Notices

Need tips on tube heating and bending

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 03:45 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need tips on tube heating and bending

My 964 has a 993tt engine. The guy who did the transplant placed a hose that started leaking. The hose goes to the oil tank. I just purchased all the hard pipe/tubes in this area but of course don't fit exactly like they should. I need to heat the tubes and massage them to get it right.

Anybody have any general tips on how to do this? How much heat? anything to watchout out for, I know I don't want to kink it and reduce diameter. How should I proceed?

thanx in advance
Old 11-17-2012, 02:21 PM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything matters, how thick is the wall of the tubing, tube diameter, Stainless, aluminum, mild steel?

Massage is the correct word. You are on the right track. Just go slow
Old 11-30-2012, 01:56 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Tubing bender tool?
Old 12-19-2012, 10:05 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 268 Likes on 172 Posts

Are you talking about minor tweaking of the tubes (i.e. a few degrees of bend) or more significant than that? Whether you heat or not, make sure you use a proper tubing bender to bend the tubes, or you might kink them, which would restrict fluid flow (bad for your engine).

Heating can help, but for minor bends it might be more trouble than it's worth. If you do elect to heat, make sure the tubes are clean, including inside. You don't want to cook oil or whatever else is in there and leave solid debris that might wind up in your engine oil. It can easily damage your engine.

Scott

Quick Reply: Need tips on tube heating and bending