Notices

To those who doubt v8s in 911s...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 08:41 AM
j959
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post To those who doubt v8s in 911s...

i just came across a website, gives 911 turbo engine weights....

3.3L=230kgs (500lbs???)

and the later year engines only get heavier.....

providing you use an aluminium late model v8 engine, it will actually be lighter, produce more torque....lexus v8=175kgs, LS-1 about 190kgs...

still, i guess this option isnt for everyone....
Old 08-19-2002, 10:30 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Putting a V8 in the back of a 911 is like f**king a sheep. Yeah it works ok (apparently) but it is just plain wrong.

Again, good luck with your project. Please send us some pictures.
Old 08-19-2002, 01:29 PM
246Dino
7th Gear

I'm with you on that Christer! Personally, I'm not too fond of v8's in 911's. While I considered a v8 swap for my 914, I suddenly realize "Hey, I love Porsche! Why don't I just keep it Porsche?". I'm going for a 3.0sc or 3.2 w/ DME swap. Now, I wouldn't mind owning a v8 914 or 911 BUT, if I owned one I would also make sure to buy another and keep a Porsche engine in it (more out of respect for the Porsche name). To each his own.
Old 08-20-2002, 10:21 AM
j959
Instructor

sure many 911 owners consider having anything else than a 911 engine in a 911 a crime, i was just pointing out that purely in terms of performance it is a good option....
Old 08-20-2002, 11:03 AM
Christer
Race Car

Wink

pics please....
Old 08-20-2002, 12:18 PM
j959
Instructor

George V8, i'm interested in going the same way with my car as your've gone with yours,

the only problem i have is the age and weight of the chevy 8 (same prob i have with the 3.3 turbo)...

i would've prefered a lexus v8 or an LS-1 (they're lighter, much more modern, and as powerful as a 3.3 turbo)

but was told that they won't fit (the lexus at all, and the LS1 without major hassles...)

i was wondering what chevy smallblcok do you use, roughly how much it weighs, any problems you encountered getting it in there and if there is any room at all left for a sc (i'm guessing there's not)

thanks
Old 08-22-2002, 09:33 AM
A Quiet Boom
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Came across this website a while back. My Brother in law has a TVR 2500M that had a Triumph six in it from the factory. He's restoring the car for street fun and wanted to modify the six. However he told me that some TVR's were available with 289 small-block Fords but he didn't what one in his car because it was to heavy. Having helped him remove the six I knew he was wrong so I did a little search and found this <a href="http://britishv8.org/swaps/motors.htm" target="_blank">http://britishv8.org/swaps/motors.htm</a>

Now of course their was never such a thing as a TVR motor or even a Pantera or Cobra motor in reality these where all vehicles put together by businessmen wanting to provide high HP sportscars and they used existing motors from Ford to do it. Whatever the case, I'd never put anyting but a Ford V8 into an AC Cobra because the car has a well respected racing history with that engine just like the 911 and it's deriviatives have had a well respected career with Porsche's own H-6. The reason so many people get upset at the idea of anything besides the Porsche H-6 in a 911 is because in a way it's an insult to the heritage of these cars. As much as I respect the American V8, especially Ford V8's, I'd never put one in a 911 because of this heritage, to me a 911 with anything but a 911 type engine is no longer a Porsche. I built smallblock Fords back in the days when it cost twice as much as a Chevy V8 to build because the phrase "Powered by Ford" had a deep meaning to me and my Ford hotrods and dragcars HAD to be Ford Powered. Well for the same reason my Porsches will be Porsche powered, regardless of weight, performance, or price. I bought a Porsche because I love them, why would I want it to be anything but a Porsche? If I wanted to built a high HP V8 powered supercar I'd start with something like a Pantera or Cobra or completely build the car from scratch. In the end I don't care what other people put into their Porsches for power, just don't expect me or others to accept it as a Porsche. I respect George V8's car for what it is, a mostly handbuilt supercar hot rod, but not as a Porsche.
Old 08-26-2002, 10:27 PM
911pcars
Racer

While I mostly agree with A Quiet Boom's opinion on engine swapping, for some reason I would find it more palatible if the swap involves changing it from a rear engine to a mid engine project. Maybe it's the sheer engineering talent and fabrication skills it would take to make it work that makes it more acceptable. Sorry.

Gunnar Racing created a mid-engine "911" for IMSA racing a few years ago. Looked like a 911; mainly a tube frame race car with a 962 engine and running gear. Fabcar built a mid-engine GTS-2.

Yep, they're in B. Anderson's book, page 253.

Sherwood Lee
<a href="http://members.rennlist.org/911pcars" target="_blank">http://members.rennlist.org/911pcars</a>
Old 08-27-2002, 03:32 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At the risk of encouraging this kid, I'll tell the story of a car a friend of mine built in the 70's. It was an old thrashed 912 that he had built into a mid-engined car powered by an Oldsmobile 421 cubic inch v8. It was the front-wheel-drive drivetrain from an Oldsmobile Toronado. He reversed the ring and pinion (because the engine faced the opposite direction from the Toronado) and put 2 turbos on it. Big fiberglass RSR flares to cover huge tires. It could lift the front wheels off the ground from a roll when he stood on it. It was so uncontrollable he eventually took the turbos off.
Old 08-28-2002, 07:20 PM
CamB
Instructor

More modern TVRs use a heavily tuned Rover V8 - a light ally engine. They somehow get it out to about 5 litres and 350 ish hp.

They interesting part is that the engine started life as an Olds something-or-rather in the 50s.

Range Rovers use a derivative of the engine as well.
Old 08-28-2002, 10:49 PM
911pcars
Racer

Cam,
It was the Buick/Olds aluminum V-8 from the early sixties. Used on a lot of prototype race cars of the era including Lance Reventlow's Scarab. Buick sold the license to Rover to manufacture for their cars, I guess with much success. There were (are?) a lot of go-fast parts made for this engine.

Sherwood Lee
<a href="http://members.rennlist.org/911pcars" target="_blank">http://members.rennlist.org/911pcars</a>
Old 08-28-2002, 11:51 PM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

Cam

You`re correst TVR and Range Rover did use the Buick V8 with great success but they have been superceeded in both cases - TVR now have their own range of hugely powerful 8`s and 6`s - unfortunatly reliability is a major issue though
Old 08-29-2002, 04:59 AM
CamB
Instructor

I knew about the new 6s (mid 300s hp from 4l IIRC). I didn't realise they had a new 8 too.

My almost entire experience on the "old" V8 is from reading stuff plus a number of visits to the shop which put the roll cage and some other stuff in my BMW '02.

The guy there has a thing for the Rover V8 (in particular, he has installed one in a Lotus Elite for a customer, part installed one in an Europa(!) for a customer, and maintains/codrives/drives a TR7 race car).

I got driven in the race (actually tarmac rally) car - 300hp, RWD, a virtually locked diff and 2 metre wheelbase being hammered through a rallysprint course scared the crap oughta me .
Old 08-29-2002, 05:22 PM
Dave Banazek
Advanced

I was just SCCA road racing with a fellow with a 400cu in chevy in his 914. As one observer remarked it was very "agricultural", complete with cast iron cooling fittings. He ran the fastest lap times of the weekend, beating a T1 class corvette, a 993 race car and various lesser Porsche and BMWs. He goes pretty slow around the corners but leaves everyone behind as soon as the straight is in sight. The only guy who beats him around hear has a cup car. Of course he is in the run what you brung regional only SP class. Its not my cup of tea but from a speed per dollar point of view it is the way to go.
Old 09-05-2002, 08:29 AM
Carlos
Banned

Christer, I heard that you English guys had a thing with sheep. J forget the lexus, too wide, too few parts. As for the ls1, if it was better than the standard small block, Jeff Gordon would have one.

Quick Reply: To those who doubt v8s in 911s...