Notices

Looking for muffler suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006 | 10:58 PM
bruinbro
Pro

Default Looking for muffler suggestions

The somewhat long history is this:

Took my muffler off of my 2000 S to dump a significant chunk of weight from the rear of the car. The straight pipes from the main cats saved an estimated 25 lb from the stock muffler (OEM muffler- pipe weight, tip weight and hangar strap weight). The sound at WOT is definitely pulse raising, but the overall level and the resonance in particular is impossible to live with on trips of more than 10-20 miles. Another problem is that the DME will have to be re-mapped to make it run right due to the loss of back pressure, which I don't want to do until I get my other motor built.

A poster on another board graciously let me ride in his 2001 S with the Borla muffler, which toned things down from the straight pipe sound but not enough. It is one of the lighter weight muffler solutions, which is what I am looking for. I understand the GHL is similar from the conversation I had with him and threads and EM's with members of this board and other boards.

Comments about the Dansk sausage and pressed mufflers lead me to believe the sound level and resonance supression would be adequate, but the weight savings would be minimal and there is some debate as to the sausage quality.

The various versions of the OEM muffler (stock and PSE) are too heavy for consideration, although if I could figure out a simple, quick mounting method I could use one of these and swap for something else on the track. It should be mentioned that I definitely noticed the handling difference between the OEM muffler and no muffler.

The last thing to mention is that I just bought some 100 cell cats and plan on getting headers, which will increase the sound level significantly all by themselves.

Bottom line is I need a muffler for back pressure and protection of what is left of my hearing. Am I stuck with the OEM boat anchors or is there another solution that I'm missing?

Thanks to those that read the whole littany,

Bro
Old 05-04-2006 | 11:15 PM
Crunky
Pro

You can try some straight throughs, but they wouldn't be much quieter than no mufflers, plus it might soung kinda ricer

Or, maybe you could put a couple spark arrestors on the end of each pipe, maybe a cheap and easy solution to noise reduction and back pressure. Maybe.
Old 05-17-2006 | 10:32 PM
PORobinSCHE
Racer

look at the Flowmaster Series 60 . made for 4 and 6 cylinder motors. that's going to be my next change
Old 05-18-2006 | 05:17 PM
texrad
3rd Gear

Default schnell has a new flat muffler

only $650 for Schnell
it looks like the OEM muffler
but i dont know anyone who has tried it ir reviewed it.

I like My GHL, it smooths out a bit after you get mileage on it.
Old 05-18-2006 | 11:02 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just put a set of Cargraphics on my GT3. They bark very nicely at start-up and idle, and sound just wonderfully as the GT3 screams from 6000 rpm to redline. Cruising, I get no drone at all, in fact, I think they're quieter than OE at cruise. Saved about 30# total.
Old 05-26-2006 | 03:15 AM
bruinbro
Pro

Thanks for all of the replies, they are all very much appreciated.

Bro
Old 06-16-2006 | 02:33 PM
RodVertex
Former Vendor

Hi Guys, Just want all of you to know this "Andrew Guevara" is a disgruntled ex-employee who was stealing parts from VertexAuto over the term of 18 months (that we know of). Coincidently after a 6 month investigation he is now being prosicuted and was arrested and thrown in jail yesterday.

This is his way to retaliate. He thinks this type of tactic will work for him, unfortunately he is wrong. He also figued it would be a good idea to call our customers directly, who are now willing to testify against him, and admitted to them that he stole $60k from us!? What is this world coming to? He is a criminal And I think all you can tell by all the different post

If anyone has any questions please feel free to call me toll free at 866-668-0660

Thanks for your understanding,
Mike
Old 06-16-2006 | 02:37 PM
bruinbro
Pro

Originally Posted by VertexAuto
Hi Guys, Just want all of you to know this "Andrew Guevara" is a disgruntled ex-employee who was stealing parts from VertexAuto over the term of 18 months (that we know of). Coincidently after a 6 month investigation he is now being prosicuted and was arrested and thrown in jail yesterday.

This is his way to retaliate. He thinks this type of tactic will work for him, unfortunately he is wrong. He also figued it would be a good idea to call our customers directly, who are now willing to testify against him, and admitted to them that he stole $60k from us!? What is this world coming to? He is a criminal And I think all you can tell by all the different post

If anyone has any questions please feel free to call me toll free at 866-668-0660

Thanks for your understanding,
Mike
So, got any muffler suggestions?

Bro
Old 02-15-2007 | 02:26 AM
loosecannon
Advanced

I have tried 6 different exhaust systems on my 911SC:
1.Stock-too quiet and restrictive
2.Bursch single in/single out-better but far from great
3.Supertrapp muffler-way too loud, didn't sound right, no extra power
4.Headers with dual 40 series Flowmasters-way, way too loud, great raspy sound, great power
5.Same as above with modified tips-still too loud, great raspy sound, less power
6.Headers with Flowmaster Series 80 (part#42582)muffler, dual in/dual out, tucks behind engine beautifully-wicked GT3 like sound(seriously-it's the best sounding car-ever), doesn't weigh too much and car made 247 hp at the wheels with it.
Old 02-15-2007 | 11:35 AM
SMR996
Burning Brakes

I have the Fabspeeds. I weighed them before I put them on and I believe they were +/ - 7 lbs lighter that the stock cans.....

You can go to their site and download the sound bytes to hear the exhaust.... If you decide to buy, order direct from Fabspeed and tell them you are a Rennlist member to get the 15% discount...
Old 02-18-2007 | 10:52 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by loosecannon
I have tried 6 different exhaust systems on my 911SC:
1.Stock-too quiet and restrictive
2.Bursch single in/single out-better but far from great
3.Supertrapp muffler-way too loud, didn't sound right, no extra power
4.Headers with dual 40 series Flowmasters-way, way too loud, great raspy sound, great power
5.Same as above with modified tips-still too loud, great raspy sound, less power
6.Headers with Flowmaster Series 80 (part#42582)muffler, dual in/dual out, tucks behind engine beautifully-wicked GT3 like sound(seriously-it's the best sounding car-ever), doesn't weigh too much and car made 247 hp at the wheels with it.

247 at the wheels!!! Which headers are you running? Any engine mods?
Old 03-11-2007 | 04:01 PM
loosecannon
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1957 356
247 at the wheels!!! Which headers are you running? Any engine mods?
Sorry this took so long to reply. The engine is a 1982 3.0 911SC engine with:
MSD ignition
headers
flowmaster exhaust(custom made by me-dual in-dual out)
964 cams
Webers
It may be interesting to note that it made 247 at the wheels with a horrible misfire. I have since diagnosed the problem and hope to get back to the dyno soon. See my other thread about the problem: https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum/335911-got-a-misfire-and-an-msd.html
Old 03-13-2007 | 01:39 AM
largecar379
Three Wheelin'

use the biggest flowmaster and tubing you can find. I personally uses 3 inch pipes on my 928. Only way to go.......

regards--RHJ

Quick Reply: Looking for muffler suggestions