get low (bad battery here - friends car) before it happened? I wish people would finish these with how they fixed the problem.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:08 PM
sandys04cayenne
1st Gear

I HAVE THE SSAME PROBLEM, DROVE TRUCK ALL DAY. GPOT HOME SUT OFF, WENT TO MOVE IT AGAIN, AND "STEERING FAULTY" LIGHT IS ON. TRUCK WONT START, NO POWER TO WINDOWS, BLINKERS, ETC...
Old 03-22-2016, 06:26 AM
Farhan Khan
1st Gear

Hi Guys....got the same steering faulty problem on my Porsche Cayenne Turbo 2004. Which fuse number and where do I change it? Responses much appreciated!
Old 01-03-2017, 08:25 PM
Johnj1411
8th Gear

any body got any answers to all above questions this has happened to me and I don't know what to do
whats the procedure
Old 02-19-2017, 05:14 PM
Porsharyder
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Farhan Khan
Hi Guys....got the same steering faulty problem on my Porsche Cayenne Turbo 2004. Which fuse number and where do I change it? Responses much appreciated!
Man im having this problem right now i have a 2004 porsche s and was getting steering faulty i bought a used one and they wont install only porsche.i,did recently buy a used refurbished auxiliary battery in,the rear please help.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:57 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsharyder
Man im having this problem right now i have a 2004 porsche s and was getting steering faulty i bought a used one and they wont install only porsche.i,did recently buy a used refurbished auxiliary battery in,the rear please help.
I'd suggest also looking at: https://www.renntech.org/forums/sear...teering+faulty

Unfortunately - the fix is a new steering column. Not inexpensive and not an easy thing to install. In reading about the failure mode - there is a small plastic bit inside the column that eventually wears out. That piece is not available as a replacement part. Since the column is part of the anti-theft setup, when this fails the vehicle can't be started, or even have the shifter moved out of PARK (although there is an emergency procedure you can use to get it to neutral.) The column is coded to the vehicle, so replacing it with another used one isn't going to work. It has to be a new column and it has to be coded to the VIN# of the vehicle before it all works.

Think $$$$.

BTW - many of the people above came here with this problem - asked about it never to be heard from again. It's nice if people post the resolution to their problem so others can learn from their experience.. but in this case I'm willing to bet most of the vehicles were sold very cheaply or junked since the repair cost about equals the value of the vehicle. Some clever person with a good 3-D printer could make some serious coin producing replacements for the part that breaks.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:54 PM
Adam5oh
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went through this with our 08. Dealer wanted 5k to replace the steering column and KESSY module. I did some interneting and found this:

http://www.speedosolutions.com/Audi-...ice_p_112.html

Talked with an indy that had some experience with the issue but had only swapped out a matching KESSY and steering column from a wrecked car. I showed him the service and he said it was worth a shot, so we rolled the dice. Got the car back today $1200 bucks later, so I'd say so far this is a viable alternative. If something happens in the future I'll post an update.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:07 PM
Johnj1411
8th Gear

So up date on the steering problem this has gone on for 5 months now firstly sent parts to EMD in Sydney in November, twice they have attempted to fix it both times epic fail . so got parts back and after a fight got part refund only , so wont be using them again
impossible to speak to anyone there accept receptionist who knows nothing and just bull****s here way through each day saying try this and that, exept its supposed to be a plug and play once they have fixed it ,

anyway onward and upward its now on its way to Tom at speedosolutions he wanted key, Kessy and lock to set it all up in a live simulation so will let you know when it arrives backin a few weeks
Old 03-13-2017, 06:00 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Looking forward to hearing about your results. This is one of those things where Porsche dealers absolutely know they are screwing you when it goes wrong, but they can totally get away with it.

Interesting that the other cars are similarly plagued by this issue:
2003-2010 Audi A8
2003-2010 Porsche Cayenne
2004-2010 VW Touareg / Phaeoton
2004-2010 Bentley Continental
Old 03-13-2017, 06:29 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Apparently this is much more widespread across other models:
http://repairpal.com/car-doent-start...answers-target

This is some serious BS on VW/Audi's part. It is such a shame to think about how many people have had to needlessly replace their entire steering column for some tiny mechanisms breaking/sticking in the steering lock.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:15 AM
RT_955TT_KY
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the additional info Nodoors. The root of this problem is a Siemens based part. A Durametric WILL reset the error (located under "Alarm") only after holding the brake pedal down for ~30 seconds which wakes up part of the CAN bus that will allow communication with the KESSY module.

Seems there are two different "typical" failures. In my case, the plastic arm that slides back and forth with the lock mechanism was broken. The end of this arm contains 2 polar position specific magnets that generate a "lock" or "unlock" signal thru a 3 axis Hall Effect sensor array based on position, movement, and speed of movement.

The other weak spot is the two on board relays. They can prevent a full current 12v circuit from powering the lock motor. These relays can be sourced from a donor unit, or new. 4 or 5 solder connections per relay.

I wish I had the time and I would bypass the motor and simulate the proper signals with a couple of additional relays or similar.

A complete used lock won't work with out being virginized electronically thus allowing it to be paired with the existing KESSY module. A used lock can be stripped and used for parts though.

Relays and hall effect sensor
Plastic arm
The following users liked this post:
Brearz (09-22-2022)
Old 03-14-2017, 01:58 AM
RT_955TT_KY
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

A few more photos of the assembly

My plastic arm im flex mode. Not good.
Close up of the relays
Board reinstalled in housing with position arm at full extension
Diagrams. Lock has three wires. CAN high, CAN low, and data. The high and low are the source power for the 12v motor, low current here can cause problems.
Straight on shot of the hall effect sensors. No cheap microswitches like VW.
Pic of the backside of the board prior to removal
The following 2 users liked this post by RT_955TT_KY:
Brearz (09-22-2022), Sid Rao (04-04-2022)

Quick Reply: Faulty Steering code