Notices

K&N Air Filter?

Old 07-16-2001, 08:56 PM
SonyGuy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool K&N Air Filter?

I was reading a Porsche related product catologue and I saw an advertisement for K&N Air Filters. According to K&N, you can get an 80% increase of airflowover your stock air filter on your 944. I own an '84 944. Does this sound realistic? If so, how does this relate in terms of horsepower?

SonyGuy
Old 07-17-2001, 03:38 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Can o' worms, eh?

Well, I use one and love it! (86 944na) The key to K&N is to keep the filter clean and oiled properly (not too much or too little). A clean and properly oiled K&N will outperform the stock paper filter... but, a dirty K&N will cut air more than a dirty air filter. Also, if not oiled properly, it can suck through more particulate than a paper filter. So, conditions have to be right for the K&N to perform better than OE type paper elements.

BTW, the flow increase for the 944 element is not 80% more when using the flat filter in the box. You'd have to modify the box (cut the top off) or, use a cone to get that sort of improvement. More like 40% apples-to-apples. If you open the airbox or use the cone, then you'll have to worry about getting fresh, cool air to it.

Here's an example of my 86 944 with a modified airbox (picture is old and does not include the fresh air ducting from the lower grill):

You can read more about it here: 944 Airbox Mod

Good Luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: K&N Air Filter?