Notices

914 Engine Mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2001, 08:13 AM
Ralf Hartmann
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 914 Engine Mods

Ok - lets see how much traffic we can build with this topic. The subject is 914/4 engine modifications to produce more Horsepower, but yet to retain the original fuel injection. Who has experience with doing this? What is the HP limit under those circumstances. What mods are needed? What about those "EURO" pistons? Are there preferred manufactures of pistons that are better than others?
Old 06-05-2001, 11:38 PM
Super Space Monkey
Intermediate

Depends on the what you have 1.7 1.8 2.0? I think the best person to contact about this is Rich Bontempi at High Performance House (650) 364-6234. He really know his stuff, and since he's in California know how to get some power w/stock injection.
Old 06-06-2001, 06:44 AM
Ralf Hartmann
3rd Gear

Talking

Jon - thanks for the info. My problem is that here on the East Coast we don't have that many engine shops that deal with the 914 engine. There are a few, but since I live in Plattsburgh, 60 miles south of Montreal, Canada where ever I need to go to, is at least a 6 hour drive. BTW - I have a 2.0 engine. Maybe there will be some other people out there that see these posts and can advise.-
Old 06-07-2001, 12:46 AM
Super Space Monkey
Intermediate

Ralph don't really know who to go to on the east coast hopefully someone else will. The 2.0 is the best engine to start with so your starting out right. I sold my 74 2.0 about 7 years ago so my memory might be a bit rusty in regards to the following but here goes. Seems to me the trick setup is: Euro pistons balanced, balanced rods (maybe Carrillo not sure), lightened and balanced crank, light flywheel, mild cam that still works with the injection, true headers (but you will lose your heater), and a glasspack or supertrapp muffler system. Honestly I can't remember what hp this put out sorry. But Rich had a car for his wife with this setup and the car was fast and the engine was incredibly smooth. Sounded good as well. Down side is it won't be cheap.

Good Luck, and have fun.

Jon
Old 06-09-2001, 05:18 AM
George Helser
Instructor

Ralf,

I was able to use the stock fuel injection while increasing displacement of my 71 914-1.7 to 1.9 liters by adding a resistor to the cylinder head temp sensor to increase the fuel mixture.

For whatever this is worth!

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona
Old 06-26-2001, 10:42 PM
Ed Villela
2nd Gear

Wink

Ralph, put a turbo on it, it worked for me.

Ed
Old 07-16-2001, 02:24 PM
JGriff
Racer

There is a turbo kit available for 914s? Or did you fab one yourself? I have a 1973 2.0. Who? What? Where? Inquiring minds want to know!! :-)

Thanks.

Jim

Originally posted by Ed Villela:
<STRONG>Ralph, put a turbo on it, it worked for me.

Ed</STRONG>

Quick Reply: 914 Engine Mods