Notices

New RennList member intro. -- Supercharged 964 C4

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 12:56 AM
SuperCarrera
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile New RennList member intro. -- Supercharged 964 C4

Greetings -- I have enjoyed reading the posts on this forum for a little while now and finally decided to join in. I've got a good start on my car but am still planning a lot of additional work and so would like to introduce myself to this forum.

My 1989 964 is my first Porsche -- owning a 911 has been a life-long dream/goal of mine and I decided to "get serious" about it here recently. Unfortunately, "getting serious" can be a dangerous thing as I tend to totally lock in on my objective and often "over-indulge" (translation -- over-spend!).

This project was no exception -- I had always (thought I) wanted a Porsche 930 or 911 Carrera and so started my internet research, reading, and contacts with numerous Porsche people.

To make this first intro. post as short as possible, I'll be brief here. I ended up going in a direction I never expected when, after hearing as many people tell me to get a 911 Turbo as those who said not to, and finding that the most consistent piece of advice I kept hearing was to buy the most recent Porsche I could afford, I found a very nice 1989 964 for....$12,000!

It gets much "worse" -- I saw a post on the 964 forum about how much each person spent on their car each year and so my "disclosure" figure for 2001 is.......about $22,000 in additional work/upgrades.

The main component is an intercooled Whipple supercharger and the related engine work and modifications needed for this system. I know this goes "against the grain" in regard to most traditional Porsche performance experts but it was actually Bruce Anderson that convinced me to investigate this system thoroughly based on his very complimentary article in his "911 Performance Handbook". As my main objective was/is "awesome" throttle response, this no-lag system on an AWD 911 made sense to me.

Anyhow, my 964 now has the potential for 993/996 twin-turbo performance at way below the cost for one of these newer models (and I had always wanted a traditional 911 so the 964 is, to me, a neat blend of the old and the new).

I still have a TON to learn and hope/plan to continue to benefit from this discussion forum -- I'll stop here (remember, this is the "short" version!) but will be glad to post details or answer any questions about my car for any who may be interested.

My (first) question is this -- I could really use some input on exhaust sound preferences. I bought my system "sight unseen" and it is just a bit too loud for comfortable neighborhood/parking lot driving. I have the stock exhaust manifold, a Fabspeed cat-bypass pipe and a single Bassani muffler. I'm considering either a high-performance cat or possibly a very small additional "turbo" style muffler to buffer the noise just a bit (my current Bassani is not very big so there is room along the rear bumper for another small exhaust component)...Thanks
Old 01-12-2002, 12:01 AM
KASH '95 993
Racer

Sounds like a great machine. I'm currently looking at the Supercharger kit offered by TPC for my 993. However, their kit don't include an intercooler. Where did you purchased you system and how much? What kind of HP gains do they claim and did you installed it yourself. lastly, is this system available for the 95 993 (non-varioram)? Thanks,

Ken
Old 01-16-2002, 12:38 AM
SuperCarrera
Advanced

Ken,

Sorry for the delay in response (I just learned what a varioram was this past Sunday!).

As the intake is removed and replaced with this system, I would assume it wouldn't matter which type you have.

My system is the twin-screw Whipple supercharger from Superchargers of Knoxville in Knoxville, Tennessee (this is a unit made by the Opcon Autorotor company in Sweden). It is more expensive than the TPC system (I just met up with a 993 owner who has the TPC set-up to compare systems) and is a much more involved installation (it requires a top-end rebuild of the motor; so I would think you would have to be fairly advanced in your mechanical skills to take on the project yourself).

The rebuild is done to lower the compression ratio in order to better handle the boost and there are other upgrades done, as well (such as Raceware studs and bolts, K & N intake, programmable engine management system, etc.). Mine currently runs at 9 psi boost.

They offer both a large and a small intercooler as well as a Paxton kit which doesn't develop as much horsepower. The large intercooler Whipple system I have costs $13,500, plus about $4,500 for the install and motor work. On the street, this system should be able to realisticly achieve about 425 HP and in full race set-up it reaches nearly 470 H.P. (since mine is AWD, I haven't had it dynoed yet as an AWD dyno is hard to find and the front drive shaft doesn't remove easily from the '89 964 in order to utilize a standard dyno)

Hope this helps -- please let me know if I can offer any further input. I'm really just learning about the system now as I've just started driving it and I haven't even had it on any track, autocross course, etc., yet. From what I've seen so far, both superchargers offer a lot of "fun-factor" for much improved power for everyday driving on the street. If you plan on running any track events, I would think an intercooler would be absolutely mandatory and then the issue of how increased boost affects a stock Porsche motor's longevity may become a more significant factor, as well.
Old 01-16-2002, 08:24 AM
djk
3rd Gear

tim, i have 1991 3.8 liter whipple 964 4 wd. after running track events for years the motor let go at the track recently. i have a lot of info for you, particularly about the knoxville work. look me up.
Old 01-16-2002, 12:37 PM
DJ
Haiku Grasshoppa
Rennlist Member
Can I Drove Your Car?

Hey djk,

Instead of giving out that info privately, could you post it here? I've been considering the SoK system for a while, and would love to get first-hand info. If you'd rather not post it publicly, could you CC: me on the e-mails?

Thanks.
Old 01-24-2002, 04:59 PM
pbs911
Instructor

djk
I am also interested in the whipplecharger and its effects. I am currently debating on whether to go with a 3.6 transplnat or 3.2 with whipplecharger. Any imput is appreciated. You can email me at
pbs911@msn.com

Thanks.
Old 01-24-2002, 06:26 PM
SuperCarrera
Advanced

This is a very good web site with additional 3.6 conversion links.

3.6 conversion in a 1977 911S (cost, horsepower, HP/weight ratio, etc.)

Interestingly enough, his cost for converting to the 3.6 was almost exactly what it cost me to intstall the Whipple system on my 3.6 (approximately $22,000 total including top-end rebuild and other mods)

I'm not sure off the top of my head what horsepower the 3.2 Whipple system produces, but my 3.6 is probably around 375 H.P. right now and if I install headers, upgraded mass air sensor, and larger injectors, it has the potential to reach around 400-425 H.P. in a street application. With my car currently weighing in at about 3,100 pounds, my power to weight ratio is about 8.3:1. If I make the above modifications to the motor and do some weight reduction (body panels and seats, eliminate sunroof), I could possibly get it down to about 6.6:1.
Old 01-26-2002, 01:35 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by djk:
<strong>tim, i have 1991 3.8 liter whipple 964 4 wd. after running track events for years the motor let go at the track recently. i have a lot of info for you, particularly about the knoxville work. look me up.</strong><hr></blockquote>

djk, I'd also like to learn whatever you've got to pass along...

thanks,

RNH

Quick Reply: New RennList member intro. -- Supercharged 964 C4