Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Performance Modifications Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/performance-modifications-forum-66/)
-   -   914 Engine Mods (https://rennlist.com/forums/performance-modifications-forum/33988-914-engine-mods.html)

Ralf Hartmann 05-31-2001 08:13 AM

914 Engine Mods

Ok - lets see how much traffic we can build with this topic. The subject is 914/4 engine modifications to produce more Horsepower, but yet to retain the original fuel injection. Who has experience with doing this? What is the HP limit under those circumstances. What mods are needed? What about those "EURO" pistons? Are there preferred manufactures of pistons that are better than others?

Super Space Monkey 06-05-2001 11:38 PM

Depends on the what you have 1.7 1.8 2.0? I think the best person to contact about this is Rich Bontempi at High Performance House (650) 364-6234. He really know his stuff, and since he's in California know how to get some power w/stock injection.

Ralf Hartmann 06-06-2001 06:44 AM

Jon - thanks for the info. My problem is that here on the East Coast we don't have that many engine shops that deal with the 914 engine. There are a few, but since I live in Plattsburgh, 60 miles south of Montreal, Canada where ever I need to go to, is at least a 6 hour drive. BTW - I have a 2.0 engine. Maybe there will be some other people out there that see these posts and can advise.- :)

Super Space Monkey 06-07-2001 12:46 AM

Ralph don't really know who to go to on the east coast hopefully someone else will. The 2.0 is the best engine to start with so your starting out right. I sold my 74 2.0 about 7 years ago so my memory might be a bit rusty in regards to the following but here goes. Seems to me the trick setup is: Euro pistons balanced, balanced rods (maybe Carrillo not sure), lightened and balanced crank, light flywheel, mild cam that still works with the injection, true headers (but you will lose your heater), and a glasspack or supertrapp muffler system. Honestly I can't remember what hp this put out sorry. But Rich had a car for his wife with this setup and the car was fast and the engine was incredibly smooth. Sounded good as well. Down side is it won't be cheap.

Good Luck, and have fun.

Jon

George Helser 06-09-2001 05:18 AM

Ralf,

I was able to use the stock fuel injection while increasing displacement of my 71 914-1.7 to 1.9 liters by adding a resistor to the cylinder head temp sensor to increase the fuel mixture.

For whatever this is worth!

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona

Ed Villela 06-26-2001 10:42 PM

Ralph, put a turbo on it, it worked for me.

Ed

JGriff 07-16-2001 02:24 PM

There is a turbo kit available for 914s? Or did you fab one yourself? I have a 1973 2.0. Who? What? Where? Inquiring minds want to know!! :-)

Thanks.

Jim

Originally posted by Ed Villela:
<STRONG>Ralph, put a turbo on it, it worked for me.

Ed</STRONG>