Notices

23 mm Master Cylindar upgrade???

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2002, 12:06 PM
magistro
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 23 mm Master Cylindar upgrade???

I'm in the process of upgrading my master cylindar to a 23mm of M-Benz type in my 914 race car (Boxster Calipers front & rear). It appears that the actuating rod at the brake pedal is approximately 20mm short. Does this rod/plunger have this much adjustment? If not, has anybody come up with fix to make new larger master cyl. work??? Thank you.
Old 01-13-2002, 01:37 PM
addictionms
Instructor

I just did this and the only solution I could find was to weld an extenaion on the existing rod/plunger.

Since I have a welder, I see welding as the solution to most problems :-)

Jim
Old 01-16-2002, 09:07 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts
I solved this problem once by using one of the long studs that are used on a 911 crankcase to retain the cylinders. The thread is perfect for the pedal cluster, you cut it to the length you want in the central unthreaded portion of the stud then file the tip to a radius that fits in the M/C.
Old 01-25-2002, 02:07 PM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
magistro - I am interested in this:

I've converted to S4 calipers on the front of my '86 951, and am not thrilled with the pedal feel - I believe I've really increased the fluid volume required to actuate the pistons in the front brakes. I am still on stock MC.

How do I know if the stock MC is optimal for this setup? I'm sure there is a formula or ratio for this situation, right? Where do I find accurate info on the volume of the new calipers, and that of the stock MC? How did you know a Benz MC would work in your application? etc., etc.?

TIA
Old 01-25-2002, 09:09 PM
magistro
Advanced

Originally posted by keith:
<STRONG>magistro - I am interested in this:

I've converted to S4 calipers on the front of my '86 951, and am not thrilled with the pedal feel - I believe I've really increased the fluid volume required to actuate the pistons in the front brakes. I am still on stock MC.

How do I know if the stock MC is optimal for this setup? I'm sure there is a formula or ratio for this situation, right? Where do I find accurate info on the volume of the new calipers, and that of the stock MC? How did you know a Benz MC would work in your application? etc., etc.?

TIA</STRONG>
Check this out:http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/914_BMW_calipers/brake_calc2.htm
Old 01-28-2002, 02:22 PM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks - that should get me started!

Quick Reply: 23 mm Master Cylindar upgrade???