Sponsored by:

Faulty Steering code

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2023, 08:44 PM
theprf
Drifting

Received 1,645 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by SVAustin
Not sure I understand what you mean. I will google. Didn’t know by plugging in I could mess something up. I do have a Snap On system as well as a generic one for certain makes that are not supported by Snap Ons Computer.
Durametric enthusiast only allows three different vin#'s to be scanned with it. If you try to read a 4th vehicle is won't work. There is a menu option to show "married" vin#'s somewhere.
Of course rhis only happens on cars thst support reading out the vin# from the ecu - IIRC the 964 does not so you can use Dura on as many 964's as you like.
Old 03-12-2023, 09:14 PM
SVAustin
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by theprf
Durametric enthusiast only allows three different vin#'s to be scanned with it. If you try to read a 4th vehicle is won't work. There is a menu option to show "married" vin#'s somewhere.
Of course rhis only happens on cars thst support reading out the vin# from the ecu - IIRC the 964 does not so you can use Dura on as many 964's as you like.
thanks for that it does show as having any vins saved
Old 03-12-2023, 10:29 PM
RufCTR2
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just reading back thru -- seems like the root cause is the ignition not powering on, correct? Durametric is probably fine, its just waiting on the ignition. Does he by chance have the auxiliary battery installed? Check for that, in the event there are two batteries, only changing the drivers seat one isn't always enough. Also check the main relay on the power panel under the drivers seat - on the power distribution panel. Also there are 2 fuses I think on there with the relay. Can't miss the relay - one single black cube with "433" or similar printed. It should audibly click if your ear is close enough. If you don't know how to test it with a multimeter, I believe it is identical to the starter relay in the relay panel under the hood on. Verify it's the identical part and swap out to test quickly. This kind of troubleshooting is tedious but best if you just start at the battery and go step by step away from it.
Old 03-12-2023, 10:48 PM
SVAustin
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RufCTR2
Just reading back thru -- seems like the root cause is the ignition not powering on, correct? Durametric is probably fine, its just waiting on the ignition. Does he by chance have the auxiliary battery installed? Check for that, in the event there are two batteries, only changing the drivers seat one isn't always enough. Also check the main relay on the power panel under the drivers seat - on the power distribution panel. Also there are 2 fuses I think on there with the relay. Can't miss the relay - one single black cube with "433" or similar printed. It should audibly click if your ear is close enough. If you don't know how to test it with a multimeter, I believe it is identical to the starter relay in the relay panel under the hood on. Verify it's the identical part and swap out to test quickly. This kind of troubleshooting is tedious but best if you just start at the battery and go step by step away from it.

Thanks man, definitely going to give this is a shot I'll get back to you quickly on the outcome.
Old 05-08-2023, 02:01 PM
mogly
5th Gear

Originally Posted by RT_955TT_KY
A few more photos of the assembly

My plastic arm im flex mode. Not good.
Close up of the relays
Board reinstalled in housing with position arm at full extension
Diagrams. Lock has three wires. CAN high, CAN low, and data. The high and low are the source power for the 12v motor, low current here can cause problems.
Straight on shot of the hall effect sensors. No cheap microswitches like VW.
Pic of the backside of the board prior to removal
Dear RT_955TT_KY:
just wondering if you can share one picture of the backside of the board prior to removal? due Im looking the IC number of one IC that I damaged at the time to removal the cover ...

Old 05-08-2023, 02:02 PM
mogly
5th Gear

Any help is appreciated! thanks
Old 05-08-2023, 02:09 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

@mogly

Last edited by VulcanGrey; 05-08-2023 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-08-2023, 03:41 PM
mogly
5th Gear

Sorry VulcanGrey I dont see any picture... again Im looking the IC number of small IC of 6 legs that I damaged when I remove the cover of the module...
Old 05-08-2023, 03:45 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

@mogly look again, I re-uploaded the images
Old 05-08-2023, 03:54 PM
mogly
5th Gear

I saw now!! thank you very much! then try to get this component now that said 1ps ? wish me luck !!
Old 05-08-2023, 08:43 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Originally Posted by mogly
I saw now!! thank you very much! then try to get this component now that said 1ps ? wish me luck !!
I think it's probably this part
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...z9dl537w%3D%3D

All the other 1PS or 1P5 marked parts I found did not have 6 pins.

Last edited by VulcanGrey; 05-08-2023 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-09-2023, 05:41 PM
mogly
5th Gear

Thank you very much! VulcanGrey I will try to get one from Ebay now

Thanks again
Old 09-01-2023, 06:58 AM
rrelande
4th Gear

Originally Posted by villemus
Car is finally fixed, after a long chat with Tom from speedo solutions~

Turns out it wasn't the issue with the ELV, well now it's on emulator, I guess one future issue resolved in advance.

for MY08 Cayenne with proximity keys, this particular issue lies within the KESSY module where it goes out of sycn with the ELV, NO ERROR on dash and scanner will show 0288 steering column lock error, but if you have a ross tech cable it will call out - 00288 - Steering Column Lock Actuator (N360): Implausible signal. according to Tom, this usually happens to MY08 Cayenne that has proximity key with a particular serial KESSY. Now the usual fix is power cycle the car or simply remove the fuse for KESSY for 30mins, this will allows the 2 modules to resync properly. However it didn't work for me the first time. My gut feel is it has something to do with the proximity key in pocket which triggers the KESSY to ELV check too early and not allowing it to resync ~ (just guessing here)

I end up doing the following, a lot of the steps are useless i think, but I want to cut out some variables to avoid needing to go through the cycle again.

ELV is removed from car at this point

1. Remove kessy fuse (41 - Right side) / power out for 1hr
2. Plug ELV in socket and leave door open (I notice that every time door is opened, it triggers Kessy to talk to ELV when I had the ELV unplugged and shows error on dash)
3. Put fuse 41 back in
4. Try start car with dummy key, with proximity key away from car, at this point it’s showing no key found
5. Bring proximity key and try start car with dummy key, still doesn’t work
6. Remove dummy key and try start car with real key, it works from this point

I really hope this will help some people out there, also thank you Ben and the rest of the forum who posted their steps trouble shoots etc
Thanks a lot for the explanation. this is very valuable in trying to find the root cause for dreadful issue.

My 08 Cayenne is still stuck and the symptoms are very similar:
- ELV replaced by N360 emulator. First one lasted 2 month, second one 18 month.
- Uses keyless entry system
- scanner displays fault 288. it can be cleared but reappears immediately.

Maybe one interesting difference is that my cayenne displays on dash the 'steering faulty'. I understand your lucky car DID NOT display the steering faulty error with 3 beeps?
also a minor difference that could puzzle some users: your fuse 41 is on the right as you are in AU and steering wheel on right side, my fuse 41 is on left side as steering wheel on left side.

I've tried the above valuable solution with all the combinations of removing fuse, disconnecting and reconnecting ELV after waiting 30 min, pressing brake, hazard and pass light.
unfortunately no success.

Since the wiring harness is dry and I don't see any other reason for fault, we will now try the Kessy replacement.
Still hope that could find someone with a piwix to read the actual code to find the actual root cause.

Quick Reply: Faulty Steering code