Nitrous Injection

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2001, 05:13 PM
UK Bill 944 S2
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Nitrous Injection

Good evening folks
I've not long ago bought a 944S2 which is very pleasing but could do with a little more get up and go... I want to use it for track days and was thinking of Nitrous Oxide injection but there seems to be little discussion on the subject... The method I'm looking at is to only "inject" when the throttle is fully open. Has anyone ever tried this ? Some advice please if you have.
Thanks
Old 10-23-2001, 07:15 PM
Jim Nowak
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bill,

Injecting at wide open throttle is the preferred method of using NOS. Most applications use a button that is mounted to the firewall. When the nitrous is activated, usually by a separate switch, and at full throttle the accelerator pedal actuates the button and nitrous is injected. You will need to run fuel to be injected with your nitrous. I think Nitrous Oxide Systems has a kit for your application.
http://www.nosnitrous.com/HiOctn/Pro...S/imports.html

Jim Nowak
Old 10-24-2001, 06:51 PM
UK Bill 944 S2
8th Gear

Jim
Thanks very much. I have looked at the Holly NOS Systems on the web and the system I'm thinking of going for is the same. I guess my real problem is that I don't know what it will FEEL like... I'm told that a 25bhp increase is dramatic with NOS as it increases the power right the way through the range. I've also got some concerns about how much NOS is used... I believe I can get about 26 minutes of "activation" for $150 of NOS. I'm happy to pay this for a Track Day but don't know if it's enough (I think it may be given a typical track day gets you on track for about 2.5 hours and the system is only delivering NOS when my foot is flat to the floor). Sorry guys, I know my lack of experience is showing here but can anyone who has actually driven a NOS assisted car give me some guidance here.
Many thanks
UK Bill
Old 10-24-2001, 10:28 PM
Chris Bennet
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bill,
I'd hold of on the engine mods until you've got a few (some?) tracks days under your belt. The 944S2 is a great track car.
-Chris
Old 10-25-2001, 12:33 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had an NOS kit on my Supra and I would say that it's fine for drag-racing, but for track usage, it won't help you much. That's because of its all ON or OFF nature, nothing in between. But there are progressive controllers on the market now that will make the transistion more natural.

You should definitely read up on Doug's NOS adventures on http://www.nsxfiles.com/stories.htm, specifically Chapter-69.

If you've got a 20-lb bottle, that will give you about 2-3 minutes of full-throttle NOS usage. At the track, that is about 5 laps.

So I agree with Chris, enjoy your car as much as you can by getting more track time in. If you want something with more speed and power, I'd buy a car that has those specs to begin with in stock trim. Much, much, much cheaper and more reliable in the long run.
Old 10-25-2001, 05:55 PM
UK Bill 944 S2
8th Gear

Thanks very much for all the input guys.. I'll give it some thought and get a few days on the track with it before going too far.. I do intend to stiffen the suspension a bit before doing anything else but your input has helped me to decide at least to delay a while befor edoing anything too dramatic. I've also got some more research to do based on your input.. The sales guys told me the power uolift was smooth and that I'd get about 25 mins from 20lb. Once again thanks and good luck.
Bill
Old 10-27-2001, 03:08 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

has anyone ever put Nos on a 964?
Old 10-27-2001, 02:50 PM
Minh Pho
Advanced

or a 951?
Old 11-03-2001, 06:21 PM
adie
Pro

I use gas all the time, wouldn't recomend it on the track though, if you want to discuss more I'm in the Heathrow area.
Old 11-06-2001, 09:43 PM
QuikStuf993
Intermediate

Here's what I have learned.....

First upgrade.....Tires
Second upgrade.....Brakes
Third upgrade....Suspension
Fourth upgrade....Your Ability

LAST UPGRADE.....ENGINE/POWER

IE....don't bother with more power till you have a way to use it and you know how to use it.
Old 11-07-2001, 05:23 PM
ThE sPaCeCoWbOy
Burning Brakes

im hoping within a few months, i'll have nitrous in my 944....right now im gathering some parts up to redo it...

i have 944 turbo s pistons, new rings, gaskests, forged rods, clutch, 944s2 tranny, etc....im going to replace to run a supercharger then im going to add about a 75-100 shot of nitrous to it...that should give it some go....
Old 11-08-2001, 10:57 PM
Tye
Instructor

Bill,

I'm afraid that I'll have to agree with QuikStuf993, except that I would say upgrade your ability first. Did my first Drivers Ed last month and discovered that I'm not the great driver that I thought I was.

If you've not done any DEs, then you are the weakest link!

$.02

Tye
89 S2
Yellow Koni's, LSD

Quick Reply: Nitrous Injection