Notices

915 Trans LSD

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2002, 12:51 AM
Jim Florance
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post 915 Trans LSD

Hello, I am in the process of having a close ratio 915 Transmission built for my '70 911T. I would like to put in an LSD in while the motor and trans are out of the car. I have also had a 2.9L (2.4 Case) built for the car. I stretched myself pretty thin financially on the motor and trans and am trying to find out more about used and / or rebuilt LSD's as an option to a new one. I have just started looking for this item, and have not had a lot of luck finding used/rebuilt LSD's. Any advice on OEM or Aftermarket LSD's? What are the pitfalls of buying Used / Rebuilt ones and where can I locate one? The motor Dyno's at nearly 300hp at the crank, I went with a 915 gearbox instead of re-building my 901 because of horse power concerns and want to make sure that any LSD will not be taxed by the motor. Performance is the goal with this project, but not at the expense of reliability. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 10-05-2002, 03:52 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi Jim:

Use a Factory ZF LSD or the Guard Transmission ZF-type one.

Stay away from the Quaife or Torque-sensing kind if you are going to use this car on the track at all.

It isn't cheap, but you only do this once.
Old 10-05-2002, 11:50 PM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Jim:

I found a good OEM (ZF clutch type) 915 LSD from a later ('86)Carrera here in the Rennlist classifieds for my 915 rebuild. Only thing to consider is if the LSD has the fine spline output, you will need fine spline stub axles.

As I needed some for my 915 as I went to the LSD, I found some at a recycler, but it took two or three calls to find the stubs truly in stock...

Have fun. Sounds like a "beast" in the making.

Regards

Jim Morton
Old 10-12-2002, 11:11 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
I have a 915 tranny that came with my 914. It has never been in the car. I was told it was rebuilt by Velios but wasn't given any specs. How can I tell if it has an LSD or not? Friends have said to try turning one side and holding the other solid. If they both want to turn to same way you have an LSD. But I thought that if it was a clutch style of LSD it would need a lot more to engage the LSD. So is there a test I can do without opening the case?

Quick Reply: 915 Trans LSD